Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I realize this is the "64" thread so what I say might seem off topic, but I think you should get a 78S or a Montana instead if you plan to use this on a motorcycle. Being a Mini USB powered device is one big flaw against the 64 line.

And the ST models tend to have a little more onboard storage space to hold the original Topo maps they come with but it's not a big deal since you can have a 8 or 16 Gb Micro SD card in it to hold all the maps anyway.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Unless there is some compelling reason, look at 78 with 12 V power.

I see no value in "S" electronic barameter but some do.

Most dirt riders in areas with mountains do not like topo maps , just too many lines, go with City Nav.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There's more than just the barometer in the S model. In fact I never use the barometer, but I do appreciate the high speed usb port and wireless transfer in the S models.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said, I see no value in the "S", but some do.
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No, you said you saw no value in the "barameter", as if that's the only difference in the S model.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  6. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you host a lot of rides and you share a lot of files.

Might it be easier to share them wireless with the "S"?

Ever try it?

ac
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No never tried it, just got my first lap top with WiFi and have had nothing but trouble just talking to printers, don't need more complex operations. Only thing it is great for is to talk to my cell phone Internet Connection hot spot anywhere in the house or motorhome.

Question is how many of my customers have WiFi GPS and do they know how to do it? Most of them barely know how to turn On/Off Tracks or move them To/From Archive folder which is where I put them.

Much easier to just plug in my USB cable to any model that walks up and either download to old units from MapSource or copy gpx file to new units. A few hand me a micro SD, new lap top has card slot so very quick.

To be clear, I see no value in electronic Barometer (GPS altitude is fine), electronic Compass (I usually know where North is and GPS finds it with just a little movement), wireless communication (USB cable works fine), or higher speed USB (download takes about 0.5-2.0 seconds, I can wait).
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I don't care one way or another if you see value in this but I hate to see you spread misinformation about something you clearly know nothing about.

The wireless transfer between like units available on the S models has nothing to do with WiFi, so it's not like you would transfer from your WiFi computer to a Garmin gps unless it was the Monterra and we won't go there.

But being able to transfer a file from one gps to another gps without needing a computer is very useful. For instance, one of the last rides I was on, a guy showed up after the organizer's computer was put away and everyone was getting ready to ride. I was able to transfer the track from my Montana to his when we were parked with our engines running, waiting for the signal to go. You don't see any benefit in that?

Another time I was on a ride where I had the track to follow in my gps, but the guy behind me didn't. I was tired of leading the group so I transferred the file to his 62S and he was able to lead from then on.

And with regard to the higher speed USB on the S models - it's not when transferring a track or waypoints that you'll see any benefit, but you will see a big difference when transferring maps or pictures.

So if you stop looking through the wrong side of the telescope for a minute, you might see these as advantages worth an extra $75 or so.
  9. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick response - and further discussion. :D

I have a USB-charger on my bike already, and I am actually used to the fact, that when it starts raining, I pull out the cable from both the USB socket and the GPS unit (I have the cable fixed on the bike, so don't worry about that :D )

So, unless I am still missing the point in realation to the power/charging issue, why should I go for the 78s in stead of the 64s?
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  11. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...and the 78 floats! :lol3

Anyway, Thanks a lot guys. I became a little bit wiser. ;)
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

1 please don't base your opinion of wireless transfers on the crapload of fail that is Windows + Wifi + Printers. windows is terrible at wifi management by itself, let alone trying to get it to talk with other devices. the rest of the world (gps's, phones, production lines, coffeemakers, cars, hell even cameras) handle wifi transfers with ZING and no popup dialogue boxes asking you to update your drivers/antivirus/security. TRY IT please :)

2 you're already specifying they bring xyz model garmin to your event... change it to include wireless models. the first time you're done with all the file pushing in 5 minutes or less you'll toss the laptop in the camper and say good riddance.

3 GREAT! for the 3 guys that won't show up with the wifi model, you can chastise them about "get with the program and upgrade to the wifi model!" and still use the sdcard slot to get their units ready to go. just make sure to nag them about how you would be riding already if they had a better device.

unless garmin has really screwed the pooch with wireless transfers, i'll bet the first time you do it, you'll be done with cables. give it a try at least.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Here are four more advantages to the 64 series. (I hope they come out with a Marine equivalent to the 64. I'd buy one if it had the 4 pin power cable.)

The three 64 models on the left and the 78S on the right.

• There's more onboard storage on the 64.
    • 5000 waypoints on the 64 VS 2000 on the 78/62
    • Smart Notifications on the 64 (connection to smart phones)
    • Live Tracking on the 64

[​IMG]
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    None of this makes any sense to me, but what does an old man know! You seem to be advising on a subject that you know nothing about. To respond to our points:

1 I respect Emmbeedee as one of the three or so experts on this forum who have experience and knowledge with just about every Garmin model. He said that the Garmin wireless only works between units and not between PC & unit, so your comments seem moot.

2 I have no clue what you mean by "change it to include wireless models"? Customers have what they have, nothing I can do about that.

3 I assume you have no clue about events and GPS when formulating your suggestions. Each customer comes to sign up, gives his name, signs a liability release and connects his GPS to my cable. I look at unit and my records to see what Tracks he has paid for and what format of transfer must be used, and start download. I then collect his maps, instructions, & t-shirt. Hand them to rider, unplug his GPS and say "Next". Each transfer takes 1-3 seconds. Don't see any possible way to find a faster process but everything evolves.

On second point, could you explain how you think PC could be eliminated?

On old units, Tracks must be downloaded using MapSource. On new units gpx files with Tracks are downloaded with the file manager. Riders may get up to three sets of 5 available sets of Tracks. It is very complex who gets what and how.

4 Don't know where you got your data that only a small % of units don't have wireless. To keep remotely on topic, I think the 64 does but I have never seen one at a ride. Currently 60-70% of my riders still use a 60/76 (no wireless available). A hand full are showing up with various new generation units that may have wireless but if it is only on the more expensive "S" units, they don't opt for the extra expense. No one has ever mentioned wireless and I suspect have never used it.

5 Again, Embeedee says there is no wireless between PC & unit! What do you know that he doesn't?
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

I suspect ohgood's suggesting you accomodate people with smartphones and tablets to get the tracks through WiFi.
  16. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... I think I will end up going for the 64s. :evil

It may sound a bit weird, but I like the idea of having a GPS unit, which is not too helpful, like a big flatscreen tv in front of me showing 3D images of where I want to go (just to exaggerate a bit). I see so many people relying so much on their GPS, that they stop using their own head - so instead of reading the road signs (for instance), they turn the wrong way because the gps says so.

Off course, it is not exactly the same in an off road situation, and it is not very often that you have roadsigns in the middle of the forrest, but I still think that it will give me just the right amount of information and help for me to enjoy the ride. :lol3

Again, thanks a lot! :clap
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be, it just rambles on and on and not getting to any real point other than wireless is good, and I should use it but nothing about how.

Did I understand you correct that Garmin wireless is not wifi and can't talk to PC?

If there was any demand for smartphones promoters would have to do something but tablets will not be mounted on Dual Sport handlebars, handhelds barley fit. I had ONE customer this year with a smartphone. As best I remember, I offered to e-mail him tracks at sign up but I think he had a micro SD I put them on.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may be for you but curious why the 64?

Please don't tell us because buttons are below the display.
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct. It's Garmin's version of NFC (Near Field Communication) protocol. And since it's Garmin's version it can only communicate with Garmin devices NOT other brand devices using NFC. :huh
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you remember the old III or III+? One of them had a unit to unit cable transfer that no one ever used, I am sure this is the same.

One applications is for your non-digital friends with no e-mail, PC, or, MapSource/BaseCamp (I am more selective about friends). They show up for a group ride and you can give them Tracks with no PC but how hard is it to have lap top to be able to do anything?