Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, I am not telling you (in plurals) that I am choosing it because of the positioning of the buttons, but looking at the specs I reckon the 64 is the right choice? Please tell me why I should not choose the 64?
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most common baseline choices for lots of reasons are the 78 & Montana for dirt bike application. No downside to either, decision is basically touch/buttons and a little different is screen/case size.

These two have very robust power feeds. ALL others have VERY unreliable external power feeds but some other performance feature could over ride choice over most common units.

Buttons below the display is one that many riders have used in past but it is a total non-issue with all buttons above display users.

All the new generation units basically work the some so decision is very subtle.

I would ask you, what feature of the 64 do you find so necessary that you will accept the far less reliable power feed? You may have a very good reason but I have not seen any from the general dirt bike rider.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skomarn, the power source is THE issue. If you're going to use NiMH rechargeables the 64 will work fine. If you're going to power it via mini USB the general consensus is that it's going fail even with unplugging it when encountering wet conditions. The 78 has the robust power connection. The Montana, through its cradle, also has a robust power feed but it is a touch screen device.
    The higher on-board memory and higher waypoint capacity of the 64 are minor points. How far and long are you going without computer access?
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The memory and waypoint abilities are secondary to these in my opinion: The Live Tracking is almost as good as having a Spot unit

Keep Your Fix
    With its quad helix antenna and high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver, GPSMAP 64s locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its location even in thick forest and deep valleys. The advantage is clear — whether you’re under heavy tree cover or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on GPSMAP 64s to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Stay Connected
    Share your great outdoor experience live, just connect your GPSMap 64s to your smartphone and share your position through Live Tracking and Garmin Connect with family and friends. Smart Notification allows you to wirelessly receive email, texts and alerts from your compatible iPhone® 4s or later. Stay fully connected while you keep your precious iPhone stored safely in your backpack.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Live Tracking relies on cell coverage. No go in this neck of the woods, YMMV.

The GLONASS is definitely a step up.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    DAMN, I was just going to say "now that is finally a new feature that is worth something". I was going to ask what are the service fees and to whom? but if it is cell tower communication, it is useless. Kind of obvious, not enough RF power from dry cells to talk to a satellite.

What does GLONASS do for performance? I always thought it was some Russian scam for "openness" or something? If it is just quick and precise, the "x" units work just fine in all he forests and inside buildings I have been in but there may be worse places.

Does the 64 increased precision correct the stupid filtering that makes the 78/62 think it is moving when it is stopped and stop rotating the map?
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Another advantage of the 64, to some people:

GPSMAP 64s supports paperless geocaching with 250,000 preloaded caches with hints and descriptions from Geocaching.com
  8. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well... Let's see if I can get everything included here. :)

How long will I go without computer access: Say approx. 3500km.

What features would make me "ignore" the sketchy power feed: The reason I am not too worried about the power feed, is that I will have the unit mounted/fixed behind the windscreen, and not on the handlebar. I already have the very same solution with my TomTom Rider unit. I made a small cut in the cradle, so I can use the regular USB cable when riding. It has the same power feed as the 64, and it works just fine, even offroad (yes, it works on several gravel roads and forest tracks in Sweden). Is the feed on the 64 made in a bad quality, or is it because it is not a very rugged solution? - which we sure can agree that it is not! :patch

I like the idea of being able to have several routes/tracks lying on the unit at a time (therefore the memory and waypoint abilities) I believe the waypoint abilities applies when you are following tracks, right?

I heard the the GLONASS is a good thing, especially when you are travelling in the northern part of the globe. Is that correct? I live i Denmark and travels a lot in Sweden. It is both northern and pretty damn close to Russia. :lol3

I have looked at the Montana as well, but I kinda like the button feature on the "handheld" ones. I don't want to end up scratching the display too much on the touch screen, when it is dusty or muddy. Is that even an issue? :huh

Last but not least, I am kinda of a gadget freak, so I like the Live Tracking Smart Notifications as well... :shog
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think the Live Tracking and Smart Notifications are useful.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 to everything Emmbeedee said, but your last line is the clincher.

You are more motivated by Bling and high tech gadgets than tried and true conservative approach, so go with 64 connected to smart phone.

Actually traveling alone, the "Live Tracking and Smart Notifications" sounds like a poor man's SPOT but if I only works talking to cell tower, it is more like something for your teen age kid in the city. There is no cell service where I ride. The converse, if there is cell service there are also other people coming along.

If I had someone to watch me, I would have GPS and SPOT. But I don't, so I never ride alone without my Sat Phone. Even within 15 miles of my house there are canyons with no cell service.

On your first point, any of the new generation units have way more memory than you will ever need to store Tracks, Routes, and Waypoints for several years. No Waypoints have nothing to do with Tracks but are slightly related to Routes depending on how you generate your Routes. For what you are doing, stick with Tracks. Routes are very tricky and not for GPS beginners.
  11. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aaaaahhh, Countdown... If I was more motivated by bling and high tech, I don't think I would choose the 64!
  12. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Important comment on the Montana screen, Emmbeedee. That is taken into consideration. :thumb
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stand corrected, motivated somewhere between tech bling and size.

What the hell, go for it all GPS, tracking device for the government spies, entertainment center with XM and Weather, touch screen cell phone control, audio turn warning, and on and on. Might as well impress your riding buddies to the max! That Montana is looking better isn't it?
  14. Skomarn

Skomarn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must say, it is some rather hillarious replies you come up with, Countdown. :oscar

Over and out.
  15. goroka

goroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 60 csx eventually expired after years of being bashed around in the bush. I have replaced it with a 64 s which I used for the first time the other day.

One of the features I liked was the phone notifications - I ride in areas where mobile reception is either patchy or non existent so to be able to receive texts when passing through a reception area seems to work well.

I have noticed that the notifications that came in while I was one the bike did not reappear the next time I turned the GPS on. Thats fine but there is one which was pre loaded - says something about tips for openning notifications but provided no detail. Problem is I cant get ride of it and each time I switch the unit on it shows as a flag on the statelite page. Is there any way to get ride of it?

I have to say that I am really pleased with the 64s. I think that like most things we have to decide what we are going to use the item for - bike, car shoes etc and decide from there. I am getting used to using Base Camp - there are some odd things compared to Mapsource :evil

Cheers
  16. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far this thread about the 64 series is less than helpful. The thing has batteries, if you know the power cable is not waterproof, why wouldn't you unplug it when it starts to rain? Why wouldn't you unplug it when you get to a road that you believe is too rough for the flimsy connection?

If you ride under constant rain and rough trails, you should buy a different model, I think we all get that. But once you've made your point (which you have), do you think perhaps we could move on?

Speaking of which, having just bought a 64S, any recommendations for initial setup?
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I download to hundreds of units at my rides but I have never had a customer with a 64 but since it is similar to the equally undesirable 62 which is functionally equal to the superior 78 the setup is probably similar, so take a look at my setup tips on DualSportWest.com
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Let's try to give setup advice in this thread where we can critique it properly. Sending him to your site is not so helpful.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see it as very helpful with no downside. I provide the information to my customers who use my web site and subscribe to my e-mail list.

If someone is not a customer, they are still welcome to the information free but if they have to go to my web site where they also will be exposed to rides they are probably not aware of.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There is a down side to the ADV site since you're taking people away from here. Might even be against the site rules.

Spam, anyway.

Here's the relevant information from the "How We Roll" Announcement:

No spam.

Vendor posts are permitted to answer questions or provide general information about a product or service. No selling or pimping your product. That goes in Vendors.