Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep getting the notice about new unit software every time I head out for a ride. Anybody notice any improvements with the latest update?
  2. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thing has been under my radar, but I got to play with one at the Overland Expo this weekend. Even though I have a perfectly good 478, I'm really thinking about switching. I wish I had gotten to the Garmin booth earlier, since he had a show special and sold every one of them. He said that a LOT of people had been complaining about a lack of something like the 276/478, so I guess Garmin finally listened for once.
  3. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read through about the last 1/4 of this thread before you buy to be sure it is for you. Many have been disappointed and some outraged by performance.

Bruce
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  4. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was ready to jump all over the new 276 until reading this thread. Garmin is flying on the reputation of the original 276C and they DROPPED THE BALL --- big time, they blew a perfect opportunity to regain the motorcycling market; the very one they lost when they dropped the 2xx, 3xx, 4xx series. :cry
  5. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I have not researched it, I suspect this form factor may be shared with Marine and Aviation like the earlier ones were, so I'm still holding out hope that Garmin will correct the issues at some point.

Bruce
  6. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So am I but I can't wait forever. :gerg
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

Shit. I just read through the last 10 pages or so. I could care less about the city navigation part of it, and never used the pop-up stuff on my older units...mostly for the screen real estate, but if the processor is having trouble keeping up, it's probably not going to like getting stuffed with a bunch of 24k topo.

I wonder what caused them to start with a fresh slate, add in all the features everyone has been screaming for, and then cripple it like that? I just don't think they put a sub-standard processor in it. It's certainly got the balls of a Nuvi unit, which has zero issues with city navigation. I'm guessing it's more of a software thing. They might get it fixed with a firmware update, but I guess I'll sit tight for now.

Damn.
  8. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn just about covers it for a bunch of us. :getiton
  9. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turned it on just to check this update. If it made some change it is not in performance.

I keep sending and receiving emails from garmin. It's getting clear they couldn't care less.
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This dumbfounds me. :(
  11. nextrubicon

nextrubicon By 4x4 as far as possible.By Kawasaki, bit further

Oddometer:
    Garmin, Gpscity.com and others...cheat customers constanty in this case.
    Manipulated, indirect answer, it is one of the marketing tool.
    look at this : http://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=65209
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  12. caycek5

caycek5 Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer:
    I was running my 276Cx along side my 478 this weekend and I noticed something that I can see leading up to the delayed prompts and positioning. The 478 would register the speed quicker than the 276Cx did. The 478 would register at say 35mph quickly and the 276Cx would reach it a second or two later (my words aren't working out to well and I hope this makes sense). In my head that second or two lag would contribute to the turn prompts and the like being passed by while traveling as the 276Cx is calculating your speed behind from the get go. This is just something I came up with this afternoon.
  13. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Well my ole 276C, finally died, as in its DEAD. I had high hopes this new fangled version would be its replacement but reading this thread and especially after Dan pulled his recommendation I have resigned myself to fighting with the damned montana and its touch screen which I absolutely HATE.

If anyone at garmin is watching this thread, I have a very simple question for you, is it to much to ask to bring to market a GPS like the OLD 276C, SIMPLE, PUSH BUTTONS, NO WIFI, NO OTHER fancy gimmicks just a GPS that WORKS at a reasonable price. Barring that how about supporting the ole 276C or look around in the basement and see if you still have one gathering dust that you'll sell me to replace the BEST GPS you ever sold, the 276C.

Dave
  14. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I am looking for also.
  15. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 478 that I am no longer using... PM if interested.
  16. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    With my iPhone, absolutely! I switched over from the 376c 5 years ago and haven't regretted it yet.
    Emgo likes this.
  18. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have completely given up on the 276cx
    Like others have said I don't want a load of bells and whistles or a photographic screen that slows it down to a crawl
    I am sticking with the monterra and the montana for now
    The montana is pretty well sorted and the touch screen is not so bad once you get used to it
    In fact it is a load quicker than buttons and a rocker for entering text for searching

I have left comments on reviews for the 276cx pointing out it's problems and they just get removed !!!!!!
    This is one of the best threads about the 276cx. It points out what it is like warts and all and that's a good thing

Best thing we can do is not to buy the 276cx at all.
    ..Then maybe Garmin will drop it and release a unit that is a worthy successor to the old 276c
    After all that is what we all want. Not something with performance from a bygone era :nah
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Maybe the son of Garmin's CEO programmed the CX and nobody in the company can say the emperor has no clothes?
    caycek5 and ER70S-2 like this.
  20. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    OK folks I figure this has been asked already, but I can not get my 276Cx to Bluetooth to my headsets. I figured out it is the Garmin and not any other problems(like I live in a Bluetooth dead zone or something) One is the SRC and the other a Sena 10u any ideas? Waiting for Garmin to get back to me also.