1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Basecamp

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by raywilson, Sep 24, 2018.

1. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many of you out there want to take a big lead pipe to Basecamp. I hope it's not just me. It's the clunkiest most illogical platform I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    x32792, Gaazz!!, TRoberts and 2 others like this.
  2. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a couple years I tried to use it and gave up, then I finally figured it out and found out how powerful it can be and how you can really plan detailed routes to upload to your Garmin. It is definitely not intuitive or easy to use until you really figure it out. Even then there are some issues and quirks but there is a lot of power. It’s not at all like Google as far as just getting a route or directions from point A to point B, but if you want to get from point A to point B and take specific roads and go to specific stops, etc. it does much more than most programs can. I do understand the frustration it can bring. I’ve taught a few people how to use it and it takes that “aha” moment to finally figure it all out and decide it’s not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Snake Oiler and Macho Man2 like this.
  3. Wind Junky

Wind Junky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree and had no aha moment so I was introduced to Furkot. It is MUCH easier to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NorskieRider, ohgood and MarkM like this.
  4. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to second what you just posted it is not intuitive or easy to use until you figure it out. I tried using it and got frustrated with it and like raywilson said wanted to take a big lead pipe to it, until a friend of mine who knows it well schooled me on how to use it. I love being able to use Basecamp to make my routes to my destination interesting with curvy roads and attractions.
  5. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i spent hours trying to get a route to work through specific given way points .Finally figured it out.I also liek that you can update maps etc through basecamp and that you can sort and file all your data,and do regular backups .I like being able to look back on trips etc and have geotagged pics etc
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. MarkM

MarkM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll use Basecamp for reviewing routes and detailed editing, especially for GPS files I get from others. But as a trip planner Furkot is far superior and it's easier to use.
    NorskieRider likes this.
  7. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Is there an idiots guide to Basecamp?
    Wind Junky likes this.
  8. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    a) learn the shortcuts (h handtool, r route, etc...)
    b) always route coarsely, then 'insert' via points in the direction of the trip. It is amazingly fast and convenient.
    c) keep your left hand on ctrl-z (undo) while routing.

don't think you can use it without a mouse... frack touch screens.
    in the end, it's a whole lot better than anything I've used, including google maps.

It's the map data that sucks. unpaved is paved, paved is unpaved, road is trail, trail is road.... needs levels of dirt roads...
  9. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was one of several videos that helped me understand Basecamp better.

Wind Junky likes this.
  10. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    I use it from time to time, but every time I have to reteach myself what I learned before. But I do agree it can be a great tool. Most of the time I have Basecamp running on my laptop with Google Earth on my tablet to try to find the trails dirt roads etc for hidden treasures. And if you can get a buddy to be there it's twice as fast and you don't get burnt out as fast with it.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Basecamp quite a bit and have learned how to do what I need to do with it. I really like the way you can use the internal database to easily create custom views of past rides.
    I normally use Mapsource for hard core track editing and to get a quick look at a single old trip.

I have tried to learn and use Furkot a few times. But it just doesn't offer enough advantages over Basecamp for my type of trip planning to justify the effort to really learn it.

I use custom maps a lot, (kmz files). And Basecamp handles these well. It also has a good interface to the Montana I use for navigation.

I do refuse to upgrade to the latest version since I understand it eliminated to direct interface to Google Earth, which I use a lot.
  12. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is probably my biggest issue with Basecamp. It's so unintuitive that I find myself trying to relearn how I did something the last time I used it.

A lot of supporters state that "It's easy, I use it all the time." Fine.
    The thing is, I don't use routing programs all the time. I got tired of spending more time relearning how to plan a route on Basecamp after being away from it for a while than, it seems, I spent riding it. :hmmmmm

It bothers me because I have no similar retention problems with the numerous other programs that I use for my home and business.

Well, I've been doing fine without it so, lead pipe aside, my biggest regret is that I wish I could get back all those hours...and there were a lot of them...that I spent learning it. :-)
    Gaazz!! and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    It sucks. I used MS Streets & Trips for years. Actually bought two versions. Wish it coulda just pumped out a GPX.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i picked a randon map to download, install, and plot a 1,000 km route across.

Screenshot_2018-09-25-10-38-13.png Screenshot_2018-09-25-10-37-46.png

three minutes to down load/install (over WiFi) 900mb map of Cambodia (which is free) or whatever area map

thirty seconds to plot a 1,000km route

five seconds to edit said route (without having to plug into a computer to do it)

five seconds to share said edited route with all the Bluetooth /WiFi devices around me

Basecamp is great. it gives people something to do on long rainy weekends. or when their bike is broken for a couple weeks. i know most of the happy pictures on adv show people holding up their laptops at the top of a mountain, celebrating Basecamp for having gotten them there. the sweet loving posts just go on and on about Basecamp.

oh wait, no, that's beer. beer is the exact opposite of Basecamp.
    Menhir likes this.
  15. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basecamp was one of the reasons I didn't buy another Garmin, and I was rather proficient with Basecamp, having used it for 10+ years. But when furkot and kurviger and osmand came along, I quickly moved away from Basecamp, and I'm not going back.
    Wind Junky likes this.
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I've always found Basecamp quite intuitive and easy to use, so wondered for years why so many people complain about it. Then I tried to show my dad how to do something in it on his PC laptop and discovered the reason: the PC version of Basecamp is terrible, and completely different from the Mac version I've been using for years.

So for those of you with access to a Mac, try using Basecamp on there instead and you might find yourself cursing at it a lot less.

That said, I have friends who use the PC version very successfully; they tell me you just have to get used to its quirks and learn where to find certain tools/functionality.

Why Garmin maintains two separate, different codebases for Basecamp is a mystery to me.

--mark
  17. Wind Junky

Wind Junky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL
  18. Wind Junky

Wind Junky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, NorskieRider which do you use most frequently and why? To your knowledge, do these apps do everything that Basecamp does? Thanks. I'm trying to decide if I will commit lots of time trying yo try Basecamp again.
  19. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mac version better? No way. My friend who is a complete noob at computers and worse on garmin or basecamp, is on a mac version. I went to his place to give him a course and ... oh shit, everything is wrong! I can't recall exactly, but lots of features are not even there.

The pc version is certainly more complete, if not more intuitive. I believe however that users are confusing intuitive with a lot less functions to deal with.

I think I will make a video tutorial too, it is not conceivable that people find it hard to use. It's a charm. They must be taking it with the wrong angle...
    raywilson likes this.
  20. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Mac version of Basecamp and would love to learn how to use it. One thing I haven't figured out is how to get a "fresh" map. When I bring it up it shows every route I've attempted to do. It looks like a spaghetti diagram.

I just routed a trip from Burlington, Vt to Georgetown, Ontario. I wanted to take the 407ETR to bypass the 401 through Toronto and it didn't show on the map in Basecamp. I did a search in Basecamp under very conceivable string and it couldn't find it. I went ahead and downloaded it to my Zumo 590 and, low and behold, it actually directed me via the 407.