Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Emmbeedee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Thread resurrection... I'd like to hear some more conversation from users of the 64 series.

I purchased a 64st to keep on bike as backup to 478. I'm always leading trips and it would be a bummer to go blind on the trail. I like that it will hold a ton of tracks for my most common rides and 5000 waypoints. Also the small size and it's reception/accuracy with the additional GLONASS is impressive.

I see references to the usb power connection not being waterproof in use - can someone point me at some sources for this info? I've googled and can't find any documented cases of failures from water intrusion thru power connection of 62/64.

Regarding powering the 64 on the bike, I bought a Garmin hardwire cord that has the 5v transformer in line and it looks solid. The usb plug is oversized and matched to the size of the hole on the 64 so there is no slop to put stress on the usb connector. I also bought a third party hardwire cord that also fits the socket snugly. Have people had problems with vibration damaging the usb socket with these cords or could it be a case of using a standard usb cord that puts all the stress on the socket?

I did the mod to the little switch in the battery compartment so my Duracell NIMH charge in the unit from the usb.

So far I like the unit. I still need to get City Navigator installed so it could navigate in a pinch.

Moto explorer likes this.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why didn't you get a 78 after all the comments?

Water is not the problem for the crappy mini USB, it will just fail from vibration.

It is the power supple (not a DC transformer) that can't get wet. If it does and stalls, it sends 12 V to 5 V input and you get toast.
  3. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    1. I bought it before I read this thread. Even after reading this thread I question whether some of the issues raised are valid or internet nonsense.

2. Glad to hear water intrusion thru the usb socket is not a problem (I hope this is true). Can you give me examples of documented failures from vibration when the correct usb power cord was being used? Your "crappy usb" comment makes no sense to me. My GXM30 plugs into my 478 via usb and has worked perfectly for thousands of miles on my bikes. Also, the GXM30 usb is far less supported (basically unprotected) where it plugs the 478. If you're using the right power cord for the 64 the stress on the usb socket is almost non-existent.

3. If you're correct and the problem is the 12v to 5v transformer getting wet and shorting then I'm relieved. The oem Garmin motorcycle hardwire cord has the transformer encapsulated in a waterproof "nugget" in-line on the cord, I don't see that being the source of a problem.

I'm wondering if people have tried powering 62/64 with just any old (cigarette?) usb power cords in the past that didn't fit the plug correctly and were not waterproof?

4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. Do you believe men walked on the moon or was that filmed in Hollywood?

2. I think the 62/64 is just like the 60/76 and is totally waterproof. only difference 76 floats and 60 sinks. However don't let it start corroding if it gets wet. I would be happy to document all the cases of mini USB vibration failures. I charge Boeing $100/hr, how many hours do you want me to work on it for you? Understand that failure rate is in units per 1,000 so it really doesn't matter how many cases you know of that didn't fail, there are way too many cases that did fail to not call it an issue. A few riders reported multiple failures. They say it is not "if" it is "when". No USB connector is designed for any vibration they are all for desk top applications and there is no "correct" mini USB, they are all the same. The 62 came out something like 5 years ago so data is in the deep archives but the conclusion is considered common knowledge and sales of them for motorcycles is down to almost nothing. Stress has nothing to do with vibration and fatigue failures (no charge for that).

3. If you know how to use a transformer to convert 12 V DC to 5V DC, get a patient now and get rich. At 12V, you probably would not even need to hermitically seal a transformer.

The rest of the world uses a power converter and in this case is a Buck converter which is a pulse width modulated solid state switch, a commutater diode and an inductor with a feed back comparator to control the % of time of the closed switch. If it stalls closed, smoke! Water is the enemy and yes many people have had failures using cheap cigarette lighter versions. If the power supply is really guaranteed hermetic by the manufacturer all is fine. In any event the whole thing has a small failure rate and if you have deep pockets, then self insuring is probably the cheapest because it may not happen to you (do you believe in fire insurance?). But if money is an issue, I would use a no fail set up.
  5. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    I'm still confused how my GXM30/478 usb interface has survived 8yrs :-)

EmmEff likes this.
  6. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Anyway, here's my setup on the Husky. I'll report back after I've used it a while and let the thread know how it goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ... [​IMG]

7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    ok, there's a bunch going on here, i wanna know:
    what tank bag is that ? (got more pics?)
    whats the round doo-hicky above the 478 ?
    whats the plug under the 478 ?
    whats the white hickey-doo to the left of the speedo ?
    is that a thermometer (analog) in the middle ?
    lastly, is that a thirty year old barcalounger that sleeps like a dream ?
    :)
  8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  9. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you mind posting the p/n of the "Garmin hardwire cord" with the transformer inline and/or the source? Sounds like a good solution.
  10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Oregon 450 is only going to be six years old this spring and it's still going strong powered by USB...
  13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
  14. gjn201

gjn201 Wannabe Ranulph

Oddometer:
    Can you actually see the screen details when it's mounted on the bars? It looks very small.

G.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
  16. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Yes, surprisingly easy to view. Also good in direct sunlight. It's not the gps I would buy for regular use in a car because it's tedious entering an address to navigate to (so is the 478). If you're looking for a street use/road trip unit I'd get a Montana. If you want a compact gps that has buttons and works great for off-road track navigation the 64 is a good choice. And, I'll say again how amazing its satellite reception is. Because it's using US and Russian satellites, the accuracy and how fast it locks your location is amazing. It works inside my house and inside my metal roof/wall detached garage.

This might help someone debating between the 64s and 64st...
    - There's only 2 differences in favor of the 64st - 8gb vs 4gb internal memory - built in US topo maps. The internal memory is not a big deal because you can put a micro SD card in either unit for more storage. My 2cents on the topo maps: To me they add some confusion when riding off-road tracks. Especially in hilly/mountainous terrain because there are topo lines competing with your track. If you turn the topo map off, you loose your basemap of roads. BUT, if you have City Navigator detailed maps installed on the SD card (which you absolutely should) this is a non issue, you'll still have your road detail even with the topo turned off. So.......I will have my topo maps off most of the time but I still like them being there in case you need them.
    - You can of course put topo maps on your 64s micro SD.
    - I'll mention again, the 64 series will not have detailed street maps or route you to a street address until you buy the $60 City Navigator detailed maps (same as a Montana).

GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You failed to mention the most important difference. The 62/64 lack a 12 V power input required for long motorcycle use.

The real choice is between 78 & Montana.

As to screen size, these hand helds have been the standard for using Tracks for dirt bike use for 20 years, but as said above not friendly for touring, auto use especially when you need to type words.
  18. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks DYNOBOB. I ordered and received it and that does look like a good solution. Indeed, the enlarged plastic shoulder of the male plug figs quite snugly into the female recess in the back of the GPS to support it. I think it should work fairly well all things considered. Would appreciate hearing from others who have used this plug in actual ADV use as to how durable/reliable it's been.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  19. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was it his intention of his post to mention it?.. his post is the differences between the 64s and the 64st... not to mention people have REPEATEDLY mentioned it everywhere in this thread and in others.

Lets not forget this is the Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series Thread
  20. gjn201

gjn201 Wannabe Ranulph

Oddometer:
    The battery lasts 8 hours yes? So I'll do what I do now with my phone. Have it running on battery power during the ride, then charge it from a power bank in the evening that I have under the seat charging during the day. Not sure why more people don't do this as it keeps the bars clear of extra wires.

G.