Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

you already bought it, why should they care ?

that sounded smarky...
    sorry about that....

the point was, the people who have RETURNED theirs already have given Garmin notice of why they were. asking for features that agent on the board, may not be noticed as readily if it was purchased without those features.

there, that's better.
  2. jamiebob

jamiebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading everthing here more than once i went out and got the 276cx with North American road map and also 3rd party map card for bc and ab (canada). It was a lot of money for a gps. Lots of people say just use you smart phone, life proof case, phone mount, wire is a 12v port and a usb charger. To me all that cost adds up and phone are not cheap here in canada. 300$ min on a 2year trem and still need case. Now i hope my 276cx lasts as long as some of your guys 276c now it starts to look pretty cheap.

I have never had a chance to used the 276c, the 276cx work great for my need. It has been slow to pan around but i have the map on most detail and zoomed in and to be fair google maps and the home computer is also slow.
    Some say it wont pair to sena. Not sure i have a sena 20s dont think ill ever pair it to my gps, it has a huge bright screen look down you will know where to turn.

I camp and dirt bike lots with my family wife and 4 kids we are out just about every weekend making track. I mount it to the handle bar with ram mount my husky 701 and to the dash of the rzr. Im a big fan that it works with gloves the find button is super handly looking for fuel stops, ohv areas, roads and well sites and how far is the and direction to what way need to travel.

Im sure its a small market for the 276 As it took garmin 12 ish years to come out with something new 276cx. imo. If you want it to change you have to support it if they cant get the sale they dont have a budget to fix the glitches.
    AugustFalcon, Major_Zero and Tork like this.
  3. mudbreeder

mudbreeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In general, i like my CX more and more, and i think you have a point, if garmin sells 10 devices and buyers start to ask for fixes, they can't be bothered, there is no profit, if they sell thousands, and thousands of customers demand fixes, the game changes, there is more profit in trying to keep these customers happy, if the device would be that bad, a lot of people will lose faith in garmin and look for alternatives.

There is no comparing between screen refresh in 276c vs 276cx as the 276c with original data card was max 512Mb, now a single map image is multiple Gb, if you use recent maps there is a lot of detail and extra detail to proces, if you use maps from early 2000's in a 512mb img size, the 276cx will be faster but i have to test and try to film this, i use city navigator and garmin topo maps.
    The only thing that is useless is the popup screen when navigating and also screen refresh when using birdseye or birdseye select, 30sec for zooming in 1 time is already smooth.
    And some missing features from 276c should have been standard on Cx but are still missing.
    I don' t use birdseye or birdseye select anymore
  4. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This makes complete sense. I use the Russian 2Gig cards in my 478 and it takes a while to refresh and reroute. The convenience of having all of Europe or North America on your GPS makes up for the small inconvenience. Besides every 2 gig card we get out of Russia means one more blind ICBM :rofl
    FarmerKeith likes this.
  5. MelvinKowznowsky

MelvinKowznowsky Adventurer

Oddometer:

Maybe your second internal battery needs to be replaced. Directions are online. As for the main battery you can get a replacement on Ebay like I did. I'm still using 276C too. I'll get around to opening it up and replacing the buttons and internal battery one of these years. And yeah, me too, I was waiting for a really and truly new and improved 276C, just like they upgraded me from my older 176.
  6. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:

Doesn't show your position on the road when navigating? Say what? No custom avoidances?

The speed limit datafield turning red, though - that seems to be a very intrusive feature on some of Garmin's newest models.
  7. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:
    "$100 for the 'perfect squeeze' from our own wildly popular vendor on adv. "

Where is "adv."?

" sooo, you're saying we should buy subpar products, to motivate companies to make them better as they roll in the profits ?"

Absolutely!

Yrs,

Fred Garmin
  8. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And, in my opinion, the sub-par option is the Android phone.

I've been playing with, and attempting to use the Android option for about 2 years - and it's still lacking in some critical areas.

Locus handles tracks right, but the screen rendering of the roads is still not up to snuff. It's gotten better, but still short.
    OSMand has good rendering (the maps are easy to read), but tracks are a disaster. Changes color from what was loaded? Changes name from what was loaded? Give me a break!!!

So, in my opinion, the Android software is still lacking. Hardware has gotten MUCH better, but if the software is still lacking it ain't there.
  9. Dorsland

Dorsland Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a GPS map64s that I am really happy with (I use it for some farming applications too) but find the small screen is becoming harder to read at a glance when biking. I'm really betwixt and between replacing it with either the 276c or the Montana 650. I have read some reviews on the latter being a bad idea with its touchscreen.

What advice have you guys.
  10. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Less easy to use touchscreen on the 650 (680 now) with gloves, shorter battery life and not particularly good sun readable screen.

or buttons on a 276CX that cannot keep the display up to date in the high detail you are paying big bucks for, but has excellent battery life and a top screen.

Not a particularly good choice on either at present.

My Garmin glass is half empty! but I'm back running with the Montana as it does at least work. Like many on here, hoping the 276CX gets fixed.
    Dorsland likes this.
  11. Tork

Tork Aluminum Cigar Stuffer

Oddometer:
    Is this the one that comes with the automotive bundle ?
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  13. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GARMIN 276cx ORDERED. REVIEW TO FOLLOW.

The prices for the Garmin 276cx have suddenly dropped now significantly, so I have ordered one to evaluate it myself. One of the main points why many still hold on to their old 276c is, that it shows the road type OVER the active route marking, which is a feature many motorcyclists value. With all newer units it is not possible to identify the road type of the active route.
    I have written emails to both Garmin US and Garmin Sweden and actually got a very helpful reply from Sweden. What they says is that they don't have a direct contact to the developers, but WE users need to put pressure on Garmin to get things changed. So PLEASE: use this link to report all your ideas for improvement. If I should decide to keep the 276cx I am hoping to get a message one day like this: "New firmware update available. Graphic layers have been changed to show road type over active route marking." That would be the day for all of us to virually open a bottle of champagne!
    So please help me put pressure on the Garmin US, report your ideas!

http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
  14. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is how my setup looks
    [​IMG]
    To the left is a mount for good ol' 60Csx
    A week to go on a big 2 weeks trails trip will see how the 276Cx will perform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *kartman*, F650Dakar_Norway and Tork like this.
  15. MelvinKowznowsky

Oddometer:
  16. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Sent a message about road type and a route mileage adjustment plus or minus in 1 mile increments
  17. nordicbiker

Oddometer:
    Great, kerp on pushing garmin! I hope they read the suggestions (at least they have a page to report them!) and will act accordingly!
  18. nordicbiker

Oddometer:
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  19. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well i won't be buying one no matter how cheap it is until Garmin get the thing working properly :waysad
    I am still not convinced they ever will in it's current form
    EmmEff, CLANTECH, chris_sav and 3 others like this.
  20. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    As an FYI if you fly United you can buy any Garmin GPS with air miles. I wasn't prepared to buy a 276Cx hoping they fix the issues, but getting one for $0 is a different proposition. Min should be here next week for something like 82K air miles.