Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    4.60 (latest)
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a look at my last six months of logs and don't see anything even remotely like that

In your log there was some very minor variation in the "flat spot"... that and latest firmware suggest it's unlikely it just hung

It's possible with the auto-calibration off that the static pressure port has got some crud in it... I'm not exactly sure where the port is but I see a small hole that's under the battery cover next to the latch - make sure it's clean... There's also a small hole in the cover that's got a blob of something on the inside of the cover but it's hard to see how that would be the static port but you never know.

You may want to send the log to garmin and see what they've got to say - if you go that route let us know how it works out... I've definitely haven's seen anything like it in my logs (I've got tons of them too
  3. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I'm going to check the holes in the housing first, my barometric altimeter has never been great anyway. Could be the same problem. Thanks for the tip.

(can I just turn it off and just use the gps elevation, like on my old 276c?)

To be coninued, it's a bank holiday here. Riding time!
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can display GPS elevation but I'm not so sure about the logging - I'd prefer to log GPS elevation since on vehicles that are exposed to the wind stream it can be very noisy and way off
  5. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I've just ordered one of these Garmin GPSMAP 276cx devices for dual sport trail riding on legal byways in England and Wales. I have a 2017 Africa Twin DCT, and will only really use it for motorcycling. Getting to and from trails.

I have read as much as I can on this device but still have some questions please and I hope you have the answers.

1) I'm planning on installing the Garmin Topo Great Britain Pro maps onto the 276cx

a) The Garmin Topo 1:50k map appears to be downloadable onto internal memory. It also appears to have the new trail routing options. So this was my primary choice, using it alongside Garmin City Navigator for UK.

i) Is downloading onto internal memory going to be the fastest option for screen refreshes?

b) The Garmin Topo 1:25k map appears to be downloadable only onto an SD Card. I've heard this produces very slow screen refresh rates, is this solved by using a very fast SD Card? If so, what would be the recommended fastest SD Card?

i) On the Garmin Website, it also suggests with this 1:25k map, you get street navigation provided by 'HERE' some sort of third party??
    ii) Is 'HERE' street routing any good, is it a direct replacement for Garmin City Navigator? As I cannot find any information on it?

Many thanks

Steve
  6. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and with a bit of luck, I'm hoping to integrate it with my Garmin Inreach Explorer Plus (SOS SAR) device.

Any tips on this would also be helpful.
  7. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the name of the company that provides the map info to Garmin. They used to be called Navteq.

Here also makes a navigation app for Android which is free and uses their own maps and POI data.

I believe they are now owned by a group of automobile companies.
  8. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OS mapping will certainly test your patience warlord
    It does not matter where you install it
    The 276cx crawls along...Far better off using a smart phone for OS mapping that's what i do and use the 276cx for city nav where it's performance is just about acceptable
  9. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don' think it makes any difference whether maps are loaded onto SD or internal - with some units (e.g. montana) the SD is actually faster than internal

It seems some maps do fine, others get poor reports - e.g. all the north american maps I've used (many hundreds of hours on the clock now), including city navigator and topo, have very good performance however some non-north american users using third-party maps have reported very poor performance...

Let us know how yours work out with which maps - make sure you have the latest firmware!
  10. Sattphalat

Sattphalat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree.
    Unless your internal memory start to fill up. My experience is that Garmin work great with 3 part maps like OSM. And national Topo.
    Garmin is an advanced navigation unit. If not 3 parts national maps like marine, topo or technical maps for land measure works, Garmin is dead as a fish. Garmin maps stinks.
    Don't now much about in reach. But connected to Garmin connect and Strava beacon you can share live track.
    You also have a simple rout-planner in Connect. Only issue is that you must go trough basecamp to upload the routes you planned. 1,5 years ago it was possible trough WiiFee. Not anymore.
    Best regards
  11. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am doing my route planning in the Furkot (table top or tablet). When I am at home I transfer the routes .gpx file from computer to 276cx memory via wire. When I am at tour I will use my tablet (iPad mini) and transfer the Furkot tracks via SD card (iOS 13 aka iPadOS supports fully the external sd cards via Apple card reader also other files like gpx not just photos and vids).
    Sattphalat likes this.
  12. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I hear you.

Well, the 276cx arrives tomorrow, so first thing I'll do is update the firmware to the latest version.

I've bought a £40 eBay Garmin Topo GB Pro 1:50k scale map, which I'll try first. It's cheap and I can return it within 60 days for a full refund. So it's worth messing about with that first I guess. It's supposed to be a 2019 version, so will include routing via tracks. If it doesn't do that, then I know its an old copy and I'll get my money back.

I've bought a SanDisk Extreme Class 10 - 64GB microSD card, which I'm hoping will work and provide fast read speeds. Any feedback on this would be useful?

I don't mind buying the Genuine Garmin Topo GB Pro 1:50k scale download maps (if they work well). I don't want the whole of Europe, as I'll use a different bike (and Nav) for that. I don't think I'll need 1:25k scale maps as I only want motorcycle Byways.

Will I need the Garmin City Navigator? for road navigation?
  13. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, where are the problem maps coming from?

Is it the UK where the detail might be way more than in a remote part of the world?

Is it the higher 1:25k scale maps causing problems?

Is it the larger map files (like the whole of Europe), instead of just the UK map files, that cause the problems?

Are Garmin Topo Maps OK? Or do I need to go elsewhere for faster maps?
  14. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any first hand with problem maps - hopefully someone that does can chime in

The only folks that I've heard complaining lately were using maps for outside north america

The latest firmware is pretty good - I've only found one very minor bug... older ones had issues

I'm not sure about 64GB SD though - that may be an issue... On the garmin site page they list:
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?f...607-00&tab=topics&topicTag=region_microsdcard

On the "related content" page (https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?f...607-00&tab=topics&topicTag=region_microsdcard) they don't show this unit but the only unit that supports more than 32GB is the monterra and that unit has an OS so it makes sense it would support more SD sizes/formats
  15. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks, I've ordered a 32GB card for delivery tomorrow.

Are the Garmin Topo Great Britain Maps scanned OS Maps? Or are they digital?

I ask because the cheap £40 Topo copy maps I bought off eBay, don't zoom very clearly and look like .jpeg scanned images. Are the Garmin ones the same?
  16. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure it is not related to what area of the world the map covers, but rather the street / poi density. Western Europe will have a lot more roads and other information and will update more slowly. I was in Istanbul this spring. A huge city with lots and lots of small streets and POI's and the updating, even at zoomed in levels, was extremely slow. Lot worse then I have seen anywhere else and just about unusable. Initially I thought something was wrong with the GPS or the map. However, getting out of town and everything went back to "normal". OSM or Garmin maps worked very much in a similar fashion. I noticed similar behavior in Western Europe. Area's with lots of roads and towns = slower update then normal slow updates. Steve, you in AZ, will not have this problem (neither do I in CO). We are lucky to live in a place without tons of people.

The exception may be those who use certain uncommon type of maps. I believe GaryH (maybe some else in GB) said he used certain raster (?) GB maps that are extremely slow to update at all times. I don't believe there are a lot of that type of maps around.

I can not specifically address the GB Garmin topo maps, but the Garmin US topo maps are vector maps, not jpeg / raster. You may also want to check out the OSM maps in lieu of topo maps (garmin.openstreetmap.nl) . They are free so why not check them out and are often quit good for off the beaten track riding, especially in Europe. Lots of people there that keep the OSM maps in very good shape. My US Garmin topo maps are often not nearly as up to date and detailed as the OSM maps. YMMV
  17. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been on a 2 hour crash course in the difference between Vector Maps and Raster Maps.

The £40 cheapo map I got off eBay is a Garmin 2017/2018 raster map. It looks like a scanned copy of the Ordnance Survey map.

I've since found a website called https://talkytoaster.me.uk/ who offer a Vector Style map for the United Kingdom, which I've bought as well.

So this means, I think, that I can flick between the two if I need to. But mainly use the talkytoaster vector map.

Routing via roads, I can use the Garmin City Navigator
  18. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Talkytoaster are the best vector maps for detail but may not suit everyone for routing algorithms as Talkytoaster does not drive.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ is an excellent all round vector map site in my experience, don't forget the donate if you use them.
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    @khpossum - I agree... it's not that north america is special, just that the only maps I have experience are north american maps and no matter how dense the location (I've used the unit in the bay area and other cities - there are parts of AZ that are fairly dense too although admittedly most of it is open), no worries - and that the only reports of poor performance in this thread I recollect were maps outside north america

I should have also pointed out that all the large maps I've had experience with are vector maps too - the exception is some simple raster maps I made myself but aren't large enough to be good test cases for performance... although I haven't had any issues with them even track up

I would not be at all surprised at very poor performance with large raster maps - I wouldn't expect good results, especially if not north up map, track up would likely suck big time... no matter the region... :wink:

I also haven't heard so much complaining with later firmware releases but would expect the firmware releases to principally improve vector performance - I understand that there were issues with any map when the unit was first released

If (big if) the performance issues are specific to raster maps that to me is a non-issue - I can't imagine why anyone informed of the difference would use a raster map for regional navigation in any device... I understand plenty may not understand the difference though...
  20. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Interesting- I did not have that problem in Spain at all. Madrid is certainly a 'dense' place, as are other major cities there, but my 276cx kept up just fine using City Navigator. It was a bit slow to re-route me if I got off track, but that is another problem.

..............shu