Garmin InReach SE+ vs DeLorme InReach SE

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Bigguy136, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've looked thru a few threads and most talk is about if you can load tracs ect.
    I need a GPS tracker for going to Inuvik for family to know I'm safe. Just something that can ping my location that they can follow and maybe a text message.
    The Delorme is about $115 cheaper and appear to be the same. I looked at subscription but the Garmin page doesn't say if the subscription is for both the Garmin and DeLorme or just the Garmin.
    Any reason to spend the extra $115?
    Thanks!
  2. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I'd like to ask the same question. Maybe there's more info or experience out there now. Or a more appropriate forum even. Why buy the Garmin version of the inReach? Does it do anything more or better than the DeLorme? Thanks.
  3. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I bought the Delorme inReach SE. I didn't get it for maps or linking to phones ect. It was a cheaper option than the Garmin inReach and did everything I needed. For me, the difference was did I want the SOS button on the side (Garmin) or on the front (DeLorme). They are the same and use the same service.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

that's called the "Garmin tax"...

you really need to use one of them in person to see just how little it does as far as mapping and navigation. it relies heavily on your smartphone to do things... see the YouTube videos, before the disappointment ;-)

the comments section on this video yield some real light on what it can and cannot do

tldr:
    you don't want to try and use this for navigation.
    grisen likes this.
  5. Sailorlite

Oddometer:
    In my case, as in the OP's, the extra GPS feature is not something I want - just the basic emergency communication and tracking.
    bighopper and Bigguy136 like this.
  6. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the Delorme SE for use on a 3 month trip to Australia, Sept thru Nov. And came to the same conclusion that Garmin SE didn't give much more than the $100+ difference than the Delorme SE & it still qualifies for $75CDN rebate if purchased prior to July 31st & registered by 7th Aug. Also a $75 rebate on plan.
  8. Sailorlite

Oddometer:
    Could someone explain the cost of an inReach plan for say 9 mo. per year? The SPOT plan seems to cost $100-$200/yr. depending on negotiating skills and other factors. I've been satisfied with the SPOT but would be willing to pay a little more per year for the inReach service, but how much more is it? Thanks.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    inReach has various plans and prices vary. Check out their website. You can suspend service. You can change plans as much as you like although there is a charge after a certain number of changes.
  10. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    The spot was instantly outdated the day Inreach released theirs.
    The ability to send and receive messages is the factor between the 2 of them.
    Can your spot send or receive a text message?
    Which Inreach plan fits your needs? How many messages do you want to send and get?

That is the question you need to ask
    AugustFalcon likes this.