Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. PoleRbear

PoleRbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t mind buttons that much although I would prefer well executed touch screen. The biggest pain is to input addresses by clicking arrows all over the screen and hunting letters. That’s just dumb in this day and age but if this unit was working the way it’s supposed to ( fast, smooth and accurately with maxed out topo details on crisp, bright screen) then I would not think twice about spending the $$$, buttons or not. As of now what this unit does is barely capable of following a track but for that I don’t need nearly $1000 device. 64s series would be sufficient for not much more than $200.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imagine for a moment that whatever performance issues with this 276cx where to everyone's at least B+ expectations *and* they incorporated a touch sensorin the otherwise identical unit but brought in all the best features of touch into the UI... Would you not really value the buttons? Just a hypothetical, but... (I'd pay $1K for that!)

Frankly the dedicated purpose buttons on the 276cx and the big display are what grabs my attention. As much garmin bashing as I may have done the button interface on these units is really very good - they got good at it in the marine/aviation market where they're still very well respected...
    ohgood and empedrado like this.
  3. PoleRbear

Oddometer:
    Actually I don’t have the touch vs buttons dilemma, this is way down my list of must haves and nice to haves. What I wanted to say is that both ways are acceptable if implemented right. I would be perfectly fine with either interface as long as it works to my expectations. I wouldn’t use it a lot for navigating to addresses, mostly for off road, but I don’t want to buy something that is painfully slow and misses turns when navigating.
    Unfortunately looking at the timing of hardware updates from Garmin it will take them 10 years to figure it out to bring it up to speed. But then it will be 2027, the world will be navigating with VR contact lenses, and there’s a good chance they will be 10 years behind everyone else.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I think the problem with garmin outside the marine and aviation markets is the small size of a market of sophisticated navigators so they don't put the effort into that market since there isn't the return on investment.

The reason that the x76/x96 series were such well-respected units is that they were primarily designed for those markets and so they had a much larger market of sophisticated navigators. It was very fortunate for the rest of us using them outside those applications that they put very good routing and on-road usage functionality and features.

Well at least that's my "theory"! :D
  5. PoleRbear

Oddometer:
    I agree and pushing a flop like 276cx is not helping to retain current customers or attract new ones. Does it really take that much money and effort to make the device work fast when you design it from scratch? And since there’s nothing on the market that would fill the niche that 276cx was design for is making Garmin lazy and arrogant. Yes, asking $800+ dollars for a flop because there’s no competition is arrogant.
    ER70S-2 and ohgood like this.
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my industry experience I'd say it definitely does....
    EmmEff likes this.
  7. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    It's not as if Garmin hasn't done this before, though. Heck, they could have taken the code off the 478 to start with...
    ER70S-2 and ohgood like this.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fought this battle so many times I can't count...

Sales: We need <great new product> product with <requirements>.
    Mgmt: SteveAZ, we'd like you to run with this. We need it's unit cost to be X. It needs to be deliverable in Y. Your budget is Z.
    Me (old guy): I can give you two of the three. Choose your poison.
    Young guy: I can do it!
    Mgmt (to young guy): Love your enthusiasm, it's yours.

Product is late, missing features *and* costs more than target and is way over budget....

99% of people will grossly underestimate the effort it takes to engineer a product - and that's the engineers! Non-engineers/project managers have zero clue. Using old code and copy and paste hardware only gets you so far. A product like this is a *lot* of work and takes a lot of resources and time. Debug alone is months...
  9. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Steve. I appreciate your perspective
  10. WacoDirtryder

WacoDirtryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buttons are way better for a motorcycle gps that touch screen flat out sucks. I don't care what kind of gloves you have on.
  11. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ergonomics folks agree... They are in the camp that in any vehicle, and especially road vehicles that require constant attention to the piloting, fixed-function buttons are a whole lot less distracting and much easier to find and get reliable activation since memory will get you to them better and feel will let you know they've been pressed...

Touch is cheap - especially when making reliable buttons. It has a marketing sex appeal. Folks attraction and familiarity with smart phones make them more acceptable than they probably should be. Other than that, buttons win all the way around in a vehicle application...
    Reddog* and ER70S-2 like this.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    how easy is it to plot this short route, add waypoints with and edit their descriptions, on the 276 with buttons?
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-21-04-15.png

im just going through real world usages im familiar with and curious
  13. The Lemming

The Lemming n00b

Oddometer:
    Is it really to much to ask for to stick to the topic of this tread?

Personally I don’t care if you prefer buttons or touchscreen.

The topic is about the Gpsmap 276 Cx and it has buttons.

Please address Garmin if you want to change that fact.
    grisen and CLANTECH like this.
  14. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the old x76/x96's creating a route on the fly was a breeze... I'm guessing it's just as easy on the 276cx...

I also don't get the constant chatter from folks who don't own and aren't interested in the 276cx and appear to *only* want to bash (I bash montana plenty, but I own one and I contribute positively a lot too)... If it had more sterling performance reports I *would* own one and there's a better than even chance I'll end up with one and end up finding that while the map draw performance isn't great it will be fine for a real electronic navigation system with real routing and navigation features, *and buttons*. In the "old days" pretty much all units map draw performance was dismal but the real value of the device isn't map draw performance anyway.... half the time or more with my montana it's setting on the trip computer page (no map).

If you really like using a phone for "navigation" then you aren't really interested a true electronic navigation system - although some of these folks might prefer pilots use phones instead of cockpit navigation systems to shoot an ILS approach in near zero visibility and turbulence or for the ship captain to navigate the channel at a large port with high tidal flows... :lol2
    The Lemming likes this.
  15. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I gave up praising the unit on here--my post would always get reputed and stomped on--mostly by the same guy-----------mine works great.
    Luv the 10,000 waypoints
    Luv the 250 routes
    Luv the 250 tracks
    These 3 things no one mentions.

You can save your breath asking me any more questions about the unit.
    The answer to all questions is "Mine works perfect".
    I know one guy won't be able to stand that I said that.
    He'll be here momentarily as he's go nothing else to do.
    BigDog
    [​IMG]
  16. HTSRocker

HTSRocker amateur

Oddometer:
    There is at least one poster in this thread that has never posted anywhere else on the site, just comes here to give his expert negative advice.
    My 276cx works just fine. Use one or don't, that's up to you.
    grisen and The Lemming like this.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    see above. this isn't bashing buttons... but instead just asking how a person does it, with only buttons. changing waypoint names is something I do regularly during rides. the button unit (60) was just as difficult as the touch screen unit (Oregon) to accomplish this. I'm looking for real world uses instead of generalizations. :-)

if I were bashing anything it would be the price, slowness, etc that have already been covered here repeatedly. there's always a chance that we learn something when comparing uses. :-)
  18. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone seems to agree that the 276cx works great with tracks but previous posts found fault with the next turn function when using routes.
    I use my montana for both tracks and highway routes
    so my question is...how does it work as far as auto routing and next turn function?
    It's not much use to me if I'm in the middle of a freeway and the next turn indication pops ups 5 minutes after I passed the turn
  19. HTSRocker

HTSRocker amateur

Oddometer:
    I for one don't use that feature but maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

Pssst, I rarely ride freeways. I bet other units are better suited for highway use, I don't know, this unit does what I want it to do for me.
  20. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    My 478 is getting tempermental, hoping that this premium priced replacement gets sorted some. A lot of money for a unit that lacks function.

Think I'll end up with one eventually, can't see anything else out there that comparable to my 478
    ER70S-2 and bobcat like this.