Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. nextrubicon

nextrubicon By 4x4 as far as possible.By Kawasaki, bit further

Oddometer:
    Clearance sale ? Wiil be new batch improoved ?
    Regular price is steady...

BDA.. I hope, all We critics, We are glad that You are happy with Your unit :)
    chris_sav likes this.
  2. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess yours is working perfect for the way you use it. And you had no problems because of that way to use it. I'm really glad you're happy with it.
    My eyes are not working as good as they did just a few years ago and the big screen really helps with that. So I guess that's one of the main points for you to be happy with it.
    But let's be honest, if you're happy with the performance of this unit, any 100$ device would have worked for you.
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I don't think so ------------I live in North America and require flawless navigation from the southern Tip of the Baja Peninsula to the Arctic ocean in Alaska--------------and it does that flawlessly--------if yours don't work or you don't know how to use it, that's your problem-------------don't tell me what I need ----or what works for me.
    So quit flappin' that thing between your nose and chin.
    I've been ridin' for 50 years and using gps's since they were invented.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

are the issues outlined in this thread not present on your unit ?

is your unit a USA market device, or sourced from Europe ?

the issues mentioned here seem to vary from unit to unit, it would be helpful to let people know which one you have, and if yours is effected similarly. thanks
  5. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the processor is way too slow and it need a hardware update
    But if you are easily pleased or use the unit in the middle of nowhere ( where there is not a lot about )...Then you might be happy
    But put a high resolution map on it or try it in a city with lots of streets and it just can't cope

The next turn popup is unusable with city navigator..it just too much for it to handle
    I had a play with a mates GPS496 the other day and that was a revelation how well it worked compared to the 276cx map draw wise
    I had forgot how good these old units were !!
    The idea of this type on unit is great ...So please Garmin relaunch it with a decent hardware
    Then you will have a winner...Until then I for one will not buy another one
    JustRok and ER70S-2 like this.
  6. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice pics and great rides for sure. But if that's the use you give to your unit, it actually confirms what I said and posted earlier:

I've used mine to follow tracks and it's just fine. Navigating at speed in traffic surrounded by trucks and cars where getting 20 meters (20.87 yards, as you live in north america ;) ) late into the proper lane means missing a turn, is a different deal the 276Cx just can't do. And that's why I said any 100$ device WOULD work for you (as it looks like you navigate tracks).
    I have never been to the USA, so I don't really know how the traffic is in the towns you go through from the southern Tip of the Baja Peninsula to the Arctic ocean in Alaska. Or maybe you do 100% offroad so you don't need to deal with traffic. But seriously, the fact that your unit navigates flawlessly in towns is hard to believe.
    Anyway, I think I didn't tell you what you need, nor what works for you. But just wanted to point that in terms of performance, not any other feature, 100$ devices are as powerful or even more.

OTOH, I have not used GPS devices for as long as you and I still have some time ahead to catch up with you in time riding.
    This is not the first time I use these devices, so I thought that the poor perfonmance me and most of people who own this device are experiencing was due to the device itself.
    If the problems I am experiencing are due to a wrong configuration because I don't know how to use it, please feel free to enlighten me. I'm not very easy to hurt and I'm really glad to know when I'm wrong as it gives me the chance to learn.

In addition, english is not my mother language, so sometimes it's a bit difficult for me to get the difference between jokes and rude answers. I'll pretend that "flappin' " sentence was a joke while waiting for you to show me all those years riding and using GPS devices made you a wise grown up man or just a easy-to-hurt old fart.

Oh!, I have pictures of great rides too. Maybe one day we can take a look at them somewhere in the Baja peninsula.
    JustRok, PoleRbear and rider911 like this.
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I don't use the popup screen (zoomed in too 300 or 500ft anyway), and don't have any problems navigating in town...
  8. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been chasing women for the last fifty years, don't mean to say I understand them either!
    twigg likes this.
  9. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    In traffic mode they aren't any better than the 276cx ☺️

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
  10. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez folks, the 276cx is an On-The-Trail kind of device and it seems that if one uses it as such it works satisfactorily. And, it has many improvements over the no longer manufactured 276c. As an On-The-Road device device it is marginally useful if one doesn't ride in European cities.
    If you desire a Garmin device that does both perhaps one of their high end Motorcycle devices would serve you better.
    For those of you who can remember there was an aviation version of the 276 style device which among other improvements had a 5HZ receiver and I assume a faster processor along with greater shock resistance. It was only $2,000 and they advertised it as able to go from your airplane to your car to your boat and satisfy your navigational needs. If Garmin brought that back I suspect the price would be the same.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
  11. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    What Garmin needs to do is mend fences with XM radio, marry the features of the old GPSmap 478 into a modern processor larger screen unit. sigh.
    eddyturn likes this.
  12. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    XM radio? I don't need XM radio on my GPS. Heck, if you ask me they can leave Wifi and Bluetooth out of the 276Cx as well...
    RonKZ650 likes this.
  13. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    It's the high res XM WX weather overlay I miss.
    Max Kool likes this.
  14. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also don't use auto zoom, i keep it at a low zoom level and sometimes zoom in or out manually when i need it.
    This seems to give me acceptable performance.
    I really like the screen and it is the only reason i still have this unit, and hope that some problems will be solved.

If you think map redraw is slow, do not load and use multiple birdseye images and display these over a topo or city navigator map, even with low detail... then i agree and it becomes useless, especially with autozoom active

Still have and use my 278 sometimes

Older versions of mapsource looked the same on pc as on 276/278 later versions of mapsource look more like nuvi,... on pc but loaded in 276/278 these maps are displayed in the old way, maybe this has influence on performance and redraw speed for this hardware system, if the redraw speed goes up a lot, i would be happy with the old look/display of maps. Or make this a setting where we can choose the look of the active map.
    My 278 has the fastest redraw speed of any garmin i have used when using the same maps and settings.
    The difference in look:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  15. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just asking,

we had a discussion on a Dutch gps related forum about the bad visibilty of the on screen datafields of the 276CX.

This is the pre production model:
    [​IMG]

And this is the one we all have:
    [​IMG]

See how the on-screen projected datafields are less visible?

Daymode:
    Preproduction: black font with a white outline
    production: white font with a black outline (ignore the language difference)

Nightmode is the other way around

The former is way better readeable, especially while on a motorcycle, where getting your information at glance is very important.

If you, just like me, feel Garmin should improve the contrast for better reading, could I ask you to open a request for improvement at the below link?

http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

Thanks!
  16. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the main advantages of a high resolution screen is so you can see detail when zoomed out
    Instead of looking at a postage stamp size bit of map
    So if you need to zoom right in to get decent map performance it's just crazy

Unfortunately there are a few people on here that just don't get it !!
    But there are also some that understand what's going on exactly :thumbup
    JustRok likes this.
  17. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    You replying to me?
  18. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    kk
  20. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the same zoom, same location, different settings, topo vs cn and i don't really like too much detail

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg