Garmin inReach Mini - got one?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by thirsty 1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you activate the SOS function from the watch? I am pretty sure you can only do that from the device itself.
  2. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can activate the SOS,
    The watch pretty much mirrors all the mini functions
  3. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Wow, didn't think that was possible. Great feature. Now I want another $800 device (the Fenix).
    Fosters likes this.
  4. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. I always carry my inReach in a pocket, but do worry about getting hurt by it in an off. Just looked at Garmin's website. If the long battery life holds up, that is a game changer...
  5. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the Mini. With the bike hooked up to a battery tender, and the InReach hooked up to a charger, I plan to keep the live tracking on 24/7 so when I'm not riding I can just stow the unit in the bike somewhere in case of theft. Can anyone think of a reason why I can't do this?
  6. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    What plan are you on for unlimited tracking??
  7. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I noticed while on a trip that if I had the unit on while by being charged on the bike, it would turn itself off when I unplugged it. If it's always plugged in I suppose it would stay on, but if it ever lost the charge signal for some reason it could turn off without you knowing.

The only other thing to consider is stowing it somewhere where it can still send out a signal. Mine works fine in a jacket pocket or in a tank bag - not sure if it would still work under a seat or behind any plastics, though.
    CrazyCooter and eduro like this.
  8. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not under a seat or deep in panniers. That said, I've gotten a signal in pretty deep forest cover, and in a bamboo house on the Thai/Burma border (straw roof).

You can also set it to only ping or track if it is moving. That way you don't end up with a bunch of points all scattered around the same almost exact location (since the GPS single will drift a bit). It will track to where you go, but once you're there it doesn't drop points. (And no, I don't remember how to turn that on!)

So while you CAN do it, I'm not sure why you'd want it on tracking 24/7. Having the Sat connection for incoming messages, that I can see (and we do that sometimes with our other units).
    eduro likes this.
  9. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx! I was initially looking at the InReach along with a theft tracking device that uses a SIM card for a data connection, but since I already have a device that works off Iridium, why even bother with a separate tracking device & subscription. I'll just keep it tucked away in the tank bag. :thumb
    markinthailand likes this.
  10. svneko

svneko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Say you crash in the middle of nowhere. How would you know who to send an emergency message to? Where does the SOS message go and what does it say?
  11. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you press the SOS button the inReach contacts the GEOS organization with your location. They will initiate messaging with you if possible to get the details of your situation. GEOS will notify the proper emergency response services based on your location.
    Fast1 likes this.
  12. svneko

svneko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. You gave me the magic word to find this: https://inreach.roadpost.ca/geos-emergency-response/ Very helpful.
    Fast1 likes this.
  13. Charles Edlund

Charles Edlund ChazEd

Oddometer:
    Thank all for great breakdown of this product! Can someone in the know give a run down on what tech is required by my "significant other" in order to monitor and/or receive/respond to my transmissions. Is she uploading Earthmate on her phone/IPAD? or, logging into Garmin after receiving Email notifications from Mini...etc. I may have to use my son as primary contact if procedures are too OK BOOMer for the misses... Thanks again!
  14. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Nothing of the sort.

They'll receive either a text or an email that contains the message and, if you choose, a link to view your location. They can reply directly to the text or email, they'll just need to keep in mind the character limit. Your location is displayed in Garmin's web app, so it just takes them to a website. There's no additional software they need.
  15. Addapost

Oddometer:
    When you register your device and create your account you will be given a webpage address that will show a map with your location and track on it. You can give that url to anyone you want. They just need an internet connection and any device that will connect to the internet. No App or software involved.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
  17. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    You can also set it up so you can request the location from the webpage you set up for sharing. It doesn't require any user action so if the bike was stolen you could get the location this way also.

Edit: you don't need to have tracking enabled to use this feature but you do have to set it up in the social options.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a thought....for those of you that own inReach devices, and recreate in groups (small to large) that it would be of value to have the ability to send a "Location Request" message from your inReach device directly to another inReach address, or group of addresses (assuming the target inReach(s) had "location request" enabled)?

This simple new feature would enable the requestor to locate their riding/hiking/kayaking/etc buddies without them needing to respond to the requestor location request. This is similar to using the MapShare Location request but in this case there is no need to contact someone who has access to a network connection to locate your buddies. Of course to extend this you could then show the returned location message(s) on your inReach map display or smartphone Earthmate/Explore app.

If you think this would be a good addition to your inReach why not make a feature request, here.
    Feel free to cut and past any of the above...:beer
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  19. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

This is a good idea. I copied and pasted your comments. Thanks!
  20. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    THe latest issue I'm having with my InReach is that XT GPS, which is connected to my Mini (a super cool function, btw), isn't controlling the Mini like it should. Ideally, I can now use my XT to read, create, and send messages. But now when I do that, all I get is a pending message on the XT.

Anyone else have this issue?