Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not, when 13 year old technology can be updated to use the most recent maps and show the next turn popup smooth and flawless for example look at the video posted before.
    Even the most basic gps performance better in heavy city traffic.

They should take the software from a 276 or 278, copy it, alter it to manage more and larger tracks, more memory, ... and use the CX screen, offer a more affordable base device without WiFi and Bluetooth, and a more expensive version with WiFi and Bluetooth.
    They could even add a selectable nuvi screen lay-out or other features, as long as they would have improved a great device, and not ruin a legend.
    ohgood and ER70S-2 like this.
  2. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i even prefer the icons on the old one
    20170604_105955.jpg
  3. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    if Garmin used a quality mineral glass screen like the smart phones, it wouldn't be quite as bad, but we're stuck with a cheap plastic screen with bad response even when it works as planned.
    I've had 3 Montana's and the screen has gotten progressively worse on each one until it won't calibrate anymore, or had bad response from the start.
    Touch screens make no sense in dusty usage....trying to wipe the screen off usually results in several unintended results...
  4. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been in touch with garmin for the last months regarding the poor performance of this device.
    At first they told me to hard reset the device, erase some files and stuff like that. I have to say it looks like the weird behaviours and freezes disappeared. But no improvement in performance at all.
    Later, they said I had to send my unit to garmin to have it checked, as the performance didn't meet their standards. (that's what they said). In some funny way, there was one line about how surprised they were by such slow performance. And..... about five paragraphs about the warranty being void if any non garmin map had been used, how much they would charge if they find I used any non garmin map. How much they would charge if some file would have been modified in order to hide the use of any non garmin map. The cost of shipping if the warranty is (or would be) void and crap like that.
    I told them I had been using OSM maps, but I had used those maps with every garmin device I've owned and never had any issue. So if they meant that those maps destroyed the 276Cx, I thought they just wanted an excuse to deny my claim. But that I'd be glad to pay anyway for one, two, three or four, or even five hours labour and shipment if the thing would work, not better, but at least like the 278.
    Their reply: I was making a mistake because the 276Cx has more pixels and features so it can't run that many tasks and perform as fast as it does the 278.
    I asked if that meant they both shared the same processor and how on earth could a 2016 device, even with more features, work slower than a 12 years old device, which actually came to substitute.

It seems, my last email was caught by a black hole as nobody replied again. But for me, they made something clear. The thing is a piece of crap and the only thing they care about is how to get rid of them and the claims they could get. Their software sneaks into your activity and tells garmin everything you do with your device, even if you don't give consent to colect your data (They knew I was using OSM).

Do I know for sure it's the processor? No, I don't.
    Do I think it is? Yes, I do.

However, I'd be really happy to install a software update and get the damn thing working properly.

Sorry for the rant. It doesn't feel very well to have an 800€ device sitting in the shelf while using the old one because it's the one which actually works.
    raddad, ER70S-2 and bigboyxl like this.
  5. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Hardly a good comparison photo but I dont doubt they can make a better screen without "touch" capabilities. My 590 that has a pretty impressive screen in direct sunlight and the touch capabilities are just as impressive. Alas the unit overall is let down by poor Garmin software but the screen is more than great.

How is the fact you hate smartphones and prefer a dedicated phone, camera and gps got anything to do with the pluses or minuses of touch screens :scratch and charging batteries :confused

Ive owned 3 Zumos, 550, 660 & 590 and also an Oregon. IMO the touch screen capabilities of all have been perfect for their intended use. I dont know what you could complain about??

I imagine if Garmin used a "quality mineral glass screen like the smart phones" you wouldnt be able to use gloves.

To clean the dust from the screen whilst riding, I hit the power button (a procedure that takes 1s), wipe the screen then hit the power button again (another 1s) hardly a negative compared to trying to type in an address or panning the map screen on the 276.

So far the arguments are pathetic. :1drink
    EmmEff likes this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    OK, note that's some kind of a stack of wtf right there. using different map files is voiding the warrantee and causing damage?

is it running Windows 98 without security patches or something? map files can damage it ? wtf ?

I would expect a warrantee to be denied if the device were ROOTED , about five years ago, but today, no.

that's a very odd dismissal.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

I've found the dirtier the gloves are the better they work:

that was a $49 moto g, and thick leather gloves
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touch is very difficult to use in motion.... Buttons are many orders of magnitudes more usable when moving....

I'm an old guy brought up on buttons with tactical feedback and without it do very poorly. I have a *lot* of problems entering messages in a touch phone whereas on my old school slider it is easy.

But having said that you don't need to be an old guy to appreciate that touch is much more difficult to use in a environment with shock, vibe, lots of acceleration (especially lateral) than buttons. It's why most marine and aviation units all are button driven - even those that have some touch capability still usually have buttons.

Also having dedicated-purpose buttons allows frequently used functions to be much more easily accessed - e.g. zooming in and out; on the montana (it's mostly used on my bicycle these days) zooming in and out is *very difficult* while pedaling, especially off-road whereas hitting the zoom buttons on the 76 is duck soup.

If you don't get it, don't waste your breath with evangelizing. Clearly this thread is haunted by more folks than not that want buttons - most likely for all the reasons I posted...
    ohgood, empedrado and pepebayeta like this.
  9. pepebayeta

Oddometer:

+1
  10. Homercules

Homercules Doh!

Oddometer:
    +2

My touch screen favorites:
    1) When it rains and you get false input so...
    2) You set your device to "Glove Mode" but it doesn't work without the proper "touchscreen approved" gloves.
    3) You have to buy expensive glove treatment to treat your gloves.
    4) Said glove treatment wears off in the middle of a big trip and you have to use other fingers or your thumb to make the screen work.

No thanks, give my buttons back.
  11. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    This answer is exactly why I asked the question

I rest my case
  12. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    After getting that reply from garmin, I checked the warranty conditions on their website. As I thought there wasn't any mention to the use of third party maps I read it slowly again. Yep, there's no mention of third party maps.
    But it says something like they don't take any responsability for the use of non garmin propietary software. So, maps are software, so I've used non garmin propietary software, therefore warranty is void.
    I took it as a politically correct "fuck you".
  13. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    In reality there are specific situations that both buttons and touch screen prevail over the other so it's petty to debate.

For the duckets they want for these units it should have both.
    EmmEff and ohgood like this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    1 im usually riding, not trying to interact with the GPS, especially in the rain. I'll stop to do stuff, because death and dismemberment are real things. using a screen lock in the application means I can still see the maps/routes, and the rain doesn't effect it at all.
    2 see video above. just regular old with gloves, both a used pair and a new ish pm pair.
    3 nope
    4 nope. I have spit in them before, as needed, when it was really dry out. premix works really well too, but again, I usually just stop and look around instead of trying to iron butt my way across the nation, fighting with the screen the whole way.

I'm not opposed to buttons, I love the volume, screen in /off, camera, start video (long press) , next track (long press volume) , speakerphone (one button), home/back/all applications buttons... but when I'm searching for stuff, is kind of 1980 to try and move the curser with a toggle joystick. or spell out a name for a waypoint like "Zachary Bedfellow Township Camping 800-564-8987" , or try to add a sentence with a url to keep a reference for a crossing points river levels to the waypoint info.... would take all day.

if there were an option to have both buttons and screen input, that would rock. I mean I guess it would, I've never seen a device with that kind of usability. maybe it's just a waste of real estate, no idea.
  15. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree searching for things with a buttons takes forever...A touch screen is much better

As for the rain i have never had a problem with the montana
    Plus it is a lot faster to pan around with a touch screen and that's the main thing i do when driving
    Most other things i will do when stopped....Far safer

As for visibility in sunlight the picture posted is nothing like the real world !!

I used to be a big fan of buttons but after going back and forth the last few years i like a touch screen more in a lot of respects
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years of touch [following years of buttons] only increase my lust of buttons.... like so many others....... Done....
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  17. Homercules

Homercules Doh!

Oddometer:
    I should have mentioned that I use a Garmin Monterra with the mineral glass. It also has a plastic screen protector which makes the touch capabilities a little slow with gloves.

I'll admit I like the touchscreen when stopped but if I just want to zoom in or flip data screens a button is undeniably easier.
  18. jamiebob

jamiebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok im a fan of the touch screen on phone, computers But i hate the touch screen in my ford truck to run all controls for heated seats and gps. Looking to get a Gps for my Husky 701 and polaris Rzr (going to move it between the two unit) I have been using my phone as a gps for now it work ok most of the area im in there is no service and my phone battrey life is not the best and not very water proof when charging. My plan for the gps unit is to do some long off road over night trips, hoping to make a trip to alaska in the next year or so and want get used to it before the trip.

Im from canada so just want to know how the Garmin Base work map is? Before i bit the bullet and order one i just want to know it it worth the cash or is there is a better way to go.
    They offer it with for 899can with no maps and 999can In the automotive kit.
    • GPSMAP 276Cx with lifetime maps²
    • Preloaded street maps for North America
  19. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:

mmm, that's a first generation (some call it a beta release!) device, that hasn't been updated in.... well I'll be nice.... a long time.

the advancements in user interface and hardware have marched on.

flipping screens.... if the use interface designer did a good job, the touchscreen should slaughter the buttons device. it's much faster to scroll through thirty functions than to press the button twenty eight times to scroll to the one you want, or hold that button as it scrolls through them at a predetermined rate.

it's too bad about the monterra, it had promise, but the updates it should have gotten never happened