Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @empedrado & @Garry H ...Based upon your feedback here, I have edited my GPSMAP 276Cx article to include the following comment in the Summary:

Thank you for your input.
  2. Claire Z.

Claire Z. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Duh, who knew, look up !

upload_2016-12-16_14-8-22.png

User interface design is more of an art than a science. I assumed when the interface took me to a drop down list, that the first item would be displayed. I will have to be more vigilant/suspicious with respect to Garmin's user interface.

Dan, thanks for being patient and so helpful. Honest, I am trainable.
  3. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Happy to help. You'll notice that the Menu-popups will start showing the current selection. If the Menu has multiple choices, there may be options above and/or below the highlighted selection. Key is to look at the tiny scroll bar to the Right - and I'm laughing since I can barely see it with my reading glasses on. :gerg
  4. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    So is there no way to stop the track log from auto starting? Im no genius, but I know if I want to record a track or not.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Currently, no. You could ask Garmin to add an Off option to the Tracks Setup page if that is a real show-stopper for you.
  7. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I used your tip to turn off seeing it on the map anyway. It just seems silly to track your every move, Ive been to the beer store many times and can likely find my way back :D
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  8. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Happy to see your short term memory is still functioning well. But...when it goes, you can be comforted in knowing that your 276Cx has a record of the Beer Stores location.:drink
    toddiscdn likes this.
  9. goletto

goletto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @toddiscn
    Why would you switch on your GPS , if you know the way ?
    goletto
  10. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Comes on with ignition......... :D
  11. nextrubicon

nextrubicon By 4x4 as far as possible.By Kawasaki, bit further

Oddometer:
  12. RvGS

RvGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Firmware V2.7 result in the field;
    - Connectivity to WifI or Bluetooth; works fine but you really need some patience as it take some time to connect! Less important; no messages from iPhone were shown and sound during a phone call needs improvement.
    - Restart device; Wifi and Cardo G4 reconnection is inconsistent. If no auto reconnection you have to go to settings to activate. The Cardo G4 reconnects promptly but Wifi take's a long time, disable and enable your hotspot settings on your phone will help, as said less important to me.

- Device shutting it self down (during active route): settings: Active route - Activated next turn Pop-up - Automatic only (tried other settings as well -> same story).
    This has improved a bit, but this issue frequently occurs still. Already reported issue in Fw v2.6.

- Next turn Pop-up screen, During active Routing your route and actual street driving on are not shown correctly. Already reported issue in Fw v2.6

[​IMG]

Map configuration:
    As from this new firmware v2.7 I can not disable the Recreation map anymore, this stays on at all times. After I disabled the Recreation map it starts building the CN NT map first and instantly the Recreational map (green) is shown/overlayed with. check video;
    [Edit 03-jan-2017: Solved by adjusting 'Shaded Relief, set from ' Show if Avail' to 'Auto' or 'Do not Show' credits to Dan (DRTBYK) ]

If I change the Map via Map Menu - General - Orientation -> Automotive,
    The CN NT Map is shown as normal.
    [​IMG]

Map rendering performance: There is sill need for improved, as soon as you have turned that corner the cursor is still at the intersection checking for traffic :(.

Further some minor issue's to figure out by myself such as WP's added categories transferring from BC to device shown a corrupt file message in the JaVaWa report.

Attached Files:

13. Claire Z.

Claire Z. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Furkot Question:

Have a bunch of GEO-Referenced PDF custom maps that I would like to get on the 276Cx.

Can I import a GEO-Referenced PDF map into Furkot either directly or through a third party conversion?

And, conversely, if I can import the map, and then make edits, can I export, what I expect to be a custom map overlay, out again and in what format(s)?

Thanks ...
  14. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Furkot does not do Garmin CustomMaps editing/manipulation and neither does BaseCamp. You must do your editing in Google Earth before exporting as a geo-ref'd overlay in KMZ.

As for getting your CustomMaps on the 276Cx, just connect your device to your computer, open your file viewer (File Explorer or Finder) and copy your KMZ's to the 276Cx's /Garmin/CustomMaps/ folder.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 08.58.42.png
  15. Claire Z.

Claire Z. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I meant by editing/manipulating was the addition of track data, should have been more clear. Currently use Avenza Maps for adding the tracks. And of course, BC for creating the original tracks.

My initial interest in Furkot was as a browser based tool ( more ubiquitous ) that could replace BC, which of course requires a windows/MacOS based platform. Goal was to leave the laptop at home and only carry the 276Cx, tablet (Avenza Maps) and phone. The Furkot base map ( being Google ) just does not have enough secondary/primitive road detail. Normally to overcome this I utilize GEO-Referenced custom overlays in CN and OSM. But could not find a way to incorporate these overlays in Furkot.

Search continues ....
  16. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I personally only carry my iPad Pro, iPhone and GPS & inReach when traveling. I use the Furkot FIND Unpaved Roads and Off-road Trails to find MVUM legal roads/trails, most of which are not mapped by Google. You can easily add the route path to your TRIP PLAN and export it as a GPX Track. If the tree cover isn't an issue you can use the Google Sat Imagery to verify the road/trail. There is a Furkot thread if you would like more info on it.

IMG_0182.GIF
    Magus likes this.
  17. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one of these units ordered. I'll be purchasing CNNA maps. I'm wondering if there would be a noticeable speed advantage if I downloaded the maps to the units internal storage vs purchasing the maps on a SD card. Thoughts?
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    There is no difference on my device. I only put my maps on my SD Card. Having said that, you should evaluate the Pros/Cons of Garmin SD Card Maps.
  19. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Educate me please. What are the pros/cons? In the past I only kept my music on the SD card and the maps/routes etc on the internal memory. I won't have any music on the 276Cx, so I'm indifferent to where the maps reside.
  20. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Pros:
    • Move between Garmin devices
    Cons:
    • Limited space on the Garmin SD Card
    • Can't move maps to a larger SD Card

Personally, I put all of my data on my SD Card. If there is a problem on the device and I need to do a Master Reset, there is no worry about losing any of my data - I just remove the Card before I Reset.