Garmin inReach Mini - got one?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by thirsty 1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mini is ordered and set to arrive on Monday. Looking for a mount/carry idea. I understand I want it on my bod in many situations but on an extended trip involving lots of "civilized travel" sos might not be needed but tracking would. So I need both an on board solution and alternative to the unit bumping around on a biner or in a pocket. I try not to carry hard items in my pockets. How do you carry?
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop makes a slick little harness. https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/tracker-packer/

I strap it to the strap my pack, similar to what's pictured in the link above. When you're on-road and don't need it at hand, simply remove it and toss it in your tank bag.
    thirsty 1, DRTBYK and duggram like this.
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    In a pocket. The only time it's anywhere else is if I need to charge it while riding, and then it's in the tank bag.
  4. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally get the "nothing in pocket" thing. That is my rule too. Except for the mini. 100% in the pocket. No exceptions.
    AllSeasonRider and thirsty 1 like this.
  5. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you ever have connection issues with it inside a pocket? I keep mine on the outside but f my jacket thinking it might not always connect to satellite otherwise.
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traveled all over the globe with my inReach in my pocket or Bar-pack depending upon what kind of riding I'm doing and never have I lost a Tracking/location message. Now, if you are in deep tree cover or very steep canyons you may need to have clear line-of-sight to the sky and inReach antenna pointing up.
  7. Addapost

Oddometer:
    I have not had any issues with the mini logging data FROM the sky birds OR sending 10 minute tracking pings up to the satellites. Nor have I had anything more than a 2 or 3 minute delay sending text messages up. That includes riding in deep thick forests here on the east coast and the southeast. I like the texting and the route tracking but let's face it, the primary reason for carrying it is the nuclear option SOS. If that happens on a motorcycle it is likely to involve an unplanned dismount. That could possibly involve having a hard time getting back to the bike. So I want it on my body in an easily accessible spot. I carry it in an upper chest pocket, which may help with sat signals. Another consideration is I was solo. I might not be so dogmatic about wearing it if I was with other riders. It's a fantastic gadget.
    tntriumph and DRTBYK like this.
  8. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I had mine on a loop on the hem of my jacket it would get sandwiched between the side of the seat and my leg and miss tracking points so I thought surely it would do the same inside my jacket pocket. I’ll give it a test in the pocket.
  9. Meritlane

Oddometer:
    The mini arrived and I am in the black hole of figuring it out. I'm disappointed to learn that you can no longer change users on the device. I was hoping the wife could use it on a big hike this weekend. Surely there is a workaround...
  10. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Why can't she use it?
  11. Meritlane

Oddometer:
    She can take it, but if activated it thinks it’s me, so the info and emergency contacts would be incorrect.
    This from Garmin
    Due to recent changes in privacy laws — Garmin inReach subscribers with a personal Freedom or Annual subscription plan can no longer add new users to their Explore account. At this time, inReach subscribers with these personal subscription plans that currently have multiple users will retain those existing sub users in their Explore account. However, the ability to add any new users has been removed.
  12. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this has been posted but this guy has a great tutorial.
    Meritlane likes this.