Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    So this is why the 62 was being so deeply discounted recently:

Major updates:

• iPhone connectivity
    • Rechargeable or AA battery system
    • Glonass
    • More internal memory

Introducing the GPSMAP 64 Series Updating Popular Outdoor Handheld

Click the title above to go to the site for more information.

"The GPSMAP 64 series boasts a 2.6-inch sunlight-readable transflective color display and a high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver with a quad helix antenna for superior reception. With the addition of GLONASS satellites, the time it takes for the receiver to “lock on” to a position is (on average) approximately 20 percent faster than using GPS alone. This allows users to get their position quickly and precisely even in heavy cover and deep canyon.

Additionally, the 64s adds wireless connectivity for data transfer between other compatible Garmin handhelds and mobile apps, and for Smart Notification technology. With this, users can receive emails, texts and alerts right on the device (when paired with an iPhone 4S and later). This allows users’ smartphones to be safely protected from the elements. "

"All of the devices in the GPSMAP 64 series have a unique dual-battery system, where both standard AA batteries and a rechargeable NiMH battery pack (sold separately) can be used. Plus, all of the GPSMAP 64 devices have internal memory (4GB for 64/64s and 8GB for 64st), and a microSD card slot to store additional data and maps. "

I have no idea yet if they've improved the electrical connection or are relying on mini-usb.
  2. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    Gpscity shows the same car charger as the Oregon or Dakota... Would really be nice if it had a plug like to 60 series, but looking doubtful.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    +1

It looks identical in all other respects to the 62 series. It does have some interesting features, but it won't be of much use to bike riders.
  4. konfucius

konfucius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems to be the same mini-usb connection again, to bad.

The live tracking is a nice feature though, wonder if they will add it to the Montana, Oregon series as well, probably needs a hw update as I don't think there is bt chips in them.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    :scratch
    Very bizarre that Garmin would target this handheld for "Smart Notifications". I guess I'm just out-on-the-fringe but it seems to me that the logical place for this feature is with the On The Road units (or high-end handhelds - Montana/Monterra). Of course the Montana only has proprietary Bluetooth so pairing with an iPhone is out of the question.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just fill in any feature of any new Garmin product.
  7. maden

maden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Has anyone got any time using the gpsmap 64 yet?

I ordered the 64st the other day, and now i stumbled onto some rumors that unlocked city navigator will not run on the device… Guess i just have to wait and see, but any experience you have would be appreciated.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    That would surprise me very much. Where did you read this?

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  9. maden

maden Adventurer

Oddometer:

There was one guy on gpsunderground… And some scattered info. I find it hard to get conclusive answers though. If this is the case, it would seem that garmin is once again making a desperate attempt to reduce piracy.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    What's the date on the GPSunderground post? Garmin did include some code in the previous to last update which checked for map validity but it caused problems with some legitimate maps, so the code was removed in a hastily released update.

11. maden

maden Adventurer

Oddometer:

Aha. I can´t remember the date…

Does not matter anyway as the device is in the mail already. Will just have to wait and see...
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    So, what's the verdict? Is it working for you? There's been so little said about the 64.
  13. maden

maden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you look past the fact that borrowed CN maps will not work, it seems to be a good gps… Guess i have to survive using whatever free maps i can find, while the great guys of software hacking do their job :)
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Just a warning: you won't survive long here if you speak of pirated maps.
  15. maden

maden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noted… Edited my post. Do not see the big problem though…
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

Read the site rules. ADVRider can get into a lot of trouble over it.

Besides, some of us have ethics. I may not like everything Garmin does but I don't feel I need to rob them. They are people too, who deserve to be paid for their labour.

WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  17. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    I upgraded my GPSMAP 62 to the 64S. So far so good. I have used it for hiking but have not yet tried it on the bike.
    It is pretty much exactly the same as the 62. However it can charge the batteries now. Plus has more memory and bluetooth.

Regarding the free maps. You have assumed that free maps are pirated.
    Here in NZ we have some open source maps available.
    These are NOT pirated. They are completely legal and developed by open sourse community. They include routable road maps for the entire country which are updated weekly. Also available are open source topo maps and open source overlays with all of the DOC trails and huts (NZ Department of Conservation - who manage 99% of hiking and mountain trails and huts.)
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    We're all very aware of OSM and other sources of free maps but I didn't "assume" anything.

This is what I commented on: "If you look past the fact that pirated CN maps will not work, it seems to be a good gps… Guess i have to survive using whatever free maps i can find, while the great guys of software hacking do their job :)".

You're probably basing your statement on that person's "revised" text. My quote is what he said in the first place.
  19. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    Yea, sorry. My bad. I will read the post properly before commenting.
  20. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello out there,

I am a little bit confused about the actual difference between the 64s and the 64st. Well, the specs speaks for them selves, but what is the big deal about the topografical map that is preinstalled in the 64st? Can't one just install a topografical map on the 64s, and there you go - same thing!? The reason I ask is, that I think the price difference between the two, are quite big compared to the actual difference between the two models. Is a topographical map really that expensive, or am I completely missing the point?

I kinda like the idea of having a small "multi purpose" device, that I can primarily use for track riding, but I can't decide which to choose.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers!