Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    :nod

If there is helpful information, please include it in a post here.
  2. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Give us a better idea of what to recommend: is this your first gps? If not, what did you have before? How do you plan to use it? Did you buy maps?

So many questions...
  4. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol. I'm going to start an "undesirables" GPS thread.

I will go look. Thank you.
  5. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Okay, thank you right off the bat.

This is my first GPS. I tried the smartphone route, but the touchscreen is a pain in the ass. And I can't see it in the daylight, and...

Anyway, I plan to use this device for much hiking, 4wding and on the motorcycle.

I have not bought any maps. That is my first question. What is recommended for motorcycle use? City Navigator? Is the a good equivalent through OSM?

Would you recommend something else for hiking? Topos?

Next question: I uploaded gpx track files for some local rides around Vegas that I'm going to go practice on, the AZBDR, and a couple of versions of the CDR route. Now I have a long list of tracks with similar sounding names, and I'm not sure which track goes with which route.
    The question is, how do I organize the tracks? Can I create folders and put each route in a different folder? Or must I upload just the tracks I intend to ride on a given trip, and name them so I recognize them?

Basecamp. Can I download someone else's tracks, import them into basecamp and manipulate them, rename them and then export them to the device? How about creating a track in Basecamp and then exporting it to the device and going and hiking or riding it?

Edited to add: How do I tell how much battery life I have left? There appears to be no indicator and I can't find it in the menus.

If you can help me with some of this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. And by the way, I appreciate the discussion regarding the power cables and suitability of the different units. It's good information to have out there.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have a 64, but alas I don't. Yet. It looks like a great little device.

See responses above.
  7. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Emm! I appreciate the tips. I'll spend some time with it and if I have any specific problems I'll come back.

And if I figure out the battery thing I'll post it.
  8. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    After much fruitless google searching around the internet, I decided to try something radical to find out how to check battery status on my 64s.

I read the manual.

Press the power button once to check device status.

Oh, okay.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the 64 is anything like the 78, the battery gauge does not appear on every page.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    It can be on some pages through Dashboards and in the Trip Computer as a field.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Okay, good stuff! Thanks! That tip about the closest tracks showing at the top is priceless. That would get confusing fast if they keep rearranging themselves and I didn't know why.

So if I create multiple profiles, will each profile have it's own Track Manager (GPX) file?

Could I create a profile for CDRNEWMEXICO, CDRCOLORADO, etc...
    And put the tracks for each state into that profile and change profiles at the border?
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the list changes order as you ride. It is order of starting point proximity.

Never use profiles but I doubt it since they do not show in File Explorer.
  14. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Another question for you guys.

I've downloaded an "OSM generic routable" from here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

As far as I can tell, it's all legal.

This is a pretty detailed map. Would you say that Garmin's City Navigator is worth the money? Does it come with all the POIs like fuel, hotels, food, etc..?

The OSM doesn't appear to have any of that. I think the City Navigator would be worth the money just for the POIs if they are included.

Thanks.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

Profiles are awesome but they have no effect on tracks.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

OSM maps are good and getting better all the time but CNNA has far more POIs in it. I also find CNNA easier to see properly. OSM has a terrain layer which I find annoying and have not found how to turn off.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  17. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    ++++++++

Not to mention the very few POIs in OSM contain almost no detailed info like type of restaurant or phone numbers.

Tried to like OSM but ended up hating it, the money for CNNA is well spent IMO.

Bruce
  18. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and bought CNNA.

Also, a year subscription to the Birdseye satellite thing came with the 64s for free. So I'm going to download all the imagery around anywhere I might go hiking and play with that.
  19. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking, when I am planning a trip in Basecamp, does this process sound about right?

Create a folder, create a file and name them something that identifies the trip.

Either create or choose already existing waypoints to make a route that I want to ride.

Once I get the route exactly as I want it, I have Basecamp make a track from the route.

Transfer it to the 64. Then when I want to ride it (or hike it, I suppose), I go to the beginning of the track and I select "show in map" and follow it.

Does that sound right? If I don't convert it to a track, I assume the GPS might route me differently than the exact route I want to ride, correct?

Also, another question on organization of tracks. Could I buy multiple micro-SDs and load tracks on them and swap out on the road? I don't know that I would want to do that, but is that do-able? Micro-SDs are super cheap now. I'm thinking like this because I don't want to bring a computer on the road.
  20. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Also, is there a way to find the distance between points on the device itself?

Or the length of a track?

Or is this something you must work out ahead of time?

Thanks!