Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Tudelum48

Tudelum48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SD card is a preloaded City Navigator and the Cant Load Maps still shows up when the CN sd card is removed.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'd be much easier if you had file explorer options set to show extensions (.img, etc) you've got that turned off... however the map files are the ones labeled "disc image file"

This looks like the unit's internal memory and has the two that are normally there (e.g. gmapbmap.img is the basemap and gmaptz is usually there too) gmapsupp is most likely user loaded and if you turn on extension visibility (ggogle instructions if need be) you can change it very easily to something like .tmp or .jnk and then it will be invisible... if that fixes things, all good... it's small enough that even if you don't delete renamed it's not going to hurt a thing. If it doesn't solve it, change the extension back to .img
  3. Tudelum48

Tudelum48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it was something pretty easy and I felt good about it I would try and delete something. We leave for a one month 7000 mile trip in 2 weeks and I cant in good continence take a chance on my buddies GPS right now when the only problem is he had to push enter to clear the Cant Unlock Maps. I hoped it would be an easy fix I would be comfortable doing. I do appreciate ever ones input.
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's really quite easy and odds are>90% it's the gmapsupp.img - renaming the extension is reversible and risk free
  5. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to decide whether wire the AMPS mount hot to the battery or switched. I see in the menu settings there are "External Power On" and "External Power Off" menu options.

"External Power On" menu choices are "Turn On" or "Charge Battery" and "External Power Off" options are "Turn Off" or "Stay On."

If I wire this hot to the battery, external power will always be "On," so regardless of whether the unit is powered On or Off, the battery will be charging, correct?

I normally wire my GPS hot because I have good enough discipline to remember to turn the unit off to avoid draining the vehicle battery.

But if I understand the menu options correctly, I'm thinking there's no downside to wiring the cradle to a switched source. I always want the unit to stay powered ON when I shut the bike off, which seemingly can be accomplished through a menu option.

The unit will always be charging when the switched power source is on, so the (GPS) internal battery will stay charged.

I guess the only potential downside to a switched source is if you are using the unit extensively in the unpowered cradle (when in camp, for example), eventually you will run the units battery down. But that would probably take quite a while.

Anything I'm misinterpreting here? In a nut shell, I like for the unit to stay powered ON when the bike is off. And I have no problem turning the unit ON manually when desired.
  6. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    mine is switched. I have to turn the GPS off after turning the bike off
    TipsyMcStagger likes this.
  7. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed the cradle on the bike so it's switched. I have the 276Cx adjusted so the GPS power will remain "on" when the cradle power is lost.

With the GPS powered off and in the cradle, when the cradle receives power, I see a very faint Garmin indication on the screen but the display doesn't really come on. If I hit the power button, I get a weird quick flash of info including half a red bar across the display and then the display illuminates normally.

Is this typical? It's not really a problem per se, but I'm wondering if the display typically comes on "hands off" when power is applied to the cradle?
  8. Madman4049

Madman4049 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got one of these things but wired mine into a PDM60 that was already on the bike for other accessories. It's programmed to come on a minute after power so accessories don't draw from the bike during starting and then stay on for several minutes after bike shutdown. I set the GPS to turn on with power and off with power off, I figure if I want to run it with the bike off I'm not going to be on the bike anyway and the gps has a massive battery anyway so I'll just yank it off the cradle and run it off battery.
  9. joeclimber

joeclimber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The challenge with the 276cx is it powers off without asking. My Montana would ask and wait 30 seconds. When I had it set to turn on and off with external power, it would go off if I stalled the bike and restarted. This happens in tight trails on occasion or if I turn the engine off to wait for others. I would then have to press the power button. It is now set to turn on with power and stay on. Manually turning it off is not nearly as annoying as having to wait for the map and track to come back. It will kill the battery in a day or so if I don't turn it off.
  10. Karlten

Karlten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Menu-Setup-External Power Off- Chose between 'Turn Off' or 'Stay on'.
    Stay on I find more useful i.e at fuel stations, I turn off my ignition, fill up then reset the trip odometer and check track/route anything else etc.
    It is just a simple setting joeclimber- not exactly what I would call 'a challenge' :fpalm d'Oh!
  11. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a simple task, but why they wouldn't have the 30 sec timeout like every other Garmin Ive owned, be it a hiking or car model, is beyond me.
  12. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I requested Garmin to put the time out feature back in 2 years ago. Easy thing to do and why not. Well, you know the result: nothing.

Just like I asked them to brighten the startup screen that shows when starting the unit. When outside in the sun it is nearly imposable to see if it is starting. No response or change. Why oh why????

I send in about 2 dozen other issues or suggestions. It seems they have no interest in user experiences or suggestions.
    CLANTECH likes this.
  13. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    276CX guys.. any regrets? I really think this is the GPS I want for its large and easy to see screen
  14. Tenderboy

Tenderboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Worst piece of equipment I ever bought.

Right now I am in Italy off-roading. Its OK for following tracks... but don't plan on planning routes on it or try get an overview.

Yesterday I tried to zoom out hutting the zoom button 5 times... the 276cx needed almost 30 seconds for redrawing the map. With only the basemap active!
  15. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I am amazed to read posts like this. I can't imagine why your experience is so different from mine. (I find the Garmin Base Map to be pretty useless, why are you choosing to use it?)

I have used my 276cx for well over a year, using both routes and tracks, on city roads and mountain trails; in Spain with Garmin CN Europe maps; in Western USA and Canada with Garmin CN and OSM maps; in Peru with OSM and PERUT maps. Zooms fine, routes fine, redraws fine. I would buy another if I lost mine.

It does have quirks, and can be annoying- mostly you have to learn your way around in the menus - but I think it's a fine GPS.

................shu
    alexf800gs likes this.
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been outstanding for my use - unlike others - and I'm *not* dismissing that some folks have trouble - it has been working very well for me in pretty much all regards particularly after the last firmware update which made the weather radar go from barely usable to working quite well. No performance issues with the several mapsets I'm using and the past bugs that required occasional reboots to get settings to work right or to solve some quirky behavior have not been showing up. Since that last update it's been excellent and I am using the pedal cadence sensor, temperature sensor, wheel speed sensor and the heart rate monitor when on the bicycle - very cool to have that stuff. I also use it on motos, 4x4 and car and no issues. Screen is awesome battery life very good. Routing works well for me as does tracks and logging (the logs also have heart rate, temperature and pedal cadence - very, very cool). The wheel speed sensor gives me the tire diameter that aided calibrating another speed sensor on the bike too. I haven't tried it with more than one routable mapset since that caused all kinds of issues in montana.

Past firmware versions had plenty of issues and that's not to say there aren't any with the present - I'm just not experiencing any problems for how I use it... frankly I don't even give the unit a lot of thought, it's just part of my instrumentation...

Zero regrets, a very valuable piece of my equipment

[​IMG]
    farmerger, Reddog* and Lobby like this.
  17. Tenderboy

Tenderboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used Basemap because with European CN or open topo maps it would need 50 seconds for redrawing.

Also I have my 3rd device, because my first 2 died after some months ("luckily" always when I was on holiday abroad). Just didn't start anymore.

I niw just use it as backup device because I wouldn't get more than 400 euros for it and it cost me almost 900 with European CN maos and the Touratech cradle.
  18. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had mine lock up for the first time last week - otherwise it's been fine.
    I've run into issues on other Garmin's before with the micro SD memory cards - use the fastest ones you can get.
    Copied off my existing card to a Sandisk Extreme card and things seem to be better.

I suspect the 276cx will use the fastest cards you can get.
    Considering that you are accessing LARGE amounts of data on that card, you would be well advised to use the best quality and fastest cards you can get.
    speednut and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  19. Jss1

Jss1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I think it's pretty good for what I need, I mainly use it as a marine chart plotter on a small ish boat, I use garmin bluecharts on it. The screen is great in bright sunlight, the fact that it is not touchscreen is a real plus on a moving boat., battery life is great, map draw performance is adequate . It is quite sensitive to the speed of the sd card you use, you would be well served to get the fastest sd card you can buy. The menus are not hugely easy to use and are quite old fashioned.

I can see how people could be very disappointed with it though, especially if they were expecting Google maps style functionality/usability.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    if you read the the thread that's pretty much normal for this unit. not ready a big deal if you're just looking at it in the shade to review a route, but terrible for street navigation. some have said the firmware update helped marginally, but majority confirms it's just what is expected from the unit.