Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trust me, I've tried turning off tracking. If I do a hike with tracking on it works perfect of course, then I'm done hiking I turn off tracking, turn off the unit, drive home. Even with tracking off, the moment I turn on the unit and move more than 5ft the odometer and trip data instantly jump up adding the miles the unit was moved from A to B while off. It doesn't matter that the tracking was turned off or not. This is a big deal to me as I like to keep a running tally of how far I hike each year.
  2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Have you re-set the unit (Restore Defaults), returning it to its factory default settings? Also, on the page where you reset trip data, there's an option "Reset All Settings". If it doesn't work properly after doing that, I'd be contacting Garmin customer support.
  3. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas. I believe I have it. Tried it like five times and so far so good. All it takes is at every powerup if the unit has been moved, go to trip page and immediately select reset track and trip data. This is simple, but it must be done right away as after a short time while standing still, the unit will think you've moved a few feet and at that time it's too late. If you do any movement with the gps after powerup before resetting, it's too late.
    I really like this unit as it works mostly the same as my old Delorme, but just have to be sure to reset correctly and quickly without accidently moving.
    Sorry for all my bitching, but I was getting pretty frustrated.
  4. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Can you file transfer between a 64s and a different Garmin model? I tried several times while on a ride with my friend, it would start and then fail. Not sure if we were doing something wrong, or just not compatible. Not a huge deal, I didn't eat any dust that day.
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    As long as both have ANT+, it should work. We've transferred tracks and waypoints from Montanas to a 62S, eTrex Touch 35, Oregon and others.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  6. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    It started to work, and then failed. I'm thinking maybe the firmware was out of date on one. As long as I know it is possible, I'll try again on the next ride.
    Thanks
  7. Omegart

Omegart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to adjust recorded track with basecamp? I have the same problem too and it's a little bit annoying (also because I use the unit primary for tracking).
  8. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Yes. You can edit a track in Basecamp, take out bits, join different tracks, or cut a long track up into sections. Basecamp is a powerful program from what I can see. Takes some time to learn the basics, but well worth taking the time to do so. I've really enjoyed making my own tracks, and being able to follow that trackline on the GPS on rides in the country.
    Mikemm likes this.
  9. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
  10. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question on City Navigator maps on the Garmin 64ST. I currently have a 60CSx using MapSource with a lifetime subscription to City Navigator maps. Unit has been great except for the 500 point limit on individual tracks.

If I purchase a newer model (62 on closeout or a 64), can I transfer the CN lifetime subscription to the new GPS or will I need to purchase a new lifetime subscription? I currently can download the updated maps to my computer and then transfer to my GPS. Will this method allow me to transfer the data to a 62 or 64?

Also can the topo feature (lines) be turned off on the 64ST and just show the CN mapping with the tracks I have transferred to it? Will be using the GPS for the Backcountry Discovery Routes. I do want the topo feature but just not for following a track I create or transfer in.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.
  11. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    No, you can't transfer maps or lifetime subscriptions to newer gps units. And I don't think Garmin is still selling Lifetime Map Upgrades for units which don't sell with the LM from new.

And no, you can't transfer existing maps to the newer unit unless you buy a new licence. If you buy your maps on SD, you won't be able to upgrade them, but they won't be locked to only one gps.
  12. nagold252

nagold252 Captain

Oddometer:
    Update! Just back from 2 weeks of off season touring in the Puglia Region of Italy. Mixture of modern highways and ancient cart paths was a navigational challenge. I purchased the current Italy map chip from Garmin and, with the help of Basecamp, saved all my trip waypoints and routes to the Garmin 64. It worked flawlessly even in hopelessly tiny streets of hilltop towns. The refresh speed was amazing for the inevitable "recalculating". It was much better than the Italian in-vehicle GPS despite it being voiceless.