1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin inreach mini

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by telejojo, Oct 6, 2018.

1. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I'm riding from Alabama out west maby all the way to CA. and was looking at the Garmin mini. Will it pair with your phone so if you are broke down in the middle of nowhere so you could call help? I know there is an SOS button but I wouldn't want to declare an emergency just a rollback or etc.
  2. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes
  3. Onelugnut

Onelugnut n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the full size inreach. you can send a text through satellite from just about any place. I think i pay about $25 a month and it gives me a few "free" text. there is the option to set up 5 pre-written text to send that doesn't count towards the free text. it is nice that my wife can follow me on her phone to see where I am and if I am still moving. I dont think it will pair with a cell to make a sat call just text.
  4. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it will not pair to allow you to have voice Communications but it does give you text capability anywhere on the planet as far as I know. I used the cheapest plan and I use the pre-made messages and that has worked well for me. you can even send a text message without a phone but it is frustratingly slow from the small screen.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  5. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the cheapest plan. Preset texts are free and I change them up before trips if needed. Usually they are texts back to my wife letting her know I’m still alive, where I camped for the night or if I’m behind schedule but still doing ok. You can set your texts to attach a link to your gps location automatically with each message. When paired with a phone texting or emailing anyone is easy, just select a contact and type like normal. If I’m getting out in the backcountry pretty far I will turn on the tracking feature and have it send out a point every 30min so I can be tracked down even if I’m unable to text or push the SOS button.
  6. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of these come with a carabiner clip to allow you to clip them to yourself. there's a story of a guy who was thrown from a motorcycle and hurt very badly and would not have been able to crawl back to the motorcycle to initiate the SOS. So keep these devices on you.
  7. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are you going to text if your broke down in the middle of nowhere? You wouldn't know a towing service or nothing. I don't know what you can do but push the SOS. There is no way to call a rollback or help.
  8. That.guy

Oddometer:
    The SOS is an emergency call for assistance and can be a very expensive button. Much easier in most cases to simply text someone with the details of the situation and get the appropriate help on the way.
    250senuf likes this.
  9. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    believe it or not good sam has an rv policy that covers motorcycles (you do not need to have an rv) that will tow you hundreds of miles and it's like @$100. I checked and they can't be contacted by text but you could give your gps coordinates to a 3rd party and have them call them for a motorcycle tow...ie flatbed.
  10. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did buy the 1 time insurance from inreach for a rescue...it seemed worth it to me but the sos should not be used unless it's dire imho.
    250senuf likes this.
  11. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that I was just thinking about being broke in the middle of nowhere desert.mountains. or someplace you don't where you are and what good is texting going to do they won't know either.I'm going out west on my Vulcan and camping all the way so I will be in some remote places I guess I would need a Sat phone. Maby I could say I was somewhere between certain towns and they could google a towing service.
  12. That.guy

Oddometer:
    That’s why I mentioned setting it up so each text you send includes your exact gps location and having your gps track sent as well. This allows whoever you text to know exactly where you are and how you got there. You can send as many texts as needed to communicate exactly what you need to get fixed or picked up and the person on the other end can get that help arranged and on the way.
  13. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is it that you don't know your location? Your GPS has your EXACT location, latitude and longitude. Type those numbers in the text and say "send help" Or pizza, or beer, or whatever.
    scfrank likes this.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    now you're making a lot more sense.
  15. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it figured out everything is good. You can send a preloaded text to whoever you chose and a link will pop up they can click on and it will show your exact position.
  16. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    How's the tracking ? Can I look to see my route on a lap top after or during my trip
  17. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every message sent from the device, predefined or written on the fly, can include a link to your location.

The InReach has two types of tracking that are running when you have the "tracking" feature activated.

1) Every ten minutes (or longer if you choose) your position is recorded and sent via satellite. These track points are available immediately for anyone with access to your MapShare page to view.

2) The device will record your position as frequently as every 1 second (again, configurable) and store this in an internal log. This is immediately viewable on the Earthmate app on your phone. It becomes viewable on your MapShare page when your device is synced to your Garmin account. If you are using the Earthmate phone app syncing occurs basically whenever your phone has a connection to the internet. If you are not using the phone app then you need to connect the device to your computer/laptop with a cable and use the sync program. This mechanism is also how you would extract any waypoints that you may have saved in the device along the way.

Here is a screenshot of a 2-minute interval track (light blue) on the Earthmate app on my iPhone XS

[​IMG]
    craigincali likes this.
  18. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thank you
  19. That.guy

Oddometer:
    It will also display the location of where you sent messages from and the location other Inreach users were at when they send you a message. Communicating between devices is easy and being able to see where each other are at on the map helps when trying to arrange a meeting spot when out in the backcountry.
  20. RadicalTireSkid

RadicalTireSkid BURNOUT WHEELIE!!!!!

Oddometer:
    I guess this is a bit late but...

what's the advantage of the inreach explorer vs the SE vs the mini???

From Garmin it looks like the explorer can maybe be used to track routes (like a normal GPS)
    The SE just looks like it is a mini with a screen