Garmin InReach Explorer+ Mounting/Carrying Options...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ParleG, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ParleG

ParleG Novice

Oddometer:
    Wanted to hear some thoughts from people with this specific device. I originally wanted to mount the inreach to my motorcycle, but have decided that its wiser to keep it on my body.

How do you guys carry your inreach device? Just stuff it into a jacket pocket? I see there aren't very many mounting options out there. Giant Loop sells a $50 velcro strap for it, but it seems to be just velcro...

Just wanted to hear from some users or if anyone has any good stories on activating the emergency beacon and what the outcome was. Thanks
  2. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around right bicept with elastic straps, face down against jacket, antenna pointing up.
    Allows quickly sending preset with left hand while riding (majority of usages).
    Face down avoids some rare reflexions in mirrors.

If you wonder how it holds: I reused the spot arm band and pouch (now that I joyfully kicked that spot device crap out of my life)
    and laced it in with a shoe lace. But I heard some success stories with walkie talkie holster; I just don't care for getting it out all the time I want to use it (counter productive while on the road...).
  3. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a recent trip. I had mine connected to my shoulder strap of my hydration pack with the carabiner supplied. Didn't get in the way and didn't notice it was there. I have the Giant loop holder as well but have not used it yet.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  4. ParleG

ParleG Novice

Oddometer:
    Is the Giant Loop a quality piece? And I wish I could screw on a solid attachment for a carabiner or something... the one that comes with the device is very easy to slide on and off.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently, I keep my Explorer in my right jacket pocket. But a fellow inmate I know had a better solution: he has a tactical radio holster he attached to the front of this jacket:
    Capture.JPG
    I just need to find one the right size and I'll probably attach it to the straps on my Helite.
  6. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the Giant loop is good quality. I didn't have any issues with my carabiner that was supplied.
    Clicked into the back of the unit and didn't slide out at all.
  7. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My tank bag has an external strap that I hook mine onto. I know you asked about carrying it on your body. I thought about that too. In the end, I decided that if I did get into an accident and couldn't get to it, at least it would continue to broadcast my location. When I didn't check in with the wife, she'd know where to find me.

I also use the tracking function with a map that my wife can see my location with. She's noticed a few times when I've been going faster than she would deem wise...

Chris
  8. greg.279

greg.279 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep mine inside my jacket. I don't want to damage it if I land on it and it's exposed to rocks, dirt, etc. This also helps in cold weather to preserve the battery by keeping it warm.
    32dgrz and AZMtnRider like this.
  9. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here
  10. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    I put my Inreach in a cheap radio holster, $3 or $4 off AliExpress, that I strap to my tank bag when I am somewhere populated. Once I leave the beaten path, I stick the InReach into a jacket pocket. I put it in a lower pocket so hopefully it just bruises something instead of breaking something if I ever crash with it.

Never had a problem with tracking points getting out or messages getting in or out with it in my pocket.
  11. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin has a thing called the Backpack Tether that is compatible with the InReach devices, including the mini. Might be an option depending how you intend to carry.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/114625
  12. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here
  13. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for ideas too, know this is an older thread but hopefully someone has some new ideas. I have a Garmin InReach Explorer and have been using a T-Reign "holster" to strap the device to the shoulder strap of my Klim back pack. The problem is that the device rides high which I can live with, but the shoulder strap won't stay on my shoulder, it keeps sliding off. I don't always wear a jacket so carrying it on the jacket won't work. I do wear armor while riding which makes the device even higher and possibly the shoulder armor is sloped making the weight of the device slide outward. I'm considering having a strap sewed to the top of the Wolfman Enduro tank bag. Any great ideas or suggestions?

IMG_0598.JPEG IMG_0599.JPEG
  14. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have same backpack. during a race i put it on the back on the side vs. the front strap area. if i crash and need to reach it, if i cant get to it i am in bad shape anyway. odds are a crash will be broken limbs and i could get to the inreach to activate.

most of the time though i use a ram mount on the handlebars, because i find myself using the 2 way text a lot when i'm out in middle of nowhere.

i think if you are intending to strap it to the backpack, then it is not worthwhile to get the full size, would be smarter to go with the Mini...
  15. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. I initially put it on the handlebars but it became too cluttered with the Garmin Montana too. The screen is too small for me to follow for navigation while riding so changed to the shoulder strap location. I like it available, on the back of the pack would be okay for emergency, but inconvenient for normal messaging. I'm thinking of mounting it to the top of the Wolfman Enduro tank bag, that may be a decent compromise. I may need a mounting strap sewed on.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 2" strap sewed at the front and rear of the top of the Wolfman Enduro bag. The "holster" hooks around the strap, just like it did with the shoulder strap on the back pack. I think this will work.

IMG_0625.jpg
    Tall Man and ZoomerP like this.