Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Sattphalat

Sattphalat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you download the app Garmin connect to your phone or PAD . And connect IT to Strava beacon you can share livetrack or your route/track on Twitter or Facebook.
    When you save the track it upload the track to the app automatically. There is also a simple routplanner in the app. But I have not figured out how to upload to gps device. One of the garmin issues. Device is not listed for that feature.
    Connected to a phone, you got weatherinfo, mail and messenger on the go.
    I think also voice driving instructions are available. But I have never used it. Probably only possible by cable.
    The easiest way to get routes or tracks into the device is to load it down to the memory card. With cable from pad or computer. The gpx file you can make in any route planner app.

https://apps.apple.com/no/app/garmin-connect/id583446403?l=nb

https://apps.apple.com/no/app/strava-run-ride-training/id426826309?l=nb

https://apps.apple.com/no/app/myroute-app-mobile/id969030524?l=nb
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

this is the old bookmark i had that said basecamp development was ending, but the webpage has changed drastically from what it used to say, which included that.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=cmo7YxRdRB1DDl1JAWuEV8

maybe they aren't ending development now, a year later ?

here's another forum thread about it i had bookmarked, but that linked discussion (on the Garmin website) has been edited to not say anything about ending development either.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?93920-Garmin-discontinues-BaseCamp-Support

well...i Dunno
  3. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I stand corrected. Garmin has, in fact, issued an update to Basecamp making it compatible with Apple’s new Catalina OS.

I just installed it, after first uninstalling and trashing the older version. I opened the new version, and it appears to be working.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually was at Garmin in Olethe Kansas just over a month ago.
    Drove through their parking lot, but couldn't find a place my extended cargo van and trailer.
    To be fair, there was a LOT of construction going on there.

I have a background as a programmer, and do alot of GPS work to the level of recompiling maps.
    So, I wanted to drop in and talk with some of their folk on a variety of subjects.
    Didn't happen as I couldn't park.

But - I think I'll drop in late April on my way back from my winter travels.

I was in the area working on a route that I'll be releasing this winter - The Santa Fe Trail National Historic Route.
    Another one in the queue after that - The Mormon National Historic Trail.
    Have all the GPS tracks ridden, adding waypoints and writing doc files.

Garmin had a neat chartplotter - the Echomap plus 43 CV - that would work great for our uses if they unlocked it so we could use automotive maps.
    They used to have chartplotters that were dual use - that's what I use alot - like the GPSMAP 498. Old, slow by today's standard, poor satellite reception and proprietary memory cards - BUT big bright easy to see screen, rugged, water proof, good power connection.
  5. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

Check out Lowrance if you're interested in chartplotters.
  6. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about a Garmin Chartplotter on my motorcycle. I recompiled the old Road & Rec into bigger - and few - segments so I can load large areas.

I've had a Garmin 498 chartplotter on 1 to 3 of my motorcycles at any given time.
    Dr650SE, XR650L, Versys - I've had it on all of these, and I have 3 DR650SE's that I've had it on all three.
    Started doing this in 2012.

I know Lowrance has chartplotters, but the support infrastructure for the Garmin's are much better.
    The old 498 doesn't handle overlays with tracks, but it sure does handle overlays of waypoints.
    So, I always load overlays for US campgrounds (12000 waypoints), Canadian campgrounds (900+ waypoints), Hot Springs (1702 waypoints) and sometimes I load the overlays for Hostels (maybe 700 waypoints).
    I don't know if Lowrance has tools that would allow me to build overlays like that. I use IMGfromGPX.

Also, there are OSM maps available for free for the Garmins. Updated biweekly. Worldwide maps, or regional.
  7. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A rider i know (fellow IBR finisher) was having Garmin issues many years ago and dropped by Garmin to get some assistance.

Apparently they cannot accommodate visitors but they offered to let him use the phone in the waiting area to call tech support :rofl:rofl

He was not amused
  8. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where was tech support, India?
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that!

[​IMG]

In 2007 I took a several month trip around North America and spent about two months in Mexico. Before the trip I bought a Garmin Quest II GPS. Not long after I got into Mexico, the GPS started acting up. It would randomly shut down, freeze. Wouldn't turn on.

I emailed Garmin tech support and explained the problem, that I was in Mexico for a couple months, that I could go to Mexico City or Guadalajara or wherever to get the GPS fixed or exchanged for a new one. Tech support was unhelpful. Their only solution was that I could ship it to them and they'd fix it and send it back and gave me a ridiculous turnaround time of three weeks or something. Not to mention, where would I have them ship it to?

So... when I got back to the US I made a point of going through Olathe, Kansas where Garmin World Headquarters is located. I went inside the reception area and explained the situation to the receptionist. Just as you described, she pointed me to a couple of chairs with a phone and told me I could call tech support. :lol3 It was silly. So far as I could tell, it was just as if I called tech support from my own phone. It's not like it was a direct line or anything. I had to wait on hold like everyone else.

Eventually a guy picked up and I told him my situation, that I was in the middle of a multi-month motorcycle trip around North America, that my GPS wasn't working right, and that I wanted to get it fixed or replaced, and I added that, "I'm here in Olathe."

He asked me, "Where in Olathe are you?"

I said... "Um.. I guess in your main office."

So he asked, "You mean here at the headquarters?" I told him I was, so he said, "Wait there. I'll be right down."

So a few minutes later the guy shows up. I show him the GPS and he wants to see my bike. He inspected my homemade mounting bracket and wiring, and though he didn't say it, I think he was considering giving me a Zumo, which had just come out. Only trouble was that mounting a completely different GPS on the bike and wiring it would have been a decent amount of work.

So he finally said, "Wait here. I'll be right back."

He returned with another Quest II. Apparently it was his own test unit that he used when customers called the tech support line. He said he would hold onto mine. Have it repaired, and when I got back from my trip, I could send him his GPS back, and he would send me mine.

And that's what we did!

So... eventually they did take care of it, but I think it was mainly because I won the tech support lottery and got someone who was interested in motorcycles or something.

Jamie
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

way cool!
  11. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to try 3D printing a cover for the 276cx. Would someone having one be so kind as to throw it on a scanner and post the jpeg image here? Thanks.
  12. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    You know you can buy them on Ebay for 15 bucks??
  13. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Well the point is to do my own.

BTW the eBay link you sent shows Cdn$19.78 plus a mere Cdn$69.70 for shipping!!
  14. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    lol sorry, didn't look at shipping :(

(but yes, it's a nice exercise )
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    The $18 Garmin cover I purchased via Amazon works just fine. @bmwroadsterca , I do understand the need for CAD-play, so here are a couple of shots for you. The key internal feature is the silicon rubber ring-seal with 'tabs' that keep the cover from rubbing on the display.

DC19DED1-C92D-48F7-927C-55DAD68E7A12.jpeg 9B735277-160B-4FB8-AE96-16EB2A8ABEFE.jpeg

Have fun!
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  16. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  17. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    A more general question, how can I sync basecamp data (way points and routes) on two computers? Can Dropbox be used? The Garmin supplied cloud just seems to pour everything into one bucket and present it in a mass, no folders etc.

Thx!
  18. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I found this . It is a bit tedious and will require some computer geeky stuff, but it works like a charm. My basecamp data now resides on my dropbox folder. Let me know if you can figure this out. For myself I put an extract together down to the minimum but very specific for my Win 10 computers

KP
  19. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering this- if I take a computer away from WiFi ( Dropbox access) is the data on the computer?
  20. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    If Dropbox is on your computer as it should be then your Basecamp data is there. The next time you are back on wifi it will sync back to their servers and be available to your other computers to sync to their Dropbox folders.
    CLANTECH likes this.