Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve read your review when I first bought it. Great info. I’ll remember to hold the power button. thanks for your help.
  2. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What setting do you all use for the tracking. I have it on resolution and 30ft. Seems ok, but not as good as the auto setting on my gpsmap 78. I got to use my 276 for a full day , 300 miles after I did the master rest. Seems to have helped. Worked great and only had it stop working for a 2 minute time. Held the power button for 30 seconds and it powered down. I do think it is vibration related, I think it’s around 5500rpms on my bike. I have it mounted on the handle bars with the short ram mount.
  3. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    AMEN DRTBYK. Before people complain about the CX, they need to realize the motorcycle/dual sport/ dirt biking community is a fraction of the marine /aviation community that this was DESIGNED FOR. It just happens that it works well for many of us here too. Just because I have a table saw, doesn't mean that I'm a carpenter, it just means that it works for me too.
  4. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fact that garmin’s website lists the 276Cx as an “outdoor recreation handheld device” tells me there’s something smelly about what it was designed for.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    What that should have told you is that Garmin no longer has a Marketing segment for crossover devices like the GPSMAP 276Cx. But, since it was always branded as a GPSMAP device, it was placed in that group, which is Outdoor Rec today. It still supports Marine and Private Aviation map sets and has the features/functions that fit those activities. The device was a hard sell to management in Garmin mainly because it didn't clearly fit the Marketing segments Garmin was selling in to.
  6. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    That's true, I hadn't looked at it from that angle. I'm just glad that brought it back. Thanks for the input
  7. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you know much better than me about garmin's insides.
    However, if the 276Cx is (as advertised garmin's website) developed from the 276C (the similarities in the name are obvious), which was a plotter and advertised as such.
    The success of the 276C is that it was so good, it could do anything and do it really well.
    The problem with the 276Cx is that it's so unbearably slow, that it can hardly keep up at walking pace. So, I guess, they decided to list it that way.
    This could be considered just an opinion, my opinion. But again, the fact that garmin told me this was a handheld device and that it's screen had more pixels, so it couldn't work as fast as the 276, so I shouldn't expect it to work on my motorcycle as the old one did.
    That tells me the smelly smell all this exudates is just some bullshit to not to admit that they fucked it up.
    EmmEff, CLANTECH and chris_sav like this.
  8. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @pepebayeta ...make no mistake (smell or no smell) Garmin Marketing Management shot this product in the head before it was ever released. They made a Marketing COST decision to use a lower cost low-end processor predetermining the failure of the product. This was, in my opinion, based upon the expectation that there would not be enough sales to justify the cost of one of the currently used high-end processors. It is rather humorous that the only unit that effectively takes two hands to operate would be placed in the "Handheld" market segment.
  9. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    It's a pity garmin was not as honest as you are.
  10. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I think back to 3½ years ago and how excited we all were at the potential of the eagerly awaited arrival of the 276CX, yet here I am still watching this thread for evidence that the slug processor inside it has been upgraded and I'd buy a second one like a shot!

Tried a premium rugged smart phone in the meantime, not bright enough - so the Montana is still weapon of choice but oh for a bigger screen for my aging eyes!
    RvGS and EmmEff like this.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the slower/older cx is still listed at $700 with the slower processor, and the xt is $500 with the faster/newer one ...
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Garmin rarely puts products on fire-sale. The zumo XT is most likely using the same internals as the highend automotive devices.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @chris_sav ...I haven't done any NIT tests on them yet but my iPhone XS, 11Pro & 11Pro Max 'appear' to have just as bright or brighter displays as the GPSMAP 276Cx. Although, even if they are brighter (in NITs) that doesn't indicate that they will have as good/better light reflectance in bright sun. Anecdotally, my old eye (one doesn't work as well) seems to see the display quite well in the sun.
    ohgood likes this.
  14. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Dan, my requirements are still the same as a run leader on vintage 6v bikes, needs a big battery as well as bright. AGM X2 seemed to fit the bill with its 'bright' amoled screen but sunlight defeats it as it only pans out to be around 500 nits. The Carpe Iter looks promising but its a big lump and a small company. XT looks oh so promising but no swappable battery.
  15. vfrgreg

vfrgreg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody know how to get the 276CX to show the name of upcoming roads like my 478 did?
  16. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would it be possible to have the processor replaced with a faster one, if not, why not? I understand it is more difficult than replacing a battery, would it work faster?

Like in a pc, upgrading components for better overall performance.
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @vfrgreg ...You need to be Navigating a route in order to see the Navigation banner....

upload_2020-5-8_10-10-39.jpeg
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @mudbreeder ...it may be possible but I doubt it would be cost effective. First, you would need to do a physical tear-down of the device in order to see if the CPU was a Standard module or an ASIC. Then, assuming it was a Standard CPU and there was a more powerful replacement, you would need to determine if the module could be safely removed from the circuit board. If the module is a surface mount component, versus a plug-in (which it isn't), it could be very difficult to remove without damaging the circuit board or associated components.

Let's assume you could replace the CPU, there is no way to determine if the firmware in the device could actually run the new CPU any faster since you may not be able to adjust the clock speed. And, let's assume that the hardware all worked with the new components, the current software may not be able to handle the faster CPU - you would have lots of crashes and freezes do to timing issues between the software and the hardware.

The short answer to your question is most likely, No: ref. the above for the "...why not?"
    Eltjo likes this.
  19. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the navigation banner
    Like this:
    20200509_125455.jpg 20200509_125530.jpg 20200509_125534.jpg

Attached Files:

shu likes this.
  20. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can have the Navigation Banner on the screen all of the time using that Map setting but you will only see the "upcoming road Name" when you are actually Navigating to a location.