Garmin GPSMAP 66s & 66st

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Lager Meister, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Lager Meister

Lager Meister Work less, ride more

Oddometer:
  2. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    I am in between Montana and this one. Haven't decided, yet. 66 has smaller 3" screen and I cannot find any mounts for it to be installed on a bike.
  3. Dazed Productions

Dazed Productions Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like there are flexible mounts that could easily be adapted. I used plastic cycle clips to mount an oregon. This has options for belt clips and a backpack tether, the bike mount etc. It actually looks like the same mount as an oregon. Depends on how handy you are with that kind of thing of course!
    motolover likes this.
  4. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
    Anybody Have a 66s or 66st yet?
    Any feedback would be appreciated, I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the st version

[​IMG]
  5. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on the power adapters offered this unit does not have the Heavy Duty Power Plug, only mini USB for external power. That is a big no go for me, suggest you consider the 78 instead for that reason.

Bruce
  6. sTE610vE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback Bruce, I will look at that.

One other question, for anyone that can help, I have been wondering is the zoom level that gravel (non paved) roads disappear from the screen on Garmin units? I’ve read the last zoom level that shows them is .8 miles, so about how many miles from the center of the screen to the top edge does that equate too? I like to use a gps to wander and follow interesting roads not navigate a pre laid path on day trip rides into the Flint Hills of eastern Kansas for instance.
  7. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just checked a 78 and 276Cx with CityNavigator loaded and on both units you are correct 0.8 mile zoom level is max for minor dirt roads (with unit detail set to "MOST"). I find CN (despite the name) does an excellent job of showing usable minor dirt roads, often named w/o the excessive clutter of TOPO lines and every last private driveway/farm field access (others will disagree). I believe the max zoom level for all mapped roads/trails is programed into the mapset and therefore varies by mapset. TOPO on the other hand will display minor dirt roads out to 2.0 mile zoom but if there is much in the way of topography the screen becomes to cluttered to be easily viewed. On the small handhelds you are stuck with displaying the contour lines, on the much larger and more expensive 276Cx the contour lines are configurable or can be turned off completely.

On the small screen 78 that equates to 1.3 miles center to side and 2.6 miles center to top for a total area of about 2.6 X 5.2 = 13.5 sq miles.
    On the much larger 276Cx it's 6.6 and 4.0 for a total area of 13.2 X 8.0 = 105.6 sq miles.

In my experience if you are wanting to follow roads/2 track CN is a good choice. It is roads focused with newer data updated 3-4 times a year and with more road names whereas TOPO is more geography oriented so fewer named roads and more infrequent road updates as mountains and drainages don't change much decade to decade. In any event I always carry a detailed paper map as well and mostly use GPS for clarification/situational awareness. I'm a dedicated button guy (hate touch screens offroad) so that limits my GPS choices. IMO the latest GPS (and phone screens) benefit greatly with "always on" full 100% backlighting and that all but requires external power. Mini USB external power is a crapshoot as to failure rate and how soon. The places I ride like Baja require robust durability.

Bruce

PS Also rocking the TE630 here!
  8. sTE610vE

Oddometer:
    I think you just talked me into the 276Cx, if you can turn off the contour lines, which imo are next to useless on a motorcycle, and do clutter the screen too much. So can the contour lines be turned of on the 276cx with both the CN and the TOPO maps? It sounds like I might not want/need TOPO maps if CN shows the minor/gravel roads I'm interested in. I wasn't crazy about the buttons on the 276Cx being on the right hand sided of the unit but I guess that is not a big deal.

So would it be possible to get a screen shot, even if its just a picture taken with a smartphone of the area below on your 276Cx around the small town of Reece Kansas to see how far out the gravel roads are shown? as you can see the white on gray of google maps make them hard to see. You can see the road from Reece that leads to the Matador Cattle Co Spring Creek for example, that is the type of road I would like to see how far out the zoom is and it still shows up. I really appreciate your help, if it is too much hassle to get the screenshot below no problem.
    Thanks again Bruce!

Oh and of course TE630 :beer

upload_2019-1-8_17-2-53.png
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it has a bad f

if you had the option of different themes in those units, it would probably help a lot
    sTE610vE likes this.
  10. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although the 66 and 78 share a similar size screen, I thought this too far off topic for here so I tried to fill your request in the 276Cx thread which can be found 1 level up in Mapping & Navigation or here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-announces-the-new-gpsmap-276cx.1178312/page-95

Bruce
    sTE610vE likes this.
  11. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to bring this back to the 66,,, I have never seen one but per the specs the screen is about 15% larger and with a nice boost in pixels over the 78 and 64. I also note the significant increase in onboard memory and MIL spec. It is clear to me that the intent is to accommodate most map products on the internal memory perhaps for military use??
    Just a shame it only has miniUSB for external power for us moto junkies. Not an issue if only using internal batteries but severely limits the units appeal IMO.

Bruce
  12. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I just got one to replace my trusty but aging and failing Garmin 12Map that has served me well for lo these 20+ years. These new ones are about as close as Garmin gets to the old tall/slim handheld form factor vs, the the little fat and squat tablet types and it just fits my usage and current equipment better. It also has buttons rather than touchscreen and this is easier with gloved hands. I also prefer to use it for route planning and periodic navigation confirmation with the route up in my head from studying it on Google Earth and pull out the GPS to make sure that I'm at the correct waypoint or location rather than having it always visible on the bars.

I spent all day yesterday RTFM'ing and exercising the various maps and downloads, getting the Explore and Connect apps installed on the Android thing, bluetooth pairing and wireless connections setup, etc. Menu sequences and options are largely familiar from my Rhino 120 units with extra stuff for activity devices like smart watches, etc. I don't care about that, I just want the navigation parts ... too much stuff there, it gave me a headache going through it.

I did find out that the 66st is recognized by BaseCamp and will use it to download BirdsEye imagery to both the GPS and the PC at the same time. I have not had the chance to do any live testing, but if it warms up enough this afternoon, I might give it a shot.

No mounts available for it yet except through Garmin and they have yet to get their poop in a group on their website but the accessories shown for the 62/64 appear that they'll fit the 'spine attachment' on the 66s. RAM is saying they'll have one out soon and I signed up for email notification of its availability.

Do you have any specific questions I could answer about it? As I field test it and shake it out for what I want to do, I'll try and grab screen shots and post descriptions about what works and what doesn't ...

Good navigatin' to ya!
    Magus likes this.
  13. Torquemada

Torquemada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RAM Mount Spine Clip Holder was just released. Compatible with all the spine clip based units including the new 66 series:
    https://www.rammount.com/search?que...il&utm_term=0_107887c349-1de80545fa-111300833

I’m very happy with my 66st. I added Garmin 24k Topo but you can get nice OSM maps:
    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

Battery life is much better with Eneloops and a good charger than with Alkalines or the Garmin rechargeable battery.

This is an excellent screen protector:
    ArmorSuit Garmin GPSmap 66s/66st Screen Protector Full Coverage MilitaryShield Anti-Bubble Screen Protector Compatible w Garmin GPSmap 66s/66st - HD Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWGRYC3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eIhACbJS84V10

This is a nice fitting silicone cover:
    TUSITA Case for Garmin GPSMAP 66s 66st - Silicone Protective Cover - Handheld GPS Accessories (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV59FBH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vJhACbCHK5TJE
    Olde Phart likes this.
  14. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    My RAM mounts for the 66st showed up and I'm underwhelmed ... they fit loose (there is no play in the Garmin spine attachment) when snapped into position with about 1/16" of play up and down. No side-to-side looseness that I can detect. Lame!

I have no confidence in this mounting system for motorcycle use off-road, it all feels like it'll go flying off the bars on big hits. It'll probably fail on hitting a good sized pothole when on pavement even. They can do better and I'll ping 'em with my concerns. Stay tuned...

Good expensive electronic device retention to ya!
  15. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck shimming RAM GPS mounts with the small adhesive backed felt pads sold at all hardware stores. I have done this at times for better hold, to prevent abrasion on the GPS unit and to silence buzz/rattling mounts.

Bruce
    Olde Phart likes this.
  16. Torquemada

Torquemada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s disappointing. Haven’t received mine yet. If mine are the same as yours I’ll be letting them know as well.

Thanks

UPDATE
    It was like you said and I filled the empty space on the “wing edges” with some little rubber feet. It made just enough tension it stabilized it better vertically and horizontally. If it takes a decent hit it will still break away and go flying but for what it is it works for me for now. They should come out with a mount with more coverage though.
  17. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Very nice, that may be a pragmatic enough fix, we'll see.

I also got the ArmorSuit protector on with good results. Despite meticulously cleaning the glass, I still had little pieces of stuff that got in around the edges ... makes me wish I had blown out the glass edges with my compressor before application of the protector.

Good wherethefugarewe to ya!
    Torquemada likes this.
  18. gt4point6

gt4point6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the ram mount for my 64ST, and yes it has departed the pattern on numerous occasions off road. The 64 series is one tuff unit.
    Fits loose as you mentioned as well. I use a rubber band to hold it in place and not rattle/buzz.
  19. paranoid56

paranoid56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how are people uploading custom routes? i keep running into the max of 50 errors.