Garmin announces the new GPSMAP 276Cx

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mattebox, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer:
    Best I can tell, the auto kit has a speaker in the cradle but there is a bare cradle to use with the
    RAM accessories.

:ear
  2. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer:
    Do both old and new units have the same data set to render each refresh?
  3. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OSM map of spain downloaded mid december. Same IMG file loaded in both devices, highest detail (or the most, I've changed languages several times and I don't remember the exact word in the device/language), same map configuration.
    Maybe you can see the 276Cx is one step zoomed in than the 278 to match the data show in the screen as the 276Cx's screen is larger. I did this in order to make the comparison as even as possible. So both processors have to deal with the same amount of data to compute.
    But this, actually puts the twelve years old 278 in disadvantage as it had to keep showing the POIs and detail one more zoom step.
    DonM likes this.
  4. giannis1070

giannis1070 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Pepe. The performance is poor, not only in searching / browsing in the map, but also while navigating a route.
    I experienced 150euro smartphones with much better performance than 276cx while navigating with google maps, sygic etc.
    I cannot understand why Garmin, such a big company with tradition in gps devices, makes mistakes like this.

However, the overall operational lag of the device, can be considered subjective to user's taste. For instance, I use 276cx for track navigation during off road adventures with my baby (ktm990adve :D ), while I 'll never use it for city navigation. I have sygic/google maps for this.

I have to recognize though that, the big screen, the ability to maintain a strong gps signal at all times, the perfect screen brightness at all conditions and the buttons existence, are the strongest advantages that assist me while off road track navigation.

A good device, but not for 750 euro which costs in Greece.

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
    thumpididump, chris_sav, DonM and 3 others like this.
  5. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus

Oddometer:
    Touratech USA has the Locking Mounts for the 276Cx in stock, as of today.
    Tork likes this.
  6. Stromberg

Stromberg n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    I wrote almost a year ago that i had returned my 276cx because of the position lag. I went with a Zumo 595 instead. That was the biggest mistake i have ever done, the screen is the worst unit i used in sunlight. Everything is so washed out on the screen, and when navigating a route i couldent levas and join it as i wanted. So i went back to my Montana.
    Last week i sent my Zumo 595 (RMA) unit back to Garmin and exhanged it for a 276cx. Im so happy to see the improvements of the firmware. Im now a happy 276cx owner again :clap
    giannis1070, RonKZ650 and Tork like this.
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have City Navigator installed on the 276cx, how much topo do you think you could reasonably put on there? Would it hold 2 or 3 regions of the 24k Topo? I know some previous units, like my 478, had some hard limits on the number of topo areas that could be on the SD card, regardless of size.
  8. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know the answer for the 276cx (my 60 was about 2025 tiles), but the newer CN tiles cover a much larger area so fewer are used. Topo still seems to use a lot of tiles for the same area.

Bruce
    Bayner likes this.
  9. Karlten

Karlten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would not bother mate. It has a nice screen but not much else.
    Pairing to your phone needs the app
    Weather forecast needs the app
    Redraw time sux and it doesn't like raster maps either. Grrrrrr
    And if like me you use it on a boat, check out the compass page and set it to cdi. The best off track error calculation is 0.25miles per dot. Hahaha! It was the same on units OVER 10 YEARS AGO. So much for a legend and updated software. You try getting near a harbour entrance in poor viz with this 'brick':becca:baldy:fpalm
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

If you start with an "@"usernamehere you can tag people in posts now.
  11. bEnt_bars

bEnt_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went to order one up and... now out of stock as of today...
  12. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus

Oddometer:
    I watched the youtube video. I have a 478 with the 2gig card from some Russion Missile :rofl

Riding in Europe, with a bunch of countries loaded in (close to 2 gig) my 478 is much slower than the new 276cX

Another thing why are the majority of the POI's not turned off on the 276cX. That speeds things up on my 478
  13. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    The topo and OSM maps can go on the SD card, so no practical memory limitation. I have CNNA, one full 24k topo, OSM of the Western US, OSM of the majority of Europe and Mexico OSM. That is about 2721 tiles. There may be a limit to the number of tiles, but I do not know what that limit is, I have not hit it yet.

I will install a second set of full topo maps and see what happens.

Keep in mind that when you load the GPS up with a whole pile of different maps the bootup time suffers.

Update: I now have in my 276CX (as an experiment):
    Worldwide DEM base map
    CNNA 2019.10
    OSM, most of Europe
    Topo 24k Southwest
    CN Europe 2018.20
    Topo 24k North Central
    OSM US, Western Half.

I can not check how many tiles, Mapsource crashes with this many tiles. It is well over 5400. The SD card is loaded with 12GB of map data.

KP
  14. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks for checking that out. In addition to the CNNA, I would think that I'd want 24k West and 24k SW, and that covers pretty much any territory I can reasonably get to. Bummer about Mapsource though. I wish Garmin hadn't abandoned it.
  15. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it can all be done in the 276CX. I still use mapsource for all my planning and when done I import into BaseCamp to get it into the GPS. Any updates all go thru Mapsource. I have really tried to use Basecamp, but I just can't be as productive as in Mapsource.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  16. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Rereading your response and to clarify: I described only that Mapsource crashes when you select too many tiles (>3000??). It is strictly hypothetical, no reason to do so. You load the maps with "MapInstall". That works fine to download whatever and as many maps you want on your 276CX. You can have all the maps you want with MapSource, you only use one ta a time when routing. No reason to select tiles at all and no resultant crashes.
  17. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uers get notifications when their messages are quoted, no tags needed. Unless you are blocked, ignored or whatever.
    I didn't expect a reply anyway.

I thought about buying the 2Gb card for my 278, but I found a way to access the internal memory, so no need to buy the card.
    Take a look to this thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/new-life-for-garmin-278-378-478.761204/
    You might need some further google searches but it works.

I know hiding POIs and map detail speeds up the device (that works for the 278 too ;-) ). The point of that video was to show that a 12 years old device works better than the 276Cx even if working under the same conditions. But no matter what settings you use the lags are noticeable and the feeling of sluggishness is quite disappointing.
    Considering those are electronic devices, twelve years ago is like talking about the triassic in a geologic time scale.
    If you have any twelve years old (consummer based) computer, laptop or phone at home, please try to play a 4k video or just browse google maps.
    ohgood, PoleRbear and giannis1070 like this.
  18. Ducky 149

Ducky 149 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my 276Cx the other day and have been fiddling with it. It is replacing my 478 that went tits up during an internal batt replacement. I don’t ride any off road to speak. So far the on road stuff looks like it will be just fine. It did route me a bit of a wonky way to an appt, but I think I need to play with the routing parameters still. I got,the auto bundle from GPSstore on eBay. Can’t complain at all. Sold off some 478 accessories and the corpse and applied the PayPal to the new one. Easy Peasy!! BTW I am primarily an LD rider so this unit looks fine to me.
    Bill 310 and RonKZ650 like this.
  19. Integralle

Integralle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if mentioned before but someboday can tell me how to do bigger the numbers of the zoom? (120mts, 200mts, 300 mts, etc etc)
  20. Karlten

Karlten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fek
    When I try to look up a city it takes forever.
    You have time to cook breakfast by the time it finds it. more and more uselessness.
    PoleRbear likes this.