Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Dave Funk

Dave Funk talent scout

Oddometer:
    Today, on a whim, I connected up one of my old 376C units and it agrees perfectly with my Nav5. I sent my 276cx back for a new one to Garmin. If its the same as the old one I'm selling it. Garmins excuse is that the 276cx is reading the card differently than all others, Hummmmmm. sounds like BS to me.
    CLANTECH likes this.
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Damn. I keep up with this thread, hoping Garmin is finally gonna sort this thing out. I really want one, but the execution of this x78 successor is a fail. Especially at this price, with no mapping unless you pay even more. :baldy
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know. I'd have been on this immediately if it had lived up to the 276, 37x, 47x. This has been a major disappointment for an untold number of 276C-47x faithful. :(
  4. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    My memory could be fuzzy, but wasn't the reissue of this model championed within Garmin by a motorcyclist (possibly an ADVer). I wonder how he feels about Garmin's efforts, or lack thereof.
  5. Dave Funk

Dave Funk talent scout

Oddometer:
    If its who I think it is he does not recommend it either
  6. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read the posts on page one of this thread (my 276cx went back)
  7. paquo

paquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have gone for a reissue of the old one for maybe $500 without the bluetooth etc, just a relatively big screen with buttons that functioned correctly.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  8. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

I wouldn't mind paying full pop for one with the current features, if it worked as well as my aging 478. I'd love to have a bigger screen, more memory, etc. The bluetooth I honestly couldn't care about.
  9. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am actually liking mine for the way I use it, but I rarely have a need to pan or to change maps. I also like the bluetooth because of the notifications that show on the screen. If my wife really needs to get hold of me she can send a text and it pops up on the screen. Luckily few folks have my cell number so I do not get many calls or text messages. It would be a nuisance if there were a lot of these notifications popping up.
  10. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    There have been a few times in the past where I've had directions piped from my phone into my helmet, and it was handy enough to just leave my phone in my pocket, but still get where I was going. I don't think it's as necessary on the bike, since the GPS is right there in eyeshot. I know some people use it for XM radio, but the interface to me is painful, and I have zero interest in paying for radio full of ads. It it can just handle lots of data well, meaning City Navigator and GBs worth of topo, then I'm good. It sounds to me like it struggles with that though.

My old Garmins, like the V, and even my original 276, couldn't recalculate quickly enough so that I didn't miss the next turn as well, which then becomes a cycle. I can't go back to that.
  11. empedrado

Oddometer:
    My views would probably be different if I road mostly pavement or used routes to navigate. My map set is City Nav with Custom Map overlays for NF and certain BLM MVUM's. The resolution and the size of the screen give me all I need to explore point A to point B. I am not listening to anything trough the 276, but I do like the pop up notifications for text messages from my wife. BTW, rarely do I even get one of these. In an average days ride, I may only have one notification appear and that one is usually from a friend who knows I am out riding. What I like most about the 276cx is the resolution and brightness of the screen along with the buttons vs touch screen. FWIW, I have owned a ton of Garmin devices going all the way back to the GPS II. Other devices I presently own include the Zumo 665, Montana 650T and 610 along with the Monterra.

I cannot comment on how the 276 handles topo maps as I have little use for them with the ability to have MVUM overlays on the modern devices. My guess is that topo maps would not be its strong suite with the large data to process and display.
    70East and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  12. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone successfully gotten the CN lifetime map upgrade from Garmin. I bought mine the day it came out and in turn bought CNNA. Just got off the phone with Garmin and they told me it cant be done.
  13. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm likely missing something but let's start with what form was the CN purchase: download (to GPS, Computer or both), or CD/DVD, or SD memory chip?
    The SD chip can't be updated.
    The download and DVD should be updatable unless something has changed. The DVD usually included one free update, otherwise pay for a 1 time update or buy lifetime updates.

Bruce
  14. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked garmin about this some time ago. They told me lifetime map updates were only available for zumo and nuvi series.

There was no automotive bundle available at that time, so maybe things changed.
    My experience with garmin tells me if you didn't buy the bundle, they won't give the chance to get a lifetime update.
    I'd like to be wrong. Let us know how it worked.
  15. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was downloaded. I was under the impression Garmin was upgrading people to CNNA LM, that bought early.

I think that's how it's going.
  16. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then that is new as I have a 78 with a downloaded CN for which I later added Lifetime Updates.

Bruce
  17. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bruce, I posted this when I asked garmin about it.
    I don't know if it works or if it doesn't, but I can tell you that's what garmin told me.
  18. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks, another strike against the 276Cx.

Bruce
  19. empedrado

Oddometer:
    If anyone out there is regretting their purchase of a 276cx, I would be willing to trade a Montana 610 and a 478 for their device. The 478 has a crack in the screen but is otherwise in good condition. The screen saver I have installed seems to have limited the damage of the crack, but I live in the desert SW and we just do not have much moisture. The 610 has CN North America (48 states) installed and has had very limited use since I purchased the 276. The 610 was purchased a year ago and the 276 in January.
  20. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Anxiously watching to see if how this unit pans out. I bought a 478 about 10 years ago, used. My last trip, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/3-twins-head-to-deadhorse.1228229/, we had 3.5 days of rain in a row. At the end of it my 478 was a complete fish tank. The unit was completely filled with water and is now unusable. I used my iPhone for the rest of the trip. It worked, got the job done, but I really like having the phone separate from the GPS. Since one of the reasons to get out on the bike is to get away from the phone. The 478 was great, but needed some improvements. Saw this and was hoping as many have stated that this unit was the answer. Anyone selling a used one yet?