Garmin European map question

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by artbone, Aug 12, 2011.

1. artbone

artbone Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of downloading a European map from Garmin to my Zumo 550, not realizing I wouldn't be able to put the map in MapSource and use it to plan trips, lay out ruetes routes, etc.

Does anyone know how I could download the map from the chip to my MapSource?
  2. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Try downloading it again and look for an options button. Choose install to computer. If you bought the card from Garmin, you'll have to use BaseCamp (free download) and you'll only be able to use the maps when the GPS is connected to the computer.
  3. artbone

Oddometer:
    Actually if I can connect the GPS to the computer and plan routes etc that would solve my problems. I'll look for BaseCamp.
    Thanks Steve
  4. artbone

Oddometer:
    Well, actually it didn't solve my problem. I borrowed a friend's 550 (I'm in Mexico and my 550 is in the US) and put the chip in the borrowed unit. When I hooked it to the computer the first time everything seemed to work but as soon as I shut the unit down and started it again I got a message that the maps can't be unlocked. :puke1

I put my chip in a USB adopter and made several waypoints in BaseCamp and transferred them to the GPS but all I have is the Garmin World Map which is not detailed at all. Many of the waypoints appear to be in blank areas of the map with no roads connecting.

Will Garmin let me register my borrowed GPS as my own and then use the chip with the downloaded map or is there another work-around? I really want to have a good map for riding around in big cities in Italy.
  5. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you bought the map via download and installed it on your own card..... Correct? If so, the map is usable on your original Zumo only. It's locked to that unit forever, no transfers possible.

If you had bought a pre-loaded card from Garmin it would work in any unit that accepts data cards but it will only show up in BaseCamp when a GPS with the card installed is connected to the computer. No computer only map installation possible.

This is why most insist on a DVD purchase.

Send Garmin Customer Support an email or better yet phone if possible. Explain your plight and if you get the right person, well sometimes a truthful tale of woe can get you a deal, if not total satisfaction. The downside is, if you get the wrong person, they will not have a clue as to what you're talking about. Good luck.
  6. artbone

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve. I'll try that.