Garmin GPS 60csx repair question

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Rusty Rocket, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I just had a prong break off inside the plug socket that allows powering the unit with the motorcycle. (the large round one with 4 )
    Has anyone ever repaired one like that?

Will the unit run off the mini usb port if I plug that wire into the bike?
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had to repair that connector, but I used to have to pull the back of mine regularly to clean and rebend the spring contacts between the power board and he main board.

If it were me I would take a look at the back end of that connector and seen if I could move the power wire from the broken pin to one of the other pins.
    I think two of the pins are used to implement a rs232 interface. Or maybe you could find a replacement connector somewhere. I would start with GPS City.

You could probably use the USB connector to power the unit too, for a while. I have never really done it on the bike. The general consensus here seems to be that the USB connector will not hold up to the beating from hard riding for very long.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  3. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Yes it will run from mini usb.

It’s not as water tight as the 4 pin with the rubber seal.

But you probably realize that.

Also I’ve seen other posts complaining that the constant vibration ruined their USB port on Garmin.
    Once that’s done you lose abilities to transfer to/from your computer.

I think I’d pursue repair of the 4 pin power just to be safe.

I have 2 - 60CSx and 1 - 60cs we use all the time. I much prefer those with button interface than the touch screen newer ones. We can navigate with gloves on.

It’s worth the repair in my opinion.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest getting a good set of NiMH batteries rather than using the USB for power if the rear port can't be repaired.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  5. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for all the comments. I hadn't thought about ruining the mini usb with vibration and losing the ability to transfer tracks.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the other 2 posts (besides the pos/neg ones) are connected to, if anything? I was thinking about a "jumper" from the broken pin seat to one of the unused pins and wiring the plug differently, but if there's something connected to those other 2 posts, I might fry something.

It's starting to look like I have a battery only unit. I am gonna scour the web for parts or try to make a mini spring plunger in the plug to contact the base left in the bottom of the socket. 50/50 chance of breaking a meaningful pin and I get the worst outcome. Just my luck
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I noted above I believe the other two pins are used for a serial rs232 interface to a computer. If you aren't using them, I would go ahead and sacrifice one of them.

My belief is based on the fact that we used use those pins on Garmin III+ units to communicate with a computer via a serial port.
  8. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:
    Wbbnm is correct. 2 wires for data communication.

If your 4 pin plug is like mine, it has 4 wires in harness. I think (from memory) you use the red and black wires for 12v power.

I’m thinking you might be able to cut the wires from data pins (inside unit) and then possibly physically swap pins in the plug. But if you can’t swap the actual pin then I would think you could just solder power lead to another pin and use that wire in plug.

This is all assuming the back of pins can be soldered to? And not some sort of ribbon connection?

Good Soldering skills needed

If you open it unit, post some pics of it. Might be good info for us in future.
  9. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    This site has a pretty good photo (step 6) of the unit. To my untrained eye, it looks like the pins are molded into the back.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Garmin+GPSmap+60CSx+Screen+Replacement/108524

[​IMG]
    I'd love to find a unit with a smashed screen on ebay to salvage a back piece
  10. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:
    I think you are correct!
    I studied the pics:
    To me it looks like the 4 pin circuit is molded into the rear cover somehow crossing over and tying into the usb plug which looks like it has 4 contact pins to the main board.

Also agree I think your best fix is find a broken unit to scavenge the rear cover.
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rusty Rocket likes this.