1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I think it's not even the 'upcoming road name'- isn't it just your next point or next turn?

........shu
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless it’s somehow changed, it’s the next road. If you want the next turn to show you set that in the Route Settings.
  3. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I must have set it that way, I guess. I certainly don't remember.:D

.........shu
  4. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    You can have the upcoming Road Name...

38.jpeg

And you can Optionally have the Next Turn Pop-Up..

59.jpeg

33.jpeg
  5. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it was possible, someone that fixes cell phones, that has the equipment to heat and float off a current chip on the board and float into place a new chip could probably do it.

But what processor would you upgrade to? What Garmin model could you rob the processor from if you could find a non functioning/broken donor unit?
    ohgood likes this.
  6. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you can swap the processor.

It just wouldn’t work afterwards ...

Modern electronic devices are much more complex than that. See post from DRTBIK earlier in this thread for an idea of why. And I know what I’m talking about and even have access to a rework station like you described.
  7. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some of you know the problem, that the 276Cx blocks the bluetooth channel all the time, even, if no speech is made. So music on a second bluetooth channel is not possible with intercoms like Sena 20S.

Garmin replied today, after I reported that issue a few months ago, that they identified the problem and a fix will be deployed with the next firmware upgrade.

I really hope, that this will be finally fixed.

Eltjo and CLANTECH like this.
  8. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thanks for pursuing that and letting us know.
    ConiKost likes this.
  9. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Like this, without active navigation, driving on road...

Attached Files:

10. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the things i like about the 276cx is the fact you can just have a map shown and nothing else
    Unlike the Zumo's
  11. vfrgreg

vfrgreg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to make the CX show upcoming roads like the previous generations?
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    There is a reason why that feature is no longer used by most App developers. What I mean is, how is the App suppose to know what the "upcoming" road is? There are many instances where a cross road has one name going Right and another name going Left. What's the device suppose to do that would have value?
  13. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could someone enlight me? How is ordering of imported routes and tracks done?
    Up to 10 routes and tracks, it seems to be ordered by name. If more than 10 routes or tracks are imported, the list seems to be a total chaos. I am talking about the Routes and Tracks Main Menu.
  14. fastdresser

fastdresser n00b

Oddometer:

Update on the lockup issue. A senior advisor for Garmin contacted me and said that a "Fix" is in the works to alleviate this issue. Said it would be coming out sometime this summer. I certainly hope so, the lockup issue has been a royal PITA when using the "Find" command and then "Nearest Current Route".

One other issue I've been experiencing is the inability to display waypoints by name alpahbetically. When I do a "Find" command, then "Waypoints", then a "Find by name", it always lists the waypoints "From Current Location", and not alphabetically by name. The Online Garmin manual says it should be able to display them alphabetically by name, and I did see a 2 year old Youtube video with someone showing that it did. I contacted Garmin about this issue and they too could not get it to display alphabetically, and put a request in to get it fixed. Shortly after they put the request in, it came back saying that that "Unfortunately a change was made to the GPSMAP 276CX to improve the functionality and sorting. This change removed the ability to sort Waypoints Alphabetically. The device will not sort by the alphabet, only by the distance from the waypoint. You can search for the waypoint by name but it will still be listed by the distance you are from that waypoint." Not sure why they had to remove this ability, since if you do a "Find" command then "Cities", and then "by name", it will display thousands of cities alphabetically. The older 276/478 platforms had better features than the 276CX.
    ConiKost likes this.
  15. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Originally I was excited about the Zumo XT, but reading about all the faults and problems it has (because of the new product), I am more than satisfied with my 276cx. It could be a tad faster (although the plain navigation works ok, but the panning and some other functionality are slow), it could have buttons on the left side. But overall it's a solid piece. The screen is bright, the mount is strong and the software is versatile.
  16. Turts

Turts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s a shame I didn’t see this thread before buying my 276cx. Damn it’s slow!!
    Are there any settings I can verify that I have correct? I have a map set running from the SD card and man, it runs so slow.
    And when it tries to catch up, it’s so jerky and the screen will even try to blank out.....
    Not too painful if you know where you are but, that’s not why we all have GPS is it!
    Grrrr
  17. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't use a near zoom. Works for me best starting with 120m zoom. But you can't do much.
    Turts likes this.
  18. Wetzlarer

Wetzlarer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!

I'm using the 276cx for some time now and have a problem with searching a Fuelstation.

When I navigate a route and use the FIND-NEAR CURRENT ROUTE function, I sometimes only get results from gas stations that I passed a long time ago. The stations are near the route, but I was ther 2 or 3 hours earlier.
    The petrol stations a few kilometres further on are not shown.
    It seems that it's because of the length of the active route or the number of turns.

if i start a new route from this point on, the petrol stations a few kilometres away are also shown.

Has anyone noticed that yet?
  19. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can confirm your behavior. On my routes with about 250-350km also no gas stations are found with that function, only those, which where several hours earlier.
  20. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you find “ near zoom” ?