Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL.... you don't honestly think you have the ability to affect sales of this product? And/or are just a troll... A silly little smelly troll...

[​IMG]

Good day!
  2. simon crewe

simon crewe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may have misunderstood you! - If you have a 'new' download of CN that you have not linked to an old unit , you can load it on to your new PC and send it to the 276 with mapinstall or basecamp. Downloads are linked to a dedicated unit - micro sd card maps can be used in multiple units.
    Sorry for the confusion.
  3. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok..good that makes sense. Can it be installed onto a 2nd PC like a laptop. Thx

4. simon crewe

simon crewe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may be able to, I am not exactly sure. The are some very knowledgeable guys on the other navigation forums on here that will know.
    I seem to remember some guys run basecamp or their mapping on flash drives out in the field.
    Hope you get it all sorted.
  5. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my 276Cx simply stoped booting today, from nowhere, last time I used it 2 weeks ago and today it only shows GARMIN logo when connecting with computer or pushing power button and nothing happens after it, it simply freezes until the battery being removed. With or without memory card...
    Sent to Garmin to check it.
    Mine wasn't from early batch by the way, bought it less then 6 months ago.
  6. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I don't have any particular knowledge to add, but I thought I'd bump your post, as folks are jabbering on about phones
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

of course not, it was sarcasm.

having a GREAT day, thanks!
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

did they send you a replacement?
  9. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I’ve just sent my unit to check what’s wrong with, now waiting to hear from them, I still have faith in this model and that Garmin will take their shit together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eltjo likes this.
  10. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was this an early unit? Is there any indication of improvements made to recent production units ? Can we tell by serial#? Most of the problems I've heard of seem to revolve around software issues rather than hardware.
  11. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't even have mine yet (hopefully today), but I've got faith I'll like it when it gets here. I however have a very low bar for it to be a success. Simply looking for an improvement over my aging fleet of 276/376/478's. It must lock in fast, and hold fix in heavy tree cover. Store hundreds of tracks, bright screen, good battery life is a plus for emergency ( mine are always hardwired), and must be reliable.

For Off Road use, Really thats all you need if you use a GPS the proper way (IMO) as a replacement for a paper map with roads/trails hi-lighted. What could be easier, and more relaxing, than following a Cyan colored line. Listening to a GPS bark orders for where and when to turn has never been for me, and frankly is a distraction to paying attention to REAL routes roads and trails.
    petdav, empedrado and SpeedyR like this.
  12. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%. If I'm on the road/pavement, more than likely I'm using Waze on my phone as I like heads up to things I need to pay attention to when driving. But for my use, replacing my 276c, I always have used tracks in the past so I can just see what direction to turn as I come to a trail head. I don't need it to tell me where to go i just want a visible double check on direction of travel, as well as keep a history of where I've been if I'm out exploring for future reference.

my existing 276c must have some antenna issues, it won't keep much track when i"m in the woods these days, and I loose sections pretty regularly. Plus I want the powered AMPS mount.

I'd appreciate your feedback on how it works for you for your needs.
  13. HTSRocker

HTSRocker amateur

Oddometer:
    When I was leaving for my trip last week, I failed to change the next turn pop-up, and left it in the off position. The routes worked fine and the info on the top left corner did give me accurate distances to the next turn. When using Tracks it was a snap to have the GPS Navigate the Tracks.
    Maybe during the week, I can try set up a short route and turn on the Pop-Up.
    Again, the Unit does what I expect it to do and does it well.
    grisen likes this.
  14. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with garmin. Had some questions about installing CN to my new computer, so I can work without having to plug the GPS in. Come to find out there is no way to get it on the PC, unless I use one of my old CD's from a 5 yr old version of CN.

Any way I discovered something I did not know. You can buy a 276cx from garmin with preloaded lifetime upgradable CN maps. Its 100 more$ but If I'd known that probably would have gone that route.
  15. Tork

Tork Aluminum Cigar Stuffer

Oddometer:
    It is the auto motive bundle , probably the one I am going to pick up . Will need it before next summer I am hoping the firmware will get updated and price will go down before then .
  16. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do I install CN to my computor? I do not want to have to connect my 276cx every time I want to work in Basecamp. Tech guy from Garmin tells me only way is connecting device.
  17. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    How PC savvy are you?

If you create a virtual removable device and copy the images to it basecramp works fine with any maps (.img) files you have without the unit... I've got at least a dozen supported this way...
    grisen likes this.
  18. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Cant say what it will do on a 276CX, but on my car 2689 there is an option in I believe Garmin Express that allows transfer of the maps from the GPS to the PC.

Update: Google it and you come up with this
    Lobby likes this.
  19. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen this work around Javawa I believe. Am fairly PC savvy, I would say last resort I'll try it. What I am going to try and do is just install an old version of CN that I have on disc (CD). The unlock code is note seeming to work, but it is registered with garmin. So tech support may be able to help me load it. If not I may try the Javawa if you hold my hand thru it.:lol3
  20. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once you've created the virtual removable disk - it must be "removable disk" and not a "local disk" as this is what it appears that basecramp looks for when looking for devices - the rest is super easy. Create a \garmin directory on the virtual drive and anytime you have a new .img (map), just copy it to the \garmin directory! You may need to make it "visible in BC" in javawa depending on the map (you have to do this whether on the virtual drive or the unit). Works good lasts long - I *never* plug the unit in to BC....