Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    airplane mode
  2. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I am aware...I work in technology. However, I prefer the GPS over the phone. I like the layouts better and having everything I want on the screen with the map, like elevation, speed, sunset, trip. All in the 4 corners like I had on the 478. I especially like the elevation and sunset time when looking for a place to camp in the evening. You only make that mistake once of camping in a high elevation without the right gear for the temps.
  3. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I still have my 478. It works fine, although with only a 512kb data card, the map data can't really be updated.

I bought a BMW Nav V two years ago. I don't particularly like its interface. Too Nuvi-ish and not enough 478-ish. But it works well enough.

On my iPhone I carry the GPS app PocketEarth. It has most of the good data I like on the 478 (elevation, etc). Routes ok. Imports gpx (through iTunes, yeah a PITA).

Only significant negative is that it must have cellular data to plan a route. Something about how it needs to connect with the Pocketearth server before the calculation is done.
  4. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    If this happens to anyone I suggest you open the unit at the end of the day and put a hair dryer on it. It is easy to do. Get it dried out right away and you will have a fairly good chance it will recover. If the screen itself get water logged you can replace it for little money. I don't trust the water proofness of my 276C so I put a clear plastic bag around it when it rains, a royal pain, but until the CX gets to be what it needs to be I want to keep my 276C functional.
  5. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    I am one week into riding the TAT with the 276CX and I thought I would post some quick thoughts.

Good things:
    • The screen is superb. Big, bright, crisp, just all around win on this point. Makes it super easy to read and ride.
    • Moving from my trusty 60CX, the mounting mechanism is much better. I have the cradle attached to a RAM base and it sits in the centre of my f800GS handle bars.
    • Power on and off via can bus on the f800gs is really handy and again a big improvement over my hard wired 60CX.
    • Buttons are easy to use while riding, I can't be doing with touch screens.
    • The US 100k topo maps are perfect for riding the TAT. Has almost every trail on there and makes finding alternative dirt routes easy.
    • I like the rechargeable battery.
    • Rode through the tail end of tropical depression Harvey and got so wet it felt like I was riding a submarine. GPS never skipped a beat and worked without issue.
    • It seems to have every freaking mode or option a Garmin GPS can posses e.g. heart rate indicator ?!
    Bad things:

• So many bugs, just so many.
    • 50% chance the whole thing locks up calculating a road route. Device can't be recovered without removing the battery.
    • Map de clutter randomly turns itself on and off as it sees fit.
    • When de clutter is on it leaves all the cemeteries displayed for some reason ....
    • When trying to pan and zoom on the map with the pointer the map will randomly jump to locations far away from the pointer forcing you to start again
    • Finding and routing are only slightly faster than my 10 year old 60CX. This is bewildering for such a new and expensive unit.
    • No idea if the weather map thing is ever meant to work.
    • UI glitches where text falls outside of boxes and is overlaid on the map.
    I think it is ridiculous that Garmin are charging such money for such an un-finished product. Hopefully it will get better with more updates. If it worked properly it would be a great adventure GPS. At the moment, there is not much worth upgrading from my 60CX apart from the big screen and better mounting. As usual, good hardware let down by bad software.
  6. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    Couple of pics.

DSC08771.jpg
    DSC08819.jpg
    F650Dakar_Norway and ohgood like this.
  7. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    Please make sure you go to the garmin website and express your findings and frustrations with the unit. I keep hoping that with the next set of updates things will get better but so far it's looking like the monterra with regards to garmin making improvements.

Has anyone gotten better results with the latest updates?
  8. Tork

Tork Aluminum Cigar Stuffer

Oddometer:
    Corona thanks for taking time to post , safe travels .
  9. zym

zym Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I have been using 276CX for 9 months. The device performance is getting better and better with the firmware updates. Now I can use the device with City Navigator Europe (Normal map detail, automative mode) without problem. When I used north up and most nap detail, performance dropped dramatically.

I had a Garmin Monterra before and it also had such problems. But I am happy to upgrade from Monterra to 276cx. Because it is better in some aspects such as battery life and big screen.
  10. socalluke

socalluke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you get the MVUM overlay maps?
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about this as well! :hmmmmm
  12. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I build them. Not too hard with the right software and assuming the forest your interested in has geo referenced pdf MVUM's available (most do).

Which brings up another advantage of the 276cx vs the Montana. It holds a lot more tiles of Custom Maps than the Montana.
  13. socalluke

socalluke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, thanks guys. I currently use the Avenza app and most MVUM maps are free and download right into the app. Thus the phone GPS location (shows up and tells me where I'm at on the trail.) Super easy to use, with only a few clicks.

It is just hard to see the iphone screen as I'm bouncing down the trail in direct sun light.
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wants to keep you very, very aware of your mortality
    Corona, Tenderboy and empedrado like this.
  15. Wandrer

Wandrer n00b

Oddometer:
    I have an old 376C and wondering if mapping software that is compatible with the 276Cx will work. I recently got maps from Backroad Mapbooks, a mapping company that is Garmin based, and it loaded to MapSource nicely. I want to update my TOPO and road maps on the 376C
  16. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost a year has passed now since I bought the 276CX and promptly returned it due to its inability to render detailed maps fast enough to tell me to turn before the junction and not after it!

How about an update from anyone who has stuck with the 276CX since the early days, has there been a significant improvement in rendering of detailed maps?

I'll buy another sooner or later!
  17. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I keep coming back here to see how things are going. My trusty 478 has started to develop some dead pixels so I'm afraid it's on it's way out. It had lost it's waterproofness some years back and now from riding in dusty conditions, the underside of the screen has collected some dust. I still have a 376c & two 276's. I wonder if the screens would be interchangeable?

I've been forcing myself to use my Montan 680 more and getting better with it, but man I still hate a touch screen with gloves. I continually finding myself adding a pin on the map when I tried to click on something else on the screen. In that aspect I love the buttons of the 478 so much better.

It sounds like the 276cx has gotten at least somewhat better and I think the way I use it, I'd be fine. Still on the fence though.
    SpeedyR likes this.
  18. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost certainly. The weak part of the enclosure on these was the display bezel. I learned after my first 196 you can't put too much pressure on the front of the display bezel (no touch here!) or it will break the seal to the front.
    Touch is the lazy manufacturers UI. Sexy and easy to sell, but that's an emperor without clothes. Buttons are essential on vehicle navigation systems in my opinion.
    It might have good enough performance for me but until they at least knock down the bugs... :lurk
    BlueLghtning and Tork like this.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

please don't tell the car manufacturers this, they'll start over and put all the buttons on the wiper stalk again....

turning on the wipers will be a three part process, and deleting all the FM radio presets will be one button push sequence different.... meaning every time it rains (or you want to navigate) the radio will die.

which will require turning the key off three times, then opening the glovebox twice, to reset the omgthatsanuglyradio security pin.
  20. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I understand what you are saying is [or at least seems] rather tongue-in-cheek, a car on a smooth road is completely different than just about every other vehicle type out there when it comes to shock and vibe which is what presents the challenge to touch and I will still suggest that even the car navigation systems would be better with buttons but the present market space is enamored with touch and they are cheap so I don't see the auto market changing any time soon...