Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question bump.
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 78 which should be similar to the 64 and.....

Yes, you can measure distances on the map page.

Yes, if you select a track and then "view on map" it will show the entire track and the length of the track. Also if a track is selected to navigate I believe you can show the distance to the end point however I'm not sure is the distance is the remaining track length or straight line distance to the end as the crow flies.

Bruce
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bruce I think based on 60/76C units:

No you can not measure "distances", but you can measure from your current location to the location of curser (white pointer).

If you are on a track you are navigating, you can choose all kind of as a data item like distance to end and yes along the track.
  4. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Nobody has commented on the speed of the 64S verses the 60CSX. The folks at Garmin have told me that I will notice a significant improvement in performance...
    regarding scrolling and zooming for all you wise crackers out there.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very few if any owners of 64 out there. Most of the 60 owners bought 62 and found out about the lack of 12 V and now know 78/Montana is only motorcycle choice. To your question I am quite sure all the new generation units (62/64/78/Monatna) are about the same.
  6. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im a 64 owner, but never used a 60/62.. I dont find the speed on the 64 slow, but I cant compare it to anything else.
  7. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    I got my 64S today. It is much faster than my 60CSX, at most detail it zooms and scrolls without any meaningful delay. Whether the power issue is resolvable remains to be seen, but I am 4 hours into a set of regular Energizer max alkaline batteries with the screen at constant full brightness and the battery meter is still at full. I will get some nimh and repeat the experiment before I make a final decision. Also I have ordered a spare port cover, I will try to modify for fitment of a usb extension that will keep it powered and protected.
  8. mbr440

mbr440 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 64s i figured the compass and wireless transfer unit to unit may be worth the extra 60 bucks over the standard 60..Any users out there with some advise?
    This is my second unit .. my Oregon 450 is lost in the bush somewhere... The screen was decent size.. touchscreen was...so so for me I kept leaving way points. Looking forward to the buttons . I debated waiting for the new e trex.. as I think it has a much improved touch screen. I don't want to spend 500-600 on a GPS, my buddy has a Montanna. Nice unit but overkill for dirtbike- dualsport day use in my opinion.
    Battery only is fine by me so the power input is a non issue for me.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I'm not surprised you find it so much faster than the 60. I pick up a 60/76 occasionally just to remind myself how slow they are.

Your 64 has Profiles. They are a really great way to customise the gps so it's perfectly set up for each different application you might need it for. Create different profiles for handheld use, for bike use, for car use etc. Create specific profiles to bring out the best in each different map you might have loaded, if you have more than one.

I have about eight different profiles on my various devices.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I definitely think the wireless transfer is worth it. I was once on a ride where I got tired of leading but I had the track on my gps. I realized that the guy behind me had a 62S, so it was quick work to give him the track and let him lead for a while. Priceless, IMHO.
  11. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the touch screen on the etrex is anything like my edge 510, it would drive me crazy. I prefer the buttons on my 64 over the touch screen on the 510
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I like the touch screen on my Montana a little more than the 78S buttons as the touch screen is much faster when entering text.

Sometimes I use both when I want to compare.

[​IMG]

There are other reasons as well for my Montana preference, but if I couldn't afford the Montana, I'd be perfectly happy with the 78S/64S/62S etc.
  13. mbr440

mbr440 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done..64s soon to be mine.. thanks...
  14. mbr440

mbr440 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I was to do true multi day- week- month rides I would buy the Montana however... I am lucky to get out and try to get lost for an entire day at times.
  15. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    After 7 hours of continuous use with full backlight and spotty satellite reception (inside of an apartment complex), I had 1/2 battery on the meter. I let it rest overnight and started again this morning. The batteries sprang back to 3/4 but 1.5 hours later the device hits me with a low battery warning that reads:

"Batteries too low for full backlight brightness or tones. Use rechargeable NIMH or Lithium batteries too prevent this limiting".

Hmmm. That would probably mean 8 hours of continuous use, not quite a full days riding. I guess it is time to investigate the rechargeable battery options.
    Something I would like to add is that i didnt turn on bluetooth pairing until this morning.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Battery saver mode is useful too. If you're navigating, it'll wake up the screen when you need to see a turn.
  17. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    I didnt realize that. I keep meaning to read the manual.
  18. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have now read the manual. And, I am a bit disappointed, it is not a very thorough manual and the menu is quite a bit different from the 60Cx.
    I am already missing a few things that the 60Cx had. Like the two large and 4 small fields option for the dashboard. And, the highway nav screen. I am beginning to think faster/smoother map scrolling may not have been that important and am wishing I had test ridden it a little while longer before selling my old GPS.
    Back to battery life.
    The alkalines kept running for another 12 hours after the low battery warning for a total of 21 hours.
    I have used some off the shelf Duracell NIMH rated at 2500mah (probably much lower) and they lasted 11 hours full brightness no warnings.
    So, I am figuring one pair of batteries for every day that I will be away from a charger isn't too much to carry. Also, depending on the charge rate of the 64, I might be able to charge the batteries over dinner or lunch etc. and extend their use to two days per pair.

What I need next is a basic dual sport settings recommendation. I keep getting confused by the options on Base Camp (which is also new to me coming from Map Source) and the menus on the GPS.
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Ok, I have now read the manual. And, I am a bit disappointed, it is not a very thorough manual and the menu is quite a bit different from the 60Cx"
    Typical of Garmin manuals unfortunately. Also disappointing is how the firmware seems to be totally reinvented for new models rather than being an evolution. I went from a 60 to a 78 but kept the older one as I feel that they complement each other.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    If you use the Classic profile it'll look a lot like the 60 menu style.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.