1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin eMap Wiring

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jschnitz, Oct 8, 2002.

1. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have one of these Garmin eMaps. I wanted to wire it up to the bike for power. the problem is it does not take a full 12 volts. So it has some gadget in the normal plug wire to pull the voltage down.

Is there any power source on the GS that can go to the eMap (clock)?

Has anyone wired one of these up before on the GS?

Any suggestions would be great. :ear

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
  3. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one of those cabels. now I just want to direct wire it in. In other words not needing that big old honking CIG lighter adapter.
    I also want to try to perseve the CIG adapter so I can use it again in the car.

So is there a less that 12volt tap on the bike that I can hit. I wish I could remeber the voltage off the top of my head.

Thanks,
    Jason
  4. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    buy another cable and tear it apart. mount the doodad that drops the voltage (resistor?) inline and hardwire it to the bike.

Garmin is pretty free with info on the GPS'
  5. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    You can buy an eMap power cable for $20 from:

Blue Hills

The eMap runs on 3 volts, you can't hook it up direct, you need to start with a power cord made to do this. Ain't no where on the bike where you are going to find regulated 3 volts. And don't touch the RID - you can make a very expensive mistake.

If you don't have an accessory plug, buy the kit and put it on, then buy a BMW/John Deer to Cigarette Lighter adapter (all dealers sell them) and quit while you are ahead.

Also, remember that the eMap isn't water proof at all and it doesn't like heat. The MCN article of old that said you could put one in your map case and not even buy a mount was pure bullshit. I tried it on a cool day (70) and it got so hot in my map case that it kept on flaking out. If you got a GS get a GPSV or SPIII. They run direct on 12VDC and are water proof.
  6. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    I've got an eMap that I have just kept feeding a constant stream of batteries so far. I eventually intend to mount a power cable into the bike so I don't go broke on double A's.

I would think you could buy the $20 power cord, cannibalize it, and hard wire it into any 12V power source on the bike. At least that has been my plan.

Then again, PhilSpace's idea to just install another cigarette lighter adaptor somewhere on the bike is good too so you can easily take the wiring off when you aren't using it, or when you sell the bike. All you leave behind is a $4 cigarette lighter adapter.
  7. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the electronic "blob" apart on the cable and wired in a BMW accessory plug. I can now plug it in directly to the power inside my bmw electrified tank bag. I bundled the extra cable together, so it is not as unwieldy as before. You could do the same thing and wire direct, as suggested in an earlier post.
  8. cbmwgs

cbmwgs Retired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been using an emap on my GS for 3 years using the power cord supplied. I have electrified my Marsee 20L tank bag and just plug in the emap inside the tank bag. Ran the cord up through the map holder and attach to the emap. I have encountered no problems and have been in some pretty good rain storms.
  9. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    The Garmin Emap runs on 3 volts as do most of the Garmin GPS's, however most GPs's have the step down transformer built in to the unit so you can hit it with 12 volts. The Emap was designed to be slim and easy to carry in your pocket, so they left out the transformer and put it in the cig adapter plug. I ran the Emap on my RT just fine for the last 12ooo miles, using the SaengTA mount with no problems. I did like mentioned above, electrified my tank bag and plugged the bag into the BMW 12 volt socket. The Emap needs two AA batteries ( 3 volts total) installed to work on the adapter and it eats batteries even when turned off, so I have to flip one over at the end of each ride to preserve them. Check the Touratech page http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/navigation.lasso?TopCat=Navigation&SubCat=GPS_Mounts
    The Touratech mount has the step down transformer built right in. Looks pretty slick.