Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I was using a track leaving La Paz, Bolivia on a cloudy day and somehow got turned around in the heavy traffic and road construction. I rode probably 15 minutes in the wrong direction following the purple line. Arrows sure would have been handy.
  2. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    an arrow would only show you which direction the track was recorded.
    if you were riding it backwards, got really drunk that night in the tent/hammock, and had to get up ass early
    while hungover, now you're following the track the wrong way...:rofl
    Tenderboy likes this.
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    No 'Arrows' needed if you always show your recorded history (Track) on the map. That way when you start up a new Day/Track, you will see your past history (Track) and know which way to go. Zooming out/in on the map before you start out is also a really good idea - Orientation!
    shu likes this.
  4. CharlzOP

CharlzOP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this the absolutely best gps on the market?
  5. Tenderboy

Tenderboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No.
    It would be really good wouldn't it be so goddamn incerdibly mind-numbing slow.

Imho the best right now is the Carpe Iter.

https://carpe-iter.com/
  6. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Impossible to answer.

Some people can't make it work for them, some people think it's great. I think it depends on how much effort you put into learning how it works, and how much you value being able to operate it on the fly, in any country, in all weather, in all light conditions, with gloves on.

For me: if mine fell off a cliff somewhere, I'd go right out and buy another.

.....................shu
    Antikid likes this.
  7. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    A comparison between the old 276C, 276CX, Carpe Iter and the new Garmin Zumo XT would really be nice.....I'm still using my 276C from 2008
  8. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    As a long time 276C user and now the last 3 years or so on the CX I wouldn't want to go back to the 276C. Especially the screen makes me say that. As mentioned it is slow, very slow, annoyingly slow in certain situations, but overall i wouldn't want to go back. It works as very well when I really need it, when on the road, finding my way around. But that is just my opinion for what I need from a GPS and I can easily understand how others come to a different conclusion.

If you are a long time 276C user there will be little to no learning curve. That really helps to make the 276CX work for you.
  9. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just bought a 276CX. So far I like most of it. Only problem I have is sometimes it locks up my me. Seems to happen mostly went I try to use a route. It’s fine with tracks, but routes it will stop working after a few minutes. It happened to me yesterday twice. I had to pull the battery twice to rest it. After that I turned off the route and let it just show as a move if map. Also is this gps known to have problems w/ vibration at all ? I had a zumo XT for a day, hated it. Not at all ready for market. Other gps’s I use and like are my gpsmap78sc and 610T.
  10. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had this unit since 2016 and its mounted on a dash shelf that vibrates like crazy. No issues
  11. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    I didn’t think that was the problem. I did install my CN map on the unit itself. Maybe it was the map being on the card. could it be a setting I have wrong ? Is there a website that shows a good setup for off road ? It is mainly what I use it for. Only slab when getting to and from off road riding.
  12. ConiKost

ConiKost n00b

Oddometer:
    Can't confirm here. After route is loaded, it just works fine. No freezes here. My CN map is on SD card.
  13. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    I’ll try to use it more and find out what might be the problem.
    It really is a shame they didn’t put the buttons on the left and use the 680 processor. Other than that I do really like it.
  14. aviator

aviator R1200GS,F650GS,DR350

Oddometer:
    Doubles check it with a frech installiert of Base Camp, ensure to have same CN Versions on 276cx and Base Camp. Let Base Camp calculate the route before you transfer it via Base Camp to 276cx.
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @Pixturethis , make sure that your 276Cx software is up to date: v4.80. Then I would recommend doing a Master Reset.

Master Reset for GPSMAP 276Cx:
    Press and hold the Page and Enter buttons then momentarily press the Power button to turn the device on.
    Keep holding the Page and Enter Buttons until a message pops up asking if you wish to "Erase all User Data?"​
  16. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    I do have 4.80 installed and just did the reset. I’ll see how it goes.

I normally make the route in the gps as it will use its map. I would think that would be best.
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    If you are creating standard GPX Routes outside of the device, it doesn't matter where you create them because the device is going to calculate the route path based on the installed routable map data. The device uses the GPX waypoints (Route Points) in the route calculation.
  18. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    I do make standard routes from my basecamp. Do you standard setup on your 276CX ?
  19. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Is there away to reset the unit when it does lock up ? Or is pulling the battery the only way ?
  20. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @Pixturethis , It is best to press and hold the Power Button for up to 30sec if you need to reset the device from a 'freeze-up'. Pulling the battery on Garmin devices does not always completely reset the code upon boot-up. Since you are new to the 276Cx, you may want to read my review - which may help you get started. There is no "standard" setup. The settings on the device are quite varied so you can optimize the operation for your needs. You really don't have to do much just to get started and do routing or follow/navigate Tracks.