1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool! Gonna give it a study and an attempt.
    Thanks.
  2. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind you need to do this on every computer, so your Basecamp on every computer refers to its Dropbox folder. Also make sure Dropbox has had a chance to sync before you start Basecamp on a different computer. If you are not computer savvy the procedure in he linked page may cause you some grieve, but eventually you will get there. It does work. and it is worth the trouble.
  3. DonM

Oddometer:
    I been ‘fudddled’ with the drop box concept, kind of like the quantum entanglement :hmmmmm is it really in two places at the same time.

not a physicist and could not play one on tv. :)

thanks for the extra guidance!
  4. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Can I suggest you get somebody to help you?
  5. DonM

Oddometer:
    I was a bit tongue in cheek :)
    Thanks for the instructions!
  6. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I also just found out, I think, that the versions of base camp on the 2 or more computers must be the same. It appears that with a different version the Basecamp database is stored in a folder with a different name. I think you need to make sure the Basecamp data base is the same on both computers (Dropbox will take care of that) and then update Basecamp on both.

The folders are named 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 and such so this may only apply with major Basecamp updates (from 4.5 to 4.6 to 4.7 and such)
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that you cannot have multiple BaseCamps accessing the same database at the same time (concurrently). Make sure only one BaseCamp is ON at a time. Get into the habit of turning BaseCamp OFF when you leave one computer for another.

In addition, it is a really good idea to Backup your Database regularly using the BaseCamp Backup feature. These backup's can also be saved to your Dropbox so they are available on all of your BaseCamp computers.
  8. ConiKost

ConiKost n00b

Oddometer:
    Does it make any difference in terms of speed, if map is installed on internal memory instead on a fast sd card?
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.
    ConiKost likes this.
  10. ConiKost

ConiKost n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  11. ConiKost

ConiKost n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to ask again ;-) Can the list of maps be sorted? It seems, that it is pretty chaotic.
    Otherwise, I am pretty happy and 276Cx worked just fine for me on my first ride.
  12. fastdresser

fastdresser n00b

Oddometer:
    Fairly new to the forum, so pardon me if I'm repeating old info. Been a long time user of Garmin GPS's, most use is with 276's & 478's. Had a few touch screens along the way but prefer the pushbutton style. Have used the 478 for years, love it, have two of them, however, with Garmin not doing map upgrades any longer, I finally decided a couple years ago to get the 276CX. Took me a long time to really start using it, always just kept using the 478. Lately I've been trying to "warm" up to it, but have had numerous issues. I use the GPS 90% of the time for motorcycling, the other 10% in the car. For some time now I've had occasional "locking up" problems, and have narrowed down the problem to be caused by using the "find" - "near current route". When using this command and finding various things such as lodging, gas, restaurants, etc. near the current route, the GPS will freeze, and the only way I can get it to function again is to remove the battery. Obviously this is extremely inconvenient on the bike and a royal PITA. Have had numerous conversations and emails with Garmin and specifically to one support person that has been extremely helpful. They could not replicate the issue and thought it was the GPS. The unit was replaced but the problem persisted. After months of battling this issue and constant communications with Garmin, Garmin was able to duplicate the problem and realized it is a programming issue. It's been months now and no software upgrades have been made to correct this issue. I can't believe I'm the only one that is complaining about this issue. Obviously when navigating a route I use the "find" feature quite frequently, and finding things "near current route" is extremely helpful. I have also sent to Garmin a list of about ten other issues I feel are very undesirable with the 276CX vs the older platforms, hoping they might take them seriously and do some software upgrades on those things as well. Am I the only one that has been having this lock up/freeze issue?
    ohgood and CLANTECH like this.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    there are others, yes. mostly tho, the brand loyalists just shout them down and say everything is fine... soooooo no one pipes up again. it's not the best way to inform folks, but it makes the product SRM like it is magically healing itself or something.
    pepebayeta likes this.
  14. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Oh Goodie, OhGood is back again and as usually it can be summarized as blah-blah-blah blah blah. And as always: nothing to contribute, nothing to say.

Back to the fastdresser post: yes, I have had similar issues, not sure anymore exactly what caused it, but it was related to the search function. Very repeatable problem when I ran into it. Most likely the same scenario you describe. Like you only removing the battery resets the unit. The "good" thing is that this is the only lockup issue I have encountered. But as you mention it is very annoying and it is hard to understand why it is not getting a fix. It couldn't possibly be that hard.

Besides this lock up issue the search function is in general poorly programmed. It takes forever to find things.

In the past I have submitted probably 25 or so issues or improvement reports to Garmin. It seems they mostly don't care. It is hit and miss if the person you contact gives a rats ass or not Some are very good, many don't care, don't know or just go thru the motions.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    hi there ! :-)

(see what i mean)

if you would like to discuss the shortcomings and fixes, I'm all ears. unfortunately, it would be a very short conversation on the fixes part
    chris_sav and pepebayeta like this.
  16. Tenderboy

Tenderboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there!

Does anyone know if there is a way to see the direction of a track?

When I want to navigate a track I am asked if I want to ride the original or the reverse track.
    But I cannot see anywhere which is which. When I want to see the track I only see the line of the track but don't see what end if the line is the start and what end is the finish.

Anyone any idea?
  17. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Not sure what difference it makes, since the unit will not be giving turn directions. If I remember correctly the only thing the unit does differently when you direct it to navigate a track is it turns the track line into a big purple line that obscures some of the map detail.

So instead of 'navigating the track', when I use a track, I just have the 276cx 'display' the track on the map and I follow the line, whichever direction I want to go.

Sorry if I'm missing something here.

.............shu
  18. Tenderboy

Tenderboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good point!
  19. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The distance to destination and the compass page with the arrow pointing to the opposite direction.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    you can't highlight the track and see directional l arrows?