Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Maybe in the low-end GA market, but Garmin's avionics systems are in very widespread use on newer aircraft, and as retrofit upgrades for older aircraft moving to a glass cockpit. The Garmin Pilot and Foreflight tablet apps are impressive and can do some very cool stuff, but they're still a far cry from having the full glass cockpit.

I can't speak to the marine market, because boats ain't my thing. :D

--mark
    slime and ohgood like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You're 'nit' picking ;)
    AugustFalcon, Exurban and chris_sav like this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    those pilots are sneakily smart things... they get all the gizmos if someone else is paying for it, and just what they need if they are ;-)
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Depends how much money they have. If they can afford to buy a newish Bonanza or something, they can probably afford to sink $20,000 into glass cockpit upgrades. If their idea of luxury is finally being able to buy themselves that 50-year-old Cessna 150, yeah, steam gauges and an iPad on a RAM mount stuck to the window. :lol3

Speaking of which, I got a new iPad this weekend, and despite restoring from a backup from my old iPad, I had to sign back into Garmin Pilot... which meant I could sign up for a new 30-day trial. :D It really is a cool app. You can display Open Street Maps, and it has a weather radar overlay fed by data from the Internet (no ADS-B or SiriusXM required). Of course it doesn't do road routing, but I may try running it on a secondary device just for overall situational awareness and big-picture map view. I may even try seeing if I can convert a route to a track in Basecamp, upload it to Pilot, and display it on screen; no idea if it'll do that. (It also just occurred to me that I should try running it in Split View mode with another GPS app. Many apps don't support Split View mode though -- Scenic and OSMand don't, no idea yet if Pilot does. Stuff to play with in the near future.)

Screen shot below. It was a clear night, so only thing showing on the radar is a couple of mountaintops. This app reminds me once again how easy it would be for Garmin to create the killer tablet motorcycle app if only they put a tiny amount of effort into it.

--mark

[​IMG]
  5. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to the terrestrial, of what value is the WiFi capability of the 276? Can I download routes from my laptop? Something about weather and updates but I’m having trouble figuring it out.
    Thx ahead!
    Donm
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never been able to do anything useful with the wifi feature, the bluetooth is great wifi not so much.
  7. an13

an13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No you can't upload routes or download tracks, thus WiFi can't be used to those things it would bring most value.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    wifi (to the rest of the world) = transfer stuff wirelessly

GARMIN wifi = you can do this one thing, but only to other devices we make, from the same product line, from the same year, if it's the same genre, and it's actually working, today.

LOL
  9. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Firmware upgrades & weather. That's it afaik...
    slime likes this.
  10. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    LOL yah it is pretty annoying it's like operating technology from 20 years ago.

I've never even bothered with either lol, I do upgrades through the cable after some weeks of frustration and tech support with multiple maps on an SD card, and as far as weather is concerned my phone is miles better between raindar, accuweather, and hell even my smartwatch there's no point to bothering with the gps and it's sluggishness.
    Parcero and Max Kool like this.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:

i hate that people are lead (by Garmin marketing) to believe that "wifi" on the box means "wifi that you're used to on laptops/phones/tablets/Starbucks/etc" ... then they buy the thing and find out how incredibly limited the Garmin version of "wifi" is. if they accept the short comings of this kind of handicapped wifi, they start to think it's normal, and that "Garmin Bluetooth" is the same on other devices too. it's a frustrating road of failure from there, until they finally user modern hardware and see how good it can be.
    Parcero and Madman4049 like this.
  12. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Yah it really is, alot of things are frustrating with Garmin, they're banking on their name and not really advancing with the times. Even their new Overlander as far as I can tell is a ruggedized android tablet for $700. I can buy a $200 Samsung tab put it in an otterbox or pelican case and achieve the same thing with Gaia. In fact I'm doing just that for my truck.

The 276CX is a very powerful GPS as a GPS but all the extra "features" not so much and it's sluggish by today's tech standards. They do make a bomb proof product and for offroad shit or if I'm doing long routes like an IBA where I want very specific waypoints, with a pre-determined layover time and don't want it auto rerouting to whatever it thinks is best every 5 minutes I use my Garmin. For day to day or just weekend trips I use my phone it's just better and easier. Birdseye for example a very oversold "feature" if I want top down satellite view of a long trip on the 276CX I have to spend literal hours downloading little bitty segments in basecamp or..... I can just pull up gaia or google maps on my note 10+ download half the state in 5 minutes and I have better looking satellite with traffic info, alerts, etc.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible or has anyone experience with using bluetooth for voice directions through simple car stereo with bluetooth?

I can't get it to work with 276cx, it works perfect with my smartphone.
  14. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    The other issue with Garmin is that their computer-based apps (Basecamp, for one) no longer functions on Macs using the newest Catalina OS. I’m sure Garmin will upgrade their software at some point but by that time a whole bunch of other customers might well have walked.

Garmin Express still functions for downloading and installing map updates the old-fashioned way—plugging the device into a computer.
  15. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Not with a car stereo but tried it a dozen times with my Cardo with no luck, doesn't matter if I'm doing city navigator or topo maps neither will do voice prompts.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

that's normal- the smartphone was intended to use all is antennas (including Bluetooth) all the time and do stuff for you. the Garmin, not so much.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:

last i heard basecamp was no longer in development. they're going to push users to an even less reliable application: a web based app.
    Parcero likes this.
  18. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    That's dumb basecamp is badass once you figure it out.
    AugustFalcon and Sattphalat like this.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any idea that less reliable Webb based app might be? Just curious. Thanks
  20. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Source?

(they just updated Basecamp to be compatible with Mac OS Catalina)