Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Maybe in the low-end GA market, but Garmin's avionics systems are in very widespread use on newer aircraft, and as retrofit upgrades for older aircraft moving to a glass cockpit. The Garmin Pilot and Foreflight tablet apps are impressive and can do some very cool stuff, but they're still a far cry from having the full glass cockpit.

I can't speak to the marine market, because boats ain't my thing. :D

--mark
    ohgood likes this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You're 'nit' picking ;)
    AugustFalcon, Exurban and chris_sav like this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    those pilots are sneakily smart things... they get all the gizmos if someone else is paying for it, and just what they need if they are ;-)
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Depends how much money they have. If they can afford to buy a newish Bonanza or something, they can probably afford to sink $20,000 into glass cockpit upgrades. If their idea of luxury is finally being able to buy themselves that 50-year-old Cessna 150, yeah, steam gauges and an iPad on a RAM mount stuck to the window. :lol3

Speaking of which, I got a new iPad this weekend, and despite restoring from a backup from my old iPad, I had to sign back into Garmin Pilot... which meant I could sign up for a new 30-day trial. :D It really is a cool app. You can display Open Street Maps, and it has a weather radar overlay fed by data from the Internet (no ADS-B or SiriusXM required). Of course it doesn't do road routing, but I may try running it on a secondary device just for overall situational awareness and big-picture map view. I may even try seeing if I can convert a route to a track in Basecamp, upload it to Pilot, and display it on screen; no idea if it'll do that. (It also just occurred to me that I should try running it in Split View mode with another GPS app. Many apps don't support Split View mode though -- Scenic and OSMand don't, no idea yet if Pilot does. Stuff to play with in the near future.)

Screen shot below. It was a clear night, so only thing showing on the radar is a couple of mountaintops. This app reminds me once again how easy it would be for Garmin to create the killer tablet motorcycle app if only they put a tiny amount of effort into it.

--mark

[​IMG]
    Parcero, Max Kool and ohgood like this.
  5. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to the terrestrial, of what value is the WiFi capability of the 276? Can I download routes from my laptop? Something about weather and updates but I’m having trouble figuring it out.
    Thx ahead!
    Donm
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never been able to do anything useful with the wifi feature, the bluetooth is great wifi not so much.