1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx - As good for road use as "the others"?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by LasseNC, Mar 23, 2010.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Noone listens to us Marcoue!

As we both said, while the 60 series essentially does everything the [more road orientated] others do, there is a reason people choose 26** series Streetpilots and Zumos - not least because they come with a full map set for whichever reason you buy...

Personally, I still favor the 26** series for the combination of intuitive use, large [touch] screen and customisable data fields/info available on the screen at the same time... and yes, you can even plug her into your earphones if you like!

J xx
  2. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    Did you all who have the 60 buy additional maps? If so, which ones did you buy? Are the maps wed to the GPS? In other words, if you were to buy a different GPS, would you have to rebuy the maps?
  3. Joerg

Joerg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certainly not. As an example, the GPS 60 cannot even load any maps, but all GPSmap models can ... scnr ... :evil

As far as Garmin maps are concerned, yes.

Of course you could get OSM maps, these are Free.
  4. bigborefan

Oddometer:
    This GPS stuff is too confusing. The Garmin tech rep told me to buy the 24K Topos, at $129.00 a pop. He said they load on a microSD card in the GPSMap 60CSx. He told me I could load the maps into Mapsource, lay out my route, and then transfer it to GPS, which is what I want to be able to do.

I want to have a map on my PC that I can lay out routes, then transfer them.
    I also want to be able to create a route by riding an area and saving the waypoints.

What am I missing here?
  5. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    So is it not possible to type in an adress on the 60Csx and just go? Or does it have to be plotted in in a premade route from the PC?
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You certainly can, if you have City Navigator maps loaded. It's not as easy to type in the info without a touch screen, but it will do it fine.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You have to load some kind of additional maps to the 60CSx to make it worthwhile.

I would get City Navigator before I bought the 24K topos. There are free topos out there and City Nav will probably do 95% of what you want.

Yes, the latest Garmin maps are locked to one GPS unit by serial number. (Maybe not the 100K topo, but it's probably coming)

For all of the noobs - If you want to be able to search for addresses, find the nearest services, and create routes that actually follow the roads (as opposed to just straight lines between points) you have to get City Navigator maps.
    The Garmin 24K topo will route on roads and trails but I don't know what it has for POI's (points of interest) and I don't know if it can search addresses. Plus it's stupid expensive.

You can load different mapsets and switch between them.

FYI - as you ride an area you are creating a track, not a route. You can also create waypoints as you ride along though.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428626
  8. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I like my 60CSX so much I bought 2 more:lol3 I got one on 2 bikes and my truck:deal
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have loaded 24K topo maps to my 60Cx, from this FREE source:

www.gpsfiledepot.com

No problems with any of them.
  10. bigborefan

Oddometer:
    Thanks TBird, good info.

Thanks Yoss, that is a good site, I just downloaded the IL topo and a quick looks shows promise.
  11. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Must admit that I have gotten confused yet again.

Seems like you have to load a new map everytime you want to do something.

Navitating around Europe, I would need the Euro map AND City Navigater AND a Topo?
  12. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    The Topo is more of a hiking software and has streets on it. Don't know about the difference between Euro and City Nav.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    You can get a European version of City Navigator, like you can get a North America version...

If you buy Garmin's SD card, it comes with the whole map set on it (around 2Gb) if you buy the CD Rom version (using Mapsource to select and upload the maps) you can just choose which countries you need, like you can select the individual States in the US.

Personally, if you are looking for a device to get you around Europe primarily by highway, Garmin's pre-programmed SD card is probably the simplest way (check the prices in the US vs. the UK - you might find it cheaper to buy it once you are in Europe), then you can always take a spare SD card with the other [free download] maps you might want...

However, if you already have/use Mapsource - then the alternative is to just buy the CD Rom of City Navigator Europe, and upload the countries you require, plus your own free maps, all on one card?

J xx

ps. What you won't have [presuming your unit is a US model] is the Europe base amp pre-installed, it will only have North America in it. In reality it makes little difference since with the Maps loaded, they essentially overlay any basemap anyway - it's just if you zoom out a long way, you will find the map detail disappears until you zoom back in again - but when navigating, you are never that far zoomed out anyway - just remember set the display to maximum detail if you are planning on zooming out to get a more general view of an area...
  14. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Just to add to what JMo (& piglet) said: The City Navigator wil be a DVD ROM, not a CD. You will need a DVD drive in your computer. If you buy the maps preloaded on the cards then you won't have the map on your computer for planning in Mapsource. I would get the DVD.
  15. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    The SD cards seems better on the road or? I will always avoid highways.

But it will get me around Europe without much fuss? I don't to spend too much time in front of the PC just to make a route.
  16. tjb3w

tjb3w acorns and poison oak

Oddometer:
    Is anybody familiar with the tomtom rider 13?
  17. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe better to ask this question via starting a new thread for the TomTom Rider 35, this is a Garmin 60 specific thread which has been dead for almost 7 years.

Bruce