Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Yes Shu, I know, it remains weird. It appears, just a wild guess, that it handles not just the data shown on the screen, but maybe a whole map tile (or 2) involved. Or something like that. Istanbul is 5 times as large as Madrid, so maybe the CX deals with a whole lot more map data there besides what is shown on the screen when zooming and panning. So in Istanbul it was possibly trying to juggle the whole city of 15 mil people when zooming / panning. The trouble I had in Istanbul applied to OSM as well as Garmin maps, which leads me to believe it is a CX / data quantity issue, not a map brand issue.
    shu likes this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it's just an underpowered device.
    Garry H, Tenderboy and chris_sav like this.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inmates are entitled to post their thoughts/opinions whether or not they have owned the unit in question or even ever intend to own one. More posts have been pruned to HE. This is an above the basement thread. Keep the discourse civil.
  4. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok what appears to be my final setup...

- Latest Version Firmware Updated (as of September 2019)
    - 8GB Class 10 MicroSD Card
    - Garmin City Navigator download from Garmin Website (UK & Ireland Only)
    - Talky Toaster TT50 (1:50,000) Look n Feel map (UK & Ireland Only)
    - Garmin Topo GB Pro (1:50,000)

All seem to work ok.

The initial device-ON map loading takes about 6 seconds, which is acceptable.

Flicking between the maps is pretty much instant, which is acceptable.

Map movement up to 80mph seems to track ok (albeit I've only done one short trip), more testing needed, but initially seems ok.

Rendering a fresh screen if moving cursor completely off-map takes a while, that is a noticeable delay and can take a while to refresh. So probably won't do that often.

I've started creating and saving my waypoints of favorite lanes and Byways, getting them on the map is very quick using the find button.

So all in all, seems to do the job for me. Maps are nice.
    Reddog* likes this.
  5. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some Pictures of my setup 20190903_150320.jpg 20190903_150408.jpg 20190903_150320.jpg 20190903_150452.jpg 20190903_150408.jpg 20190903_150452.jpg 20190903_150942.jpg 20190903_151012.jpg 20190903_151026.jpg 20190903_151036.jpg

Attached Files:

Bianchi and ohgood like this.
  6. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some Pictures of the Garmin City Navigator Screens CN0.jpg CN1.jpg CN2.jpg
    Bianchi likes this.
  7. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some Pictures of the Talky Toaster TT50 Maps TalkyToaster.jpg TT1.jpg TT2.jpg TT3.jpg
    Bianchi likes this.
  8. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some Pictures of the Garmin Topo Maps Topo1.jpg Topo2.jpg Topo3.jpg
    Bianchi likes this.
  9. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Toggle 5.jpg
    Thank you to the Genius on here who suggested modifying a Wii Controller Thumbstick controller, and sticking it to the cursor direction controller with strong double sided tape.

It worked a treat. Cheers

I bought two off eBay, and filed one down by repeatedly scuffing it over a medium large file I had in the tool box. Then scraped the edge clean with a razor blade. Washed under tap, blowdry with hairdryer and while warm, applied the double sided tape and trimmed to suit.

Very happy, works great Toggle 0.jpg
    Toggle 1.jpg

Toggle 2.jpg

Toggle 3.jpg

Toggle 4.jpg
    tk1250gsa, Antikid, Reddog* and 3 others like this.
  10. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a video I made earlier showing the Garmin 276cx screen in DIRECT SUNLIGHT, compared to a Garmin Zumo 660 and BMW Nav VI screen in direct sunlight.

Just to show how much of a difference it is.

11. Warlord888

Warlord888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of the static pictures Zumo660a.jpg Zumo660b.jpg Zumo660c.jpg
    Reddog* and shu like this.
  12. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the 276Cx on 12V vehicle power and the 660 and Nav VI on battery power? Even with the brightness set to 100%, Garmins tend to get a significant boost in brightness when on vehicle power instead of battery power. I don't doubt the 276Cx will still look better, but it would be an interesting comparison to see all of them on 12V vehicle power.

Sometimes you can simulate vehicle (external) power using a USB power bank connected to the Zumo via a Garmin power USB cable (not data cable or it will go into data transfer mode). Go into a dark area and connect the power bank and see if the brightness goes up significantly and the battery charging icon comes on.
  13. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    So, I have been emailing back and forth with Garmin this week about my "freezing" altimeter, and I have to admit, they are really helpful. I sent them GPX files, config files, they gave suggestions and checked if my setting were wrong.

I'm going to do one last run this weekend, and if that doesn't work I can exchange the unit for a new one for less than 100 bucks (it's 2½ years old). I think that's pretty generous.
  14. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who realized the usefulness of this new iOS13 feature for ADV riding.

Jamie
    yoohah likes this.
  15. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Ok, last update: So in October 2016 I bought my (offroad/hiking) GPSMap276Cx. back then I couldn’t buy it in a bundle with routing maps, but had to buy these separately (which I didn’t immediately). Half a year later Garmin offers the same GPS in a bundle with routed maps. I contacted Garmin back then, and could swap mine for a new one with routed maps for the price difference between with and without CN NA. So I did. Fast forward two and a half years, and recently I find out the altimeter in my GPS wasn’t working properly (freezes every now and then, only on longer rides). It’s two and a half years old now. Not a big problem, but it should just work.

I contacted Garmin last week, shared logging and config files, and they decided to swap my unit for a new one, including two cradles, cables, charger for only a hundred bucks (new price 799 sans tax). They’re sending me the new unit right away and I have to ship the old unit back after I have received the new one. “you can keep the battery, cradles, just the unit”.

pretty good service
  16. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my much preferred setup for for running OS mapping on the bike
    It must be 50 times faster than the 276cx and just as visible ( this pic is in bright sunlight )
    The 276 really sucks with OS raster mapping and if you want decent mapping in the UK for off road you need OS mapping
    But you don't want the 276's slow draw and pan speed IMG_20190921_160347.jpg
    justcountry04, Yellow Pig and ohgood like this.
  17. CLANTECH

CLANTECH At work...

Oddometer:
    iPhone or Samsung Tablet? Which software?

Cheers
  18. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7" android smart phone ...Alpine quest app... memory map qct maps
    Home made mounting that clips into the Garmin 276cx/montana mount
    10 hour battery life at full brightness
    I will post some more pics up tomorrow
    It works very well...It's a real shame Garmin put such a slug of a processor in the 276
    I like to look around and see what is about on the map and find the 276 almost unusable with OS mapping. You just keep loosing track of where you are on the map while you wait for it to redraw
    This phone redraws as fast as you can pan the map at any scale
  19. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picture of the bottom of the mount so it will fit in the Garmin montana mounting
    I can swap over in seconds
    IMG_20190922_153035.jpg
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i thought the 276 shared mounts with the Montana ?