Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rarely, after repeated attempts, it will Discover a new Audio Device and Pair. Most of the time it will not even Discover a new device. I thought Garmin had fixed it at v3.30 but alas v3.40 shows the same Bluetooth Audio Device issues - I was able to pair my SRC-S Pro (Cardo) but not my SENA 20S (after over 100 attempts).
  2. MelvinKowznowsky

MelvinKowznowsky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I called up Garmin (and wasted an hour and 19 minutes) the other day and got transferred to "the high muckety muck" (the words of the first Garmin tech) complaining that I couldn't update my 276C to CN 2018.2, he told me that I should buy the 276CX to replace it. He said he has never used it but "it loooks very good".
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I see that here in Canada they've dropped the price, and made it available with lifetime maps. $1k Canadian, so that's about $740 usd.

To me, dropping the price so soon on a new model, plus throwing in the lifetime maps, leads me to believe that marketing knows they've got a huge turd to get rid of.
  4. fastdresser

fastdresser n00b

Oddometer:
    Got my first 276 back in 2004, had a couple, then graduated to the 478 (like it much better). My use is primarily for the motorcycle, then the car. I currently have one 478 that still works flawlessly, and have a brand new unit sitting there just in case. It serves my purpose just fine except the fact I can't update the maps any longer. I've had other units also, several touch screen type car units. Also had a Zumo 660 and absolutely hated it, so I just got rid of it. Bought a used Beemer K1600 with their Nav IV, which is a Zumo 660, now I have another real piece of crap 660, I feel it is almost totally useless. Would certainly like to upgrade the 478 to newer technology, but hate giving up all the features that I absolutely love. Definitely don't want touch screen. Have been keeping my fingers crossed for the new 276CX, but starting to give up hope that Garmin will make it right from the sounds of all these posts.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  5. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 276cx for sure isn't loaded with features and certainly couldn't be called the newest technology. It is easy to view and for back road and off road it is a pleasure to use, at least for me.
    I had started to do a side by side comparison to the Montana but the power button failed before I had finished. For me, the 276cx boots up and acquires satellites faster than the Montana. using the same route the curser on the 276cx appeared to lag behind the actual turn but the Montana's constantly had already passed the turn, both units showed the distance to next turn accurately and consistence with each other.
    I really don't hear very well so pairing to a sound device isn't a feature that I will use. Before I finished comparing the two units the power broke and dropped into the Montana.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I don't use routing, how is it with tracks?
  7. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used tracks while at the Polar Bear and had no problems and follow tracks back when in unfamiliar areas and have gone far enough.
  8. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Lazy

Oddometer:
    Doing the Alcan 5000 next summer and my 2730 just crapped out . On the fence on which GPS to replace it with , would like to one have that will work for the Alcan and also for my normal bike trips where I usually just set a destination and go . Also will be doing RV,ing in couple years .
  9. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone notice the minimize ascent option?
    why not a maximize ascent option :hide

20170604_105140.jpg 20170604_105206.jpg 20170604_105245.jpg 20170604_105310.jpg
  10. mudbreeder

Oddometer:
    also when powered in a car, the 278 can show the incoming voltage (12.8V or something like that) the CX can only show voltage of the internal battery when not in a mount
  11. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. mudbreeder

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you turn off the next turn popup screen, performance is better, acceptable, just imagine you are more the tip of the arrow in stead of the center, and distance to next turn is also ok without popup screen

it feels like someone at garmin once upon a time long ago played with the first 276, then created this CX from memories and never left his desk, everybody knows somebody who gets away with anything, while they should be fired.

Not all is bad AFAIK
    Pro
    -Best display available
    -Decent battery
    -micro sd memory
    -Tracks
    -Hiding contour lines (compared to montana)
    -Buttons
    -GPS signal reception

Con
    -Only half the functionality compared to a 13 year old 276
    -Bluetooth and WiFi, often doesn't seem to work, i don't need it, it should work or be removed and drop the price on a version without Bluetooth and WiFi.
  13. mudbreeder

Oddometer:
    i like the garmin topo maps, but also like to hide the contour lines
    too many contour lines for looking at the screen for a split second while driving:
    1922.jpg 1818.jpg 1837.jpg
  14. mudbreeder

Oddometer:
    the welcome screen in the CX is a text file you have to write while connected to a computer, i prefer the old way
    20170604_105359.jpg
  15. mudbreeder

Oddometer:
  16. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I know not everything is bad. Actually, as it has been posted before, the screen is awesome.

The only thing I really don't understand is why on earth somebody at garmin decided chucking the shittiest processor they had in the shelf in this device.
    ER70S-2 and F650Dakar_Norway like this.
  17. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    I dont get why quite a few people hate touch screens, I cant think of anything that annoys me about them.
    The whole world now revolves around your smart phone which obviously has a touch screen.
    EmmEff likes this.
  18. mudbreeder

Oddometer:
    I'm 32 and i hate smartphones, i prefer dedicated hardware, a phone for calls, a camera for photos, a gps for navigation (with paper maps backup), i take with me what i intend to use
    I hate charging batteries every day
    Put any touchscreen device next to a 276cx in direct Sun light, this screen is brillant, don't believe me, test it yourself at a shop on a sunny day.
    And no need to touch a screen with dirty fingers
    tmp_31844-Screen-Shot-10-21-16-at-02.45-PM793167380.jpg
  19. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    My Montana 680 was a mess when I first purchased it. After some firmware updates it has come around.

Until the last update the screen would go psychedelic when I would Spell Search a waypoint. Another one was it would refuse to clear the Recent Finds list.

It's a shame that after the hard earned money spent, that you don't get what you paid for.

Like others here, waiting to see how this all plays out before taking the plunge.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  20. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Are we sure that it is the processor?