Garmin InReach delayed messaging

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by BigWally, Jul 5, 2020.

1. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Four noobs with InReach Explorer+ are experiencing delayed message delivery (hours). Unsettling since reasonably quick messaging is expected and needed.
    I expected rapid (minutes, since that's the setting on the devices) delivery/receipt of messages, in particular from InReach address to InReach address, ie what I assume is "satellite direct" messaging.
    Is that an invalid assumption?

Not surprised that email or text message delivery might be delayed, due for example to being off-grid. I assume cellular connectivity must be operative for message delivery via those systems.

Garmin has extremely little useful info on their website and no link to contact them directly, hence my query here. Found nothing relevant on Advrider when I searched here prior to this post.

Any insight appreciated.
  2. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once in a while there are system delays but I’ve never noticed any significant issues. Sending or receiving might sometimes have difficulty locking on a satellite due to tree cover, etc. I think this page should show any outages: https://status.inreach.garmin.com/
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @BigWally - Just a follow-up on you post, did you figure out what the issue was? There were no outages for SMS messaging (including inReach to inReach) in the past 90days.
  4. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No but problem hasn’t recurred. Thanks
    DRTBYK likes this.
  5. jfk22

jfk22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was having this problem last year. After several calls to Garmin I found a tech who was willing to look a little deeper and they decided my unit was bad. They sent a replacement unit and the issue has gone away. It's not as immediate as texting but messages get out much faster now.