Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The idea was not to make any change from the original text in the hope of a copy-paste to google translator for non spanish speakers.
    Thank you anyway.
    bigboyxl likes this.
  2. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how all end up?
    Did you return the device? Or they replaced it?
    Did they charge you for any labor?
    Or still in process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been three weeks since I sent the last email and no reply yet.
    I don't think I'll get one and I'm not sure it's worth to go further.
    bigboyxl likes this.
  4. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Garmin voiding warranties due to use of 3rd party maps just adds to the growing ill will folks have towards them. This is a bad move on their part
    EmmEff, Garry H, pepebayeta and 2 others like this.
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Especially since their automotive gps market is about to wind down due to smart phone use.

It's the dedicated users they're doing this to, not some fickle soccer mom.

Those of us that will drop this kind of coin for a unit are repeat offenders (yeah, that might be me with multiple units...), we're your past and your future. Piss us off continually, and we'll find a better way.

Garmin marketing department, you need to step up.
    Reddog*, EmmEff, Tork and 3 others like this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    just saving a step :-)
    thanks for the info!
  7. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Garmin limited warranties vary by USA or International distribution due to consumer protection laws.

Nothing in US Limited warranty or EULA literature regarding voiding a USA Garmin warranty using non-Garmin maps.

Not saying such is the case, so any questions pertaining to warranty should be addressed to Garmin.
    AugustFalcon and bigboyxl like this.
  8. MelvinKowznowsky

MelvinKowznowsky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good post, Drif10.
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh.

Before a couple hours ago, I didn't know this device existed. I happen to run across this thread and for the first few posts and pages, my jaw was dropping. Like many of you, this was exactly the GPS I was looking for. I've used about a dozen different GPS units, mostly Garmin. My last was a 478, and I really liked it.

Seeing this new model had me pretty excited.

Looks like they may have dropped the ball on this one. I'm late to the game, but I'll be watching this thread to see if anything good comes out. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jamie
  10. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I first played with it, with no prior knowledge it existed, at Overland Expo, and was blown away. I couldn't believe that I was as excited about a GPS as I was when I got my original 276. I came here to check it out, and was really bummed by what I was reading.

I duck back in here every so often to see if some magic new update fixed everything, but I get let down. I don't understand it either. It's not like Garmin doesn't know how to build these things.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  11. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You dont need a gps for northern bc, yt or ak... Not many roads!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin has never warranted (Limited or otherwise) the use of non-Garmin Map products on their devices.
    Your warranty is quite safe even if you are using OSM maps - which are not "proprietary" software. Garmin often requests testing with OSM Maps to diagnose City Navigator issues. There is nothing in the Warranty (EU or US) that prohibits the use of non-Garmin Map products. Garmin simply states that they do not warrant that non-Garmin maps will function.
    AugustFalcon, bigboyxl and Eltjo like this.
  13. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Now THAT makes sense. The prior posts on map warranties didn't
    Xico likes this.
  14. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    like others in this thread the 276Cx is a huge disappointment to me. I have been using my old standby 276C for years. Loved it, but it's dying a slow death (looses satellite reception in even light tree cover, battery doesn't last long so I leave it wired in, small memory card that my mac can't seem to download more than 1 state onto it regardless of how I try to transfer sections). I am in desperate need of a new unit. I had high hopes for the Monterra, but realized pretty quickly that it would not do because of lack of focus from Garmin on what could have been a fantastic unit if they would keep up with a few newer versions of Android.

Then the holy grail, an updated 276Cx!!! I looked at it while I was at the SHOT show in vegas and it seemed to be the answer to my prayers. Went back to my hotel to check ADV and get the scoop (mainly @DRTBYK review) and was crushed to see what had happened to the units that were sent out for sale. BUT I kept my spirit high and knew that Garmin would fix things and all would be right with the world. But alas, I should have looked at the past and realized that IT'S SO CLOSE... but probably not going to happen. I still keep my fingers crossed and have this thread as one of the only notifications for new posts that I get when I log in, but I am about to give up. I need a new system for keeping tracks and being able to use something easily on the bike and in the car. Not sure what direction to go but I'm very disappointed with Garmin. They should have just taken the 276c, used an SD card slot, AMPS mount, more efficient battery, and updated the antenna/GLONASS and it would be golden. oh well... I had been considering a Montana but given the total lack of follow thru, product testing, paying attention to customer feedback, product delivery, meaningful updates, etc. I feel that Garmin is just not going to be an valid option. Very sad.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the email stated that using third party software/maps would void the warrantee. I agree, that doesn't make sense, but it was what the email stated in the quote.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    some people are too fast to look at their gps anyway, aren't you ? ;-)
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Consumer Rights Lawer would have a field day with that statement from an official Garmin source: i.e, Product Support.
    AugustFalcon and ohgood like this.
  18. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to buy one and sell off my fleet of 478's.

A few of my riding friends who I trust, and am impressed with their GPS skills, are quite happy with their 276 CX's.

Nothing is ever perfect, and I am willing to accept a few known faults. If it really sucks I can always sell it.
  19. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    please keep us posted. I can put up with some imperfections (I am using a 276C after all) but don't want a paperweight. It seems like the less detail you have on your maps the better the performance (i.e. not using it in cities at higher speeds)...

anyway hopefully they will continue to upgrade the software and keep supporting the unit till it's right or closer to being right.
    bigboyxl likes this.
  20. Eltjo

Eltjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just sended this to http://garmin.com/ideas
    Hi, I bought a 276Cx as successor for my 276C, Montana and Monterra and have some idea's to make the 276Cx better.
    -Update the firmware to make it possible to connect to a bluetooth headset.
    -Update the firmware to show your actual position on the road when navigating
    -Like on the 276C, in the datafield battery, show the vehikel's voltage when in the amps mount.
    -Like on the 276C, in route preference, add custom avoidances
    -Like on the Montana and Monterra, make the speedlimit datafield turn red when speeding
    -On the page layout Map with Overlay, make the letters and numbers black again, like it was with the early firmware
    -make the popup screen useable
    -make it possible to sent gpx files between the 276Cx and the Monterra
    Thanks, Eltjo