Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Dezfox

Dezfox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought the 276 CX.. Appears Tourtech doesn't have a locking mount system available as of yet for this unit.. Any suggestion on what mount system to use on a GS 800 ADV?
  2. CLANTECH

CLANTECH Cruising Southern Africa

Oddometer:
    The original Garmin mount is quite ok. Is the same like for the Montana. It can be locked with an included little tool. But nothing on the market with a proper key lock. I guess not enough were sold in order to develop one...

Hanging around, planning my next trip.
  3. hmuehl

hmuehl n00b

Oddometer:
    Dezfox likes this.
  4. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would never bother or want to do that. Here's a real world scenario that disqualifies all touch screen GPS units. Going down a bumpy trail in either my SxS, GS, or my snowmobile. An intersection comes up with 3 trail/track options. I need to quickly zoom and scroll to see where these tracks lead. I also may want to rest the pointer over a waypoint or rt in order to see it more clearly. The intersection is coming up so I quickly Exit the scroll and zoom in close so I can make sure and take the right trail/track. This can NOT be done, on the fly, not breaking stride at all, in rough conditions quickly and efficiantly with touch screen. If you tell me you can, then I'll tell you, you're not doing it nearly as quickly as I do. Been leading groups off road for 20 plus years, the 276/376 units are/were king. I run 2 units on my dash/bars a Montana and a 478. The Montana is there for its ability to hold a sat. fix in dense trees and it can store tons of tracks.. The 478 is still the one I reach for, for on the fly track or orientation checks. I want a GPS that does both. Great on the fly handling, and the ability to store lots of tracks. (478 limit 15 tracks)

Been holding out but nows the time, as my four 376/478 units are getting very tired. So I just ordered the 276CX and it is going to do exactly what I want. I figured I better go ahead and get one before they are discontinued. because after reading this thread, I realize there are very few of us that actually have appreciation for a GPS unit that allows for this type of on the fly Navigation. I guess if you don't get it, you just don't get it.
    BlueLghtning, The Lemming and Reddog* like this.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you look at the 78? All the Tracks features of the Montana and buttons.
  6. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did, never cared for it, screen to small. The 276cx seems like the first viable replacement for the 276/478
  7. CLANTECH

CLANTECH Cruising Southern Africa

Oddometer:
    @jrsue:

I hope you won’t be disappointed. I have the 276Cx and have been using it in Southern Africa. Out in the open following tracks it’s a beauty. Nice and large screen, readable even in heavy sunlight.
    But for example in Johannesburg it’s useless. If I use it to go an address, the turn off commands come after the actual turn has passed.
    I have no installed in my car here in Switzerland. Only Map currently installed is OSM Switzerland, so not much data at all. Detail option on normal. Even just using the map without following a track or route, the unit is not able to keep up with the actual position of the car. It’s always about 200 meter behind the actual position. The cursor jumps instead of a smooth drive on the map.

Very disappointing for such an expensive unit. In cities I use NAVIGON on my iPhone. Way better and up to the task. Can’t say the same of the 276Cx.... was using my old 276Map the other day on my KTM. Same map but the speed was just perfect.
    Garmin has really messed up with this 276Cx.

Greets

Claudio

Hanging around, planning my next trip
    Lobby and PoleRbear like this.
  8. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. For on road navigating I prefer my smart phone. My Beanbag usually has a 478 mounted but I seldom activate a route, and never search for POI, smart phones are way better at this.

The 276cx will be used for off road, and Mostly following tracks, which I first build in BaseCamp. Many of the tracks are initially made in Google earth, then imported into BC. Other tracks are made from, cut and spliced sections of track which I have generated over the years while exploring. My one concern though, you mentioned the cursor jumping while tracking...this is not good. Does it do it all the time? and is it common with all, as I have not read about this problem here?
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

search this thread for "returned" or "slow" for the users that could not make this $1000 GPS work for navigation. or the other forums online that center around Garmin products.
  10. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohgood, thank you for your reply. I have had this debate before, on line and on the trail. The only time I ever loose is on line. Another real world example. I was leading a group of SxS's in West Virginia Hatfield MaCoy trail system. Let me just say that its massive the amount of trails, dead ends, and 2 tracks. Then to complicate maters its in rugged mts where most of these trails/tracks switch back constantly. Needless to say keeping orientated is a struggle, especially for those rookies using Track Up.

One of the guys armed with his 10inch Pad mounted to dash running BCN. Was pretty confident and cocky in his ability to take the lead position and do the navigating for the group. Let me just say the fun stopped real fast after one hr of him leading. Out front, He was constantly stopping, and our overall average speed was probably cut in half. I was voted back to the front.

The difference is, in even moderate bumpy conditions, it is impossible to accuratly and SAFELY manipulate your screen information with a touch screen. Its not about my era and your era. Its about what tool works best for my specific application. And for on trail, on the fly, navigating, Touch Screens SUCK!!.

Now I read in a previous post of yours that you do not manipulate your GPS while moving. If thats the case then I'm sure your units work great for you. But frankly you have no idea what I'm even talking about, regarding on the fly navigating.
    BlueLghtning and Reddog* like this.
  11. Karson

Karson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like that guy with his 10" iPad probably wouldn't know the difference between a track and route if you asked him :lol2 I was on about 900 miles of back country "roads" in South Dakota on the Dakal this September, and had no problem in Locus manipulating my screen around while in motion (albeit, in controlled/predictable sections of the track). I'm not sure I believe anyone who says they mess with their GPS when it gets bumpy on a bike - that sounds suspect. Maybe in a SxS that's possible, but if I'm offroad in anything but smooth sections, my eyes are looking up and both hands are on the handlebars. If anything, I take a quick glance down at my phone every 20 or 30 seconds for any upcoming turnoffs, but more than that and I wait until we can stop.

At any rate, the fact that sub $100 phones are being compared to a device nearly 10x the price should tell you something! Regardless of the touch screen vs button debate. Have a feature suggestion or issue with Locus/Osmand? We're talking days or maybe a week or two to get addressed. How long does it take Garmin to address feature suggestions or bugs (you don't have to answer!).

I'm the complete opposite as far as what device works better, and where. For mainly road, Garmins are OK and their routing is pretty brain dead simple if your City Navigator is relatively up to date. Anything else, mobile devices can hold their own (and win easily if price is considered), but at the end of the day, the user still has to be competent.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok lets take trail out of the equation. 4 lane Highway speeds, Even here I find a touch screen absolutely cumbersome compared to my 376/478. Now if you say you shouldn't be messing with your GPS while doing 60mph down the freeway thats fine, and thats great safety advise. Everyones different, but for me with a unit like the 478 I feel quit comfortable manipulating GPS screen information on the fly. And yes it is also very easy in a SxS.
    BlueLghtning and Reddog* like this.
  13. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ummm... I sent in a request to OSMand+ to fix their screwed up track handling 2 years ago... still broke.
    A file with multiple named tracks color coded for difficulty gets changed to Track 1, Track 2, Track 3... all in the same color.
    That doesn't sound like good navigation ability to me.
    OSMand has great map readability... Locus has gotten better, but it still isn't as good. So how's that for fixing things?
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i think we might be comparing different types of 'single track'.

this is what I call single track

i know i'm not 'fast' and plenty of guys could whip up a 5 star breakfast with fried eggs and everything, at my pace.... but no, I don't think anyone is going to be manipulating a gps on single track.

sure, on a biiiiiiiiiig wiiiiiiiide fire road, i've done that. but single / double track, on a moooorsicle, no, i don't see that being a thing that happens.

i can assure you i understand what on-the-fly navigation is. normally it starts out looking cool, then somebody has to call an ambulance/wrecker. just watching the screen is fine, we all do that. start messing with buttons on single/double track, and somebody is gonna be in a world of hurt.

unless we're talking about a buggy with 5 point harnesses and roll cages. ;-)
  15. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did I miss it? I didn't see your iPad mounted on your handelbars.
    Reddog* likes this.
  16. PoleRbear

PoleRbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for telling us what to think...
    EmmEff and rider911 like this.
  17. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think what you want, I'm telling what I think. Its called having an opinion. If you don't like my opinion, fine. BTW This is a thread for people interested in the Garmin 276cx.
    The Lemming and Reddog* like this.
  18. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure in his mind
    = proselytize smart phones to people who don't see the light...
  19. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Was that an "opinion"? Id like to see an example of you stating a fact.

Thats a serious level of arrogance! You have seen a teenager using a smartphone haven't you :rofl
    The secret of using a touch screen on rough ground is to have something to rest your palm on.

I understand there is no point debating with you and anyway @Reddog* only has a few "likes" left in this months allowance.
  20. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May we PLEASE get back to discussing the merits, functionality and shortcomings of the 276CX.

That's the beasty I'm going to be buying again when it performs to my needs of turn warning in time.
    Major_Zero, The Lemming and CLANTECH like this.