1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin inReach Mini - got one?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by thirsty 1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been working fine for months no problem. Didn’t change a thing.

I was planning to call them tomorrow.
  2. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    As noted. good input

Thanks
  3. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    On May 14 or 15, I checked my contacts on the web page (they were all there and entered correctly), but I did a sync anyway, and SMS (text messages) worked!! On subsequent rides, everything worked correctly. Coords in messages go thru fine. I suspect that Garmin found and fixed a bug that we will never be told about... My wife is very happy now.

PS I can't find the old trouble reports on the new forum site, but I think they will eventually show up.

:ricky
  4. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One advantage of the Explorer and SE+ is that they can be charged while placed in the cradle.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/566397#devices
    cf-lg.jpg
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    The Mini can be charged in a cradle as well.
  6. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention it. Just today I finally tested the device again (first solo ride in a while) and sms are working. I believe Garmin had a day or two without SMS working or something, didn’t change a thing.
  7. Fosters

Fosters Loner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a mini a couple of weeks ago in prep for long cross country trip I am planning on taking...
    Interfaces well with my Garmin Fenix 5X, able to send pre set messages and SOS from watch if ever necessary.
    Actually used the tracking feature today and the Pre set messages to let home base know what was going on...Worked just great.
  8. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I've not yet played with the tracking - I think that will be my next experiment to see how it works. Everything else has been by the book, so not expecting any hiccups.
    Fosters likes this.
  9. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? While maintaining the Waterproof rating or by using the usb plug?
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    The plug. Not waterproof. I suppose that's a drawback, but I'd want to keep it on my person rather than the bike, so it's not a selling point to me one way or another.
    uski likes this.
  11. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Got a mini last week but I keep having BT connection issues with Earthmate on my Pixel 2. Gotta work through that but really like it so far.
  12. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Mini a few weeks ago and ha w used it a few times. I dig it. Pairing with my iPhone was a snap and using it to send messages to the wife was great.

One thing to be aware of; mileage tracking. I’ve been using the tracking feature on a few rides with the ten minute interval setting. When comparing that distance to that tracked with Gaia GPS on my phone, the distance displayed on the Mini is usually far less.

My guess on this is that the Mini simply tracks the distance as the crow flies between those points between the ten minute intervals. When doing so in varied, tight or twisty terrain; the mileage can be way off. Usually lower.

Something to keep in mind.
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I've noticed my BT doesn't always pair right away, but it always seems to eventually.

I took mine on a hike last weekend where it stayed inside my bag, and when I pulled out my phone to check where I was the signal was loud and clear. The only draw back is the trail we were on wasn't on the Earthmate app, so I wasn't able to use it navigate that section. I ended up needing to use the AllTrails app, which had the trail but relied on my phone's GPS which worked well enough, but isn't quite as accurate.

Still digging it, and I still need to try out tracking - both offline and via satellite updates as I've done neither yet.
  14. cascade63

cascade63 Gone.

Oddometer:
    I'm considering a Mini for a trip in August through the middle of Aus. I already have a PLB for my " I am in a life threatening situation help now moment. " so I am very comfortable with that. What I am looking at the mini for is simply using the preset messages as in -: 1. I'm safe and well, having fun. 2. I'm ok but bike is broken down, need assistance or 3. Having issues but can progress slowly. or something like that.
    I also want it for others to see my location and progress and this is where I am a little confused. I had a spot many years ago and wife and others could look on the page and see where I have been and where I am. Now with this mini subscription it says tracking points are ( for Austalia ) $0.15c each, same amount for Location Ping. Does this mean I have to pay this amount to show where I am going on a map my wife can access ??
    Sorry if its a stupid question but I dont understand this part of it.
  15. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @cascade63 Yes and no. A few things...

When you send any message, including your presets, you can have it include your location. That means that free presets can also include a free tracking point that others can see on your map.

In addition, the unit can log tracking points "offline" - that is, it records them but doesn't upload them via satellite. If connected to your phone, it will sync with your Garmin account and load those points up once you're on mobile data or wifi. This means your points will be available for others to see, though delayed based on your data coverage on your phone.

If you want to send points in real time, automatically (i.e. without sending a message), and where you have no mobile data or wifi, you'll need to enable online tracking, and each of those will cost you 15 cents.
    nibby, cascade63 and BobcatSig like this.
  16. cascade63

cascade63 Gone.

Oddometer:
    Thankyou for the clarification ASR, just what I needed to know. Because of where I am going and the fact that some places are very remote for peace of mind my wife would prefer real time like Spot provides. That side of it has put me off the inReach due to the live tracking. I can hire a Spot which includes subscription for the month I will be travelling so that looks like the preferred option. As you can see by the map our coverage in the middle is a little uhmmm sparse.[​IMG]
  17. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can do the same with the inReach -- and in my experience and research (I have three we use for work) the inReach is better.

They have a subscription plan that you can use when you need it, then turn it off. It is really very easy to use.

The live tracking is excellent, and you can vary the amount of time between when it updates -- you can travel every 5 minutes, 10, etc. Up to you.

What I've liked about it is that the combination of excellent BlueTooth connectivity with a smartphone makes it really easy to use, and the sat coverage is outstanding. We've been using even the older models for years, and they have been great. Spot is starting to catch up, but my experience is that the inReach is still ahead of them by quite a lot.
    cascade63 likes this.
  18. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked but don't see a cradle for the Mini? where did you find it?
  19. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO carrying the device on the bike defeats the purpose of having it at all. You should really consider wearing /carrying the device on your body at all times when riding. If you have an off and get hurt you’re very likely to not be able to get back to the bike to activate SOS. Charge the unit at night when stopped.
    Pch123 likes this.
  20. Fosters

Fosters Loner Supporter

Oddometer:
    A nice feature is the fact that it also connects to my Fenix 5x, which affords me the luxury of mounting the mini in the bike and still having emergency capability on my person