Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. MelvinKowznowsky

MelvinKowznowsky Adventurer

Oddometer:

IN case you are not aware you can update the maps on the 276C series as it is now available on Garmin Map Updater.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  2. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:

I don't know why yours died but if it is the internal soldered in lithium battery, that can be replaced. They are available on EBay and video instructions are online. My 276C still works but I'm planning to take it apart and replace that internal battery and also replace the buttons, which are also available on EBay.
  3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy MelvinKowznowsky,

It died because it has been crashed to many times, broken screen, cracked case but even then it worked for years before it finally just quit working. A fellow Inmate took pity on my sorry arse and sold me a 478 at a VERY good price so I am again a Happy Camper, thanks Bob.

Dave
  4. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    This would be very disturbing if true...never heard of this before.
  5. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really sorry to say it is both, true and disturbing.
  6. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:

I heard that the 478 is even a little better than the 276C. If I hadn't dropped my Model 176 I'd probably still be using it. It's still usable, but after I dropped it part of the screen became clouded over. It had one big advantage over its 276C successor. The black and white screen was easily visible in daylight without any backlight.
  7. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:

Garmin seems to have become a bunch of lawyer run bums. Back in their early days - I've been using GPS from back when hardly anyone knew what GPS meant - long before their intentional inaccuracy (SA) was removed, which was, I think, 2004 - back then they had superb service. They'd answer the phone right away. Once I called because my model 2 was having some problem. The tech said don't worry about it I'll just send you a new one, and then he sent me the newest model, the Garmin 2+, no charge, don't bother sending back your old one. That's how they built up their business.
  8. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought my first Garmin in 1999 (Vista), and now they're doing their absolute best to destroy that reputation. :(
    Disco Stu and ghostryder like this.
  9. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought garmin stock immediately following the IPO. I sold two-thirds of it at 10x what I paid...

After getting the montana.... I dumped all the rest....

They will almost certainly maintain leadership in aviation and marine... but I'm not that optimistic about the rest of their product lines....

I sure would like to see this unit work out... but it sounds like it may go the way of the monterra... :2cry
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  10. Homercules

Homercules Doh!

Oddometer:
    I've been using my Delorme InReach with free map downloads (and they are very nice maps) but now Garmin has bought them out! If you can't beat your competition you just buy it...successful strategy with a number of companies these days.
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  11. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The day before I read your post I sent in my broken, out-of-warranty Montana in for a replacement (about 300 euro instead of buying a new one). I had some OSM maps on the Montana when I sent it in, not realizing that it was an issue at all. I'll report back here when I hear back from Garmin.
  12. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They won't care about much of anything for an out-of-warranty unit... Once they receive your unit they just chuck it in a box to be cannibalized to refurbish units and they send you a refurb...
  13. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  14. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Goss,

For a computer idiot such as myself, this unit looks to be another GPS that is much more suited to the type of person who can't stand not being in constant touch with all their social media followers rather then a SIMPLE but dedicated rugged user FRIENDLY GPS. Oh and it has a touch screen, based on my montana experiance which I absolutely HATE the touch screen on this type of GPS won't work for me but I can see where it would be a must have for some folks.

Dave
  15. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:
    Mr Cob - I know nothing about the TRX or Magellan, but looking at their ad that Goss posted - in between the annoying popup - I didn't see anything about social media, but I also didn't see anything about ON ROAD use, POI's and directions and routing.
  16. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy MelvinKowznowsky,

"I" am not a tweeter person but in their ad they wrote of being able to tweet while using the device, then again as "I" don't know shite about such things I may have misunderstood what they wrote. I also saw nothing that described this unit as a GPS in the normal on road sense unless maps were purchased to display regular roads, cities etc. Just not my cup of tea, others may love it.

Dve
  17. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:
    I missed the tweet part, Mr. Cob!

I did find that clicking on "TRX Trailhead" leads to their map. Looks like a pretty nice layout with POI's. But how about routing and road directions? I'll look for some in depth reviews. I would actually be glad to get away from Garmin after all these years with them, this latest episode wasting 1 hour 19 minutes on the phone with their techs, when they said they will definitely not put the new 2018.2 map on MapUpdater, and since my 276C won't work with their Garmin Express and I just need to buy a new one. A year or two ago they told me I can't update my 276C anymore because it is simply incompatible with the newest maps and I need to buy a new GPS. Both times it was first the regular techs and then the boss techs (the "muckety mucks", as the regular tech told me before transferring me up to the next level last time) that told me that. Neither info was accurate, to put it politely. Also it seems that very long wait times - like 40 minutes - to even get someone to answer their phones have now become the norm.
  18. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy MK,

As I mentioned a few posts up, I recently bought a used 478 and a very nice unit it is, however I can't transfer all the waypoints I have stored in "basecamp" to it as the the new garmin software won't recognize the 478 as its to old. Spent close to an hour and 15 minutes on hold waiting to talk to a garmin tech to be told, "sorry basecamp won't work with a GPS that old." But, at least I now have a GPS that "I" can use and understand I'll just have to build the waypoint stash from actual use rather then just transfer it. Sometimes being a "Luddite" is a bitch, maybe I can resurrect one of our old computers that still has mapsource on it and get that working so I can load stuff onto the 478.

Dave
  19. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:
    Hi, Mr C -

My recent foray into the wonderful (phooey) world of the (fairly) new and shiny Garmin GPS's, namely the refurbed 3597 that I just bought, and then returned, to the very excellent GPS Store - well I transferred all my 276C waypoints to it via Basecamp. Mapsource wouldn't work. The only problem was that it changed some of the icons. The 478 is the same series as the 276C, right? Is your old 276 still functional enough to save its waypoints to Mapsource? If so you should be able to uplaod it there and then send them to the 478. But that shouldn't even be necessary if you already have your waypoints on Basecamp. I don't know why Basecamp won't work with your 478. It works with my 276. But if waypoints are now on Basecamp, just save them someplace, and then open them up with Mapsource and then transfer them to your 478. I've been able to do all that with my 276C and the 3597.
  20. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy MK,

All the waypoints are on basecamp, my old 276C worked with my older Mac, when the old Mac died the guys at the Mac store were able to transfer all the basecamp stuff to the new Mac but something changed as the new Mac will not recognize the 478 in any way. I have an old pc that has mapsource on it but after using a Mac for the last 8 years I don't remember how to work the pc, if I can even get it to fire up. Change, is something this gimpy old FF has a difficult time with, anything electronic is baffling to me sometimes I have a hard time with a light switch. :lol3 :cry

Dave
    ER70S-2 likes this.