1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin GPSMap 66i compatible maps for Syria & Burma

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by rickypanecatyl, Nov 1, 2019.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I got a new 66i last week and was a bit bummed to find Garmin doesn't haven't any street or outdoor topo maps for either Syria or Burma.

Any ideas for downloadable maps compatible with the 66i? (It does seem to be more "finicky" than my 64 for using local 3rd party maps.)

How about Birds eye imagery?
  2. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Garmin.openstreetmap.nl
    rickypanecatyl likes this.
  3. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Thanks a ton for that Possum! Sorry to bother you with another question but I'm a technotard and have been fighting with getting them on my unit.

I picked the maps I wanted, they sent me a link with the downloads. I got a couple new micro sd cards to put them on but haven't got them to work yet...

Should I not have put all the downloads on 1 card?
    Should I unzip the zipped folders before putting them on the card? (And if so, what is the best way to do that?)

The link they sent me has 10 files - only 4 big ones; since my computer is windows I assume the ones for mac & Linux aren't relevant to me? That small one that says "... also includes MKgmaps used to combine maps looks like it might be important...

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to do this? I feel like a dinosaur asking these probably very simple questions! :)

[​IMG] tiles.txt 962 Contains a list of tile numbers that are used for the maps in this directory.
    [​IMG] osm_generic_new_windows.exe 476M Map installer for BaseCamp/MapSource on the Windows platform.
    [​IMG] osm_generic_new_tiles.zip 480M Compressed file that contains the tiles and overview map. This is useful for applications like Qlandkarte and Linux users.
    [​IMG] osm_generic_new_macosx.zip 472M Map installer for BaseCamp/RoadTrip on the Mac OSX platform.
    [​IMG] osm_generic_new_gmapsupp.zip 455M Compressed file that contains a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS.
    [​IMG] license.txt 1.1K License information for OpenStreetMap. Also contains the Mkgmap version used to combine the maps.
    [​IMG] buildlog.txt 4.1K
    [​IMG] 63240000_license.txt 379 License information for OpenStreetMap. Also contains the Mkgmap version used to combine the maps.
    [​IMG] 63240000.nsi 9.9K Nullsoft Scriptable Installer script used to create the BaseCamp/MapSource installer.
    [​IMG] 2000.typ 14K The Garmin TYP file used for this map.
  4. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    The easiest, i think, is to download the map installer osm_generic_new_windows.exe on to your computer. Run (double click) the .EXE file you get. Windows will first try to reject it as possibly untrustworthy. Ignore that warning. Click on the barely visible link somewhere towards the left, higher up on that caution window. I forgot what exactly that link says. That gets you to a point it will install. That installs the map on your computer and makes it available in Basecamp. From Basecamp you can push the map from Basecamp to your GPS, or use the Garmin Mapinstaller you can download from Garmin.

It is all easy...... once you've done it a few times. The first time it can be a struggle. Good luck, let us know if you need more help.

There is also a way to put the IMG file directly on your GPS, but I can not help you with that. I use the installer method I described.
    rickypanecatyl likes this.
  5. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your help khpossum! I got most of the maps I needed working on the 66i now. It wasn't too easy/straightforward nor did what work seem consistent. But starting with your leads and 4 hours of experimenting I got some good maps working now! :lol3
  6. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Great. Think about how much easier it will go the next time. This was 4 hours well spend. Not only do you have your maps working, you now have a much better understanding how other parts of the process work.