Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, did not know about that one. Nice find. I hoped that it would be a way to shorten search time. But: I can only find the menu option as described sometimes and other times it will not show up, not only with addresses (and cities??). It appears to work only after it is done searching all locations and the result box is populated. Defeates shortening the search time with fewer maps to search. It seems a feature halfassed implemented by Garmin. I do not know if it was better / different under 4.8 since I already updated. It will need some more playing around to find out when it is of use.
  2. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I can confirm that. I am getting, except for addresses, only the ability to choose a map, when the list returns something. Otherwise it does not show up.
  3. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see the proximity alert radius field but cant enter anything into it
  4. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't produce that. See my screenshot, I can set a radius without any problems.

Attached Files:

5. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I noticed a new change. Firmware 5.10 shows GPS accuracy with one rounded decimal place.
    Older Firmware 4.80 only shows a single number. So for example instead of 4m, it shows now 4.3m.
    But it's apparently a little bit wrongly alligned.

Attached Files:

• GPS.png
      GPS.png
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Sattphalat

Sattphalat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it is the soap I have used washing it.
    Strong kitchen spray soap.
  7. fastdresser

fastdresser n00b

Oddometer:

I've been hounding Garmin for almost a year now regarding Unit shutdown when searching near current route. They promised me a fix was coming out this summer. Well it finally came out, but guess what, it still doesn't work. Unit still locks up when doing a search "near current route". I've already notified them. I've had it with the 276cx. They did fix the issue with the waypoint catagories.
    khpossum likes this.
  8. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always wondered about the crash worthiness of the 276cx and found out in June. I had a collision with a kangaroo at approx 50 km/h, the bike came down heavily on the handlebars and broke the mirrors and screen, seriously scraped the brake reservoir cover and hand guards but the 276cx came out with flying colours. It was mounted on a 6” ram arm.
  9. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You should never use soap on such protection, as it destroys the film due its ingredients.

I am still thinking, could be this some issue with a map? For example, I still don't have any crash using the function "near current route".

What do you mean with flying colours?
  10. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More questions!
    Using the route function, is t
    Also, it shuts down searching near another location. For example, I'm in London, and want to find a hotel in York. To do this, I do:

find>cities>york
    Then find>lodging>hotel

Unit then crashes
    khpossum likes this.
  11. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hm, I am unable to reproduce that on my 276Cx. It just works, no crash here. I am wondering, if this is somehow related to the map version.
  12. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Same crashing problem here, OSM and Garmin US maps. Reported ages ago, but apparently not important enough to fix. Hey, it only requires you to stop, take the GPS out of the cradle, remove the battery and start over again. I have not confirmed it also happens with 5.1.
  13. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you give me the exact steps? I would like to try it to reproduce, so I could also report to Garmin.
  14. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, now I can't reproduce the crash either. Here are the steps I took, which I was sure resulted in a crash.
    From the map page

Find button>cities>(highlight containing text)>menu>select map>select City Navigator>back to Containing and type York: make tea; drink tea
    Select the correct York>Select "Map">find button: find from York>select lodging

View list of hotels.

Worked.
  15. carvalhito

carvalhito n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, my unit doesn't crash when performing a search near current route. Could it be another issue to cause that?
  16. CLANTECH

CLANTECH At work...

Oddometer:
    Mine doesn’t crash either.

Seems to work ok.
    carvalhito likes this.
  17. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I noticed a new bug on 5.10, which is not present on 4.80.
    The indicator for north direction is only visible, when as page layout "Full Screen Map" or "Map With Overlay" is used.
    When "1 Column (Large)" or "1 Column (Small) is used, the indicator is covered at the top by the box which shows during routing when you see your next turn by turn.
    In 4.80, the indicator is a little bit lower and before that box and visible.
  18. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Did you report it?
  19. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, just a couple minutes before :-) Please do too! Thanks.
    Max Kool likes this.
  20. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ffs!!! Found a new bug. Just start a route navigation and press Quit button and the device powers off.

In order to trigger that, you need to have Altimeter page enabled, as it's the first one, which would be shown, when button Quit is pressed. You can also trigger that by pressing multiple times Page button.
    If no route is enabled for navigation, the device does not power off and the Altimeter page is shown.

So basically, with firmware 5.10, the Altimeter page is unusable during active routing.
    This is ridiculous, the firmware is full of bugs.

@All: please report all that bugs also to garmin, as the german support is pretty bad and doesn't seem always to take the bugs for serious..