Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. MelvinKowznowsky

MelvinKowznowsky Adventurer

Oddometer:

Those Garmin techs are fonts of disinformation. Can't you upload Mapsource on to your new computer, like from here? -

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
  2. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:
    I'm no computer expert that's for sure, and I know nothing about Macs. Can you download Mapsource to a Mac? If so you should be able to save the waypoints you already have on Basecamp and then open it up with the Mapsource and then put it on your 478. Where is my friend "Dropbear"? He is the computer and GPS expert - though his directions are maddeningly obtuse, not brilliantly concise like mine, the only caveat being that he actually knows what he's talking about.
  3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy MK,

I gave up on pc's years ago, I swear there is something about me that disturbs the force, I can crash a pc just by walking within ten feet of one. For years I fought pc's all I ever had was problems finally paid the big bucks got a Mac and all is well except the world revolves around pc's.

I took a look at the link you posted, it won't work with a Mac and the old pc I dusted off won't start up so it looks like I am out of luck when it comes to transferring anything to the 478. Its really not an issue as I have the montana for road trips and getting around strange cities and such the 478 will be my off road GPS so the old maps will work just fine for me, the waypoints I'll just fill in as I ride.

Dave
  4. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I regularly transfer data between mapsource and base camp
    it's easy you can cut and paste a lot of stuff or export/save as a GPX then open or import into the other
    Even the routing is still good if you use the same maps for both
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    ER70S-2 and bigboyxl like this.
  6. Tadpole

Tadpole Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your new MAC has USB v3.0 ports, Basecamp will not recognize the 276C.
  7. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Tadpole,

The new Mac has USB V3.0 ports, I tried to use a USB hub from the old pc, plugged the hub into the Mac, then plugged the 478 into the hub, still no joy. Oh well.................

Dave
  8. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:

Not that great, huh? I was looking at some reviews for that Magellan and I did see one that said it was basically just a tablet.
  9. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:

What, I thought USB was supposed to be backwardsly compatible! I am using a seven year old computer (Asus N71JQ) but it has one USB3 port - so is that why that port never works with my Garmin! Come to think of it that port hardly works with anything. Luckily I also have two USB2 ports. I wonder if my 276 will work with USB C. That's a problem I never thought of if I bought a new computer.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    there are very few reviews, most of which are from magazines that just regurgitated the press release from Magellan. the amazon reviews highlight some important points...

https://www.amazon.com/Magellan-TN1700SGLUC-EXplorist-Off-Road-Navigator/dp/B01AWYMI3U

like how dated that operating system is
    the non replaceable battery
    landscape only

I bet the iPad guys know how to protect, mount, access charge their devices better.... along with much better mapping software
  11. Tadpole

Tadpole Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

It's my understanding that Garmin has USB 3 drivers for the 276C if you use Windows but no MAC drivers. But I'm no expert...
  12. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    A slight derail is fine but perhaps time to take general discussions/questions about MapSource/BaseCamp/Magellan to existing threads on the subject and keep the focus of this thread on 276Cx and directly related info.

Bruce
  13. jamiebob

jamiebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With all the updates the 276cx has had (3.40) And for the one that still own it. Is I worth buying or looking for a diffrent options. I know there is not a lot of these sold at the price point of them (I'll be a 1000$ can and that come with the auto bundle with life time maps) I have read this thread 2 times now. I know there is cheaper phone option not sure if they work better in the USA. But in Canada I'm not going to trust my Samsung or iPhone for to much off road. Work great in the city for finding businesses and home.

Also what gps mount do the monster energy Honda rally bike run in the photos on page 24 ish.
  14. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So back to the 276Cx topic.
    I've been waiting for a long time and deciding either to buy or no and finally I pulled the trigger (read pushed "Add to shopping cart button"), anyway for the first trips I will be riding together with my old trusted 60Csx unit as a dubbing/emergency GPS.
    Considering the date/time my 276Cx was showing on display when I turned it on (17 January 2017) I guess it's from the first batch. I immediately updated the FW to latest available (ver3.40) and run through the whole settings process.
    Syncing with iPhone and Garmin connect app went nice and smooth, and features like live tracking and weather radar looks cool either.
    Display is just eye candy, can't stop staring on it...
    The only thing that didn't work out well is connecting to SENA intercom in my helmet, no big deal - I wasn't planning to use it together anyway, just wanted to try all the functions.
    Will be testing this unit later this month but here are unboxing pictures for beginning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, keep us updated.

Bruce
  16. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Yup, interested to hear how you make out. Really on the fence about this thing, I really want it to work out.
    ohgood, ER70S-2 and Tork like this.
  17. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I started using the unit already and find out that the pre-loaded map is not routable (which is a bit odd considering routing works when this same map is chosen in Basecamp app when unit is connected to computer ). So that means I'm doing something wrong with settings on GPS unit or it's really not routable on the unit itself?
    If it's really not routable, I immediately thought about loading the OSM maps and then I remembered Pepebayeta's story about voiding the warranty by non-Garmin maps - is it really true? 'cause I read through all the warranty conditions and googled that topic and couldn't find any word about it.
    Another point, what about Custom maps then? They are non-Garmin also, they will automatically void the warranty then??
  18. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the routable OSM maps before I returned the 276CX as not fit for purpose, simply removed them before contacting Garmin.

Hope it works out for you
    ohgood, Garry H and bigboyxl like this.
  19. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:

edited
    bigboyxl likes this.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    pepebayeta asked me to remove his (translated) email from Garmin that said third party maps would void his warrantee.

per his request, poof, I'm removing it. of course, I've emailed it to a dozen bot net remailers , that will flood the world with screenshots of it, should the Garmin hit man ever catch up with me in a dark alley. I'm joking, but I think he felt intimidated, which I am not.

anyway, ya, here comes the Streisand effect. :-)

(yes, I keep copies of everything. because some day, that Garmin hit man... lol)
    bigboyxl likes this.