Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    That is company policy.
    ConiKost and EmmEff like this.
  2. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The main cause for this shutdown is a specific setting.
    2x Menu -> Setup -> Altimeter -> Plot Type.
    The setting "Elevation / Distance" is the one, which makes the device shutdown upon opening the Altimeter page.
    If I choose a different setting, the Altimeter page does not crash.
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  3. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I get that screen too, but if I check distance not speed, it defaults back to speed, at 0mph.

On the device, when I check a few of the individual camera POI's they have some very random alarm ranges set such as:

Alarm range 1.1miles
    Alarm above 110mph

or Alarm Range 0.7mile
    Alarm above 70pmh
  4. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe a problem with the POI? Did you try other POIs? At least that seems to be a problem with the POI Loader itself.
  5. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wondered that. The are from https://www.pocketgpsworld.com, and I use them open my 2 Zumo 590's, Zumo 595, and 2 Montana's with no problem, so I'm wondering if the 276 does some kind of conversion or interpretation of the points.
  6. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone uses the Garmin tempe sensor or other ANT devices with the 276Cx?

Since I have a done full reset on my firmware 5.10, I need to pair again the tempe sensor.
    But I am unable to do so, as the 276Cx doesn't start the pairing process.

In order to start the pairing process, I go to the main menu "Setup" and choose tab "ANT Sensor".
    Since I did a reset, "Tempe Sensor" is set to "Off" by default.

If I choose now "On" or "Search For New", it does nothing. It falls directly back to "Off".
    The normal behavior would be instead of falling to "Off" to show "Searching" and after a few seconds the pairing should be complete.

I can observe the same behavior on all other ANT device options (Bike Speed, Bike Candence, Heart Rate), all stay "Off", when choosing "On" or "Search For New".

Is this a firmware bug in version 5.10 or is my 276Cx defective?
    Can anyone reproduce that on firmware 5.10?
  7. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been able to pair mine. However found I needed to move it away from the device about 4' and once paired can remount back on my bars. Also have found that a fresh battery in the sensor makes the pairing work better.
  8. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have firmware 5.10? Can you reproduce that for other ANT devices? You don't need to have them, only try to choose "On" or "Search for New". Does it start searching? Or stays on "Off"?
    My problem is, that the pairing isn't starting, as the 276Cx does NOT start searching.
  9. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to do a test with a second 276Cx and firmware 5.10. It seems that Garmin broke ANT with the newest firmware, as it suffers from the same problem.
    Going back to firmware 4.80 makes ANT pairing working again. So not a hardware issue.
  10. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I have the 5.10 and a tempe. No problems pairing it or using it.

I have had similar trouble in the past, though, which was frustrating. But as always, first thing to do is pull the batteries (out of both units) and restart it. This almost always solves the problem. (Unless the tempe battery is dead, of course.)

....................shu
  11. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was it paired before upgrading to firmware 5.10? Because I suspect, that in this case, it will work with firmware 5.10.
  12. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Yes, true, it had already been paired.

...............shu
  13. empedrado

Oddometer:
    Just went out to the garage and yes 5.1 and the temperature is displayed. Forgot to check for other devices as I do not have them. You still want me to?
  14. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you test the pairing for other devices? You don't need to have them, only try to start the pairing, as it must show "Searching", when pairing is started.

Same question for you. Did you paired before upgrading to firmware 5.10? If so, please also test the other ANT devices. You don't need to have them, only try to start the pairing, as it must show "Searching", when pairing is started. I suspect, you will have the same behavior as me.

--------------

Based on your answers, it seems, that pairing with new devices is broken on firmware 5.10, while already paired devices on older firmware will still work after updating to 5.10.
    ohgood likes this.
  15. empedrado

Oddometer:
    Turned on my other 276 which has not been paired or used in quite some time. I thought I had your same problem as when I asked it to search for new tempe sensor it immediately displayed off -- but it suddenly changed to on and sure enough the temperature sensor was paired. Turning the device off and back on, it said searching for 10 to 15 seconds and then said on and in fact the temperature displayed.

All the other sensors always go immediately to off, but since that is what the Tempe sensor did until it paired not sure that tells you anything.
  16. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uh. Thank you! You just solved the mistery. I can reproduce it. After some try and error, it could pair the same way as you noted. It seems, that firmware 5.10 changes, the searching isn't displayed immediately after choosing "Search for New". My bad, sorry for false alarm.
  17. empedrado

Oddometer:
    No problem, we all learned from this how it works with the new firmware
    ohgood likes this.
  18. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve just tried pairing a Tempe. None of the ANT device setting can be switched to either On or Search for New.
    I did not have the Tempe paired prior to upgrading to 5.1

So it’s broken, I think
    ConiKost likes this.
  19. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did anyone tested further with Bluetooth? Since FW 5.1, I can observe, that the audio over Bluetooth just stops after ~100-150km. The 276Cx shows in that moment, that it is still connected. Disconncet and Reconnect of my Bluetooth headset does not help. Audio resumes after a whole reboot of the 276Cx. I never has this issue with the old firmware 4.80.
  20. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've now logged this as a problem with Garmin
    ConiKost likes this.