Garmin inReach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duffylasker, May 30, 2017.

1. duffylasker

duffylasker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone tried a Garmin inReach? ... the idea seems clever: get gps info and post messages while optionally feeding data to your smartphone. plus, the gps satellite service can be monthly. need some feedback please.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it actually doesn't feed anything to the smartphone or it's app. it DEPENDS on the smartphone to generate routes, share stuff, import/export, and generate text messages, which it then pushes to the gps thing-a-ma-bobs over head. you have to register the device, at a computer, with internet access, before you can do that. the android application will not start up until you have registered it, and paid for a subscription service. if you fail to get -everything- done before you leave the house, you get this:
    Screenshot_2017-05-31-05-36-17.png
  4. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    hello,
    my setup is a kyocera duraforce pro, which I run rever, here we go mapping and inreaches android add-on, all of this is offline via gps only...the inreach does work in conjunction with the android app, you just need to link them together via bluetooth...
    that said I don't do that because my inreach is for backup to the duraforce (if it fails) and for emergencies that require real help. I have the insurance through garmin for (2) 500,000.00 each emergency assistances. also unlike the spot system, they will text you through the unit to discuss the issue with you. I personally like this as it assures me that someone on the other end is helping...I can also text friends or family to update my position and status...
    I have the tracking on when ever I am out on the trail, as well as mapshare links to 4 different people so they can track me, this is also good because if the SOS signal is hit, garmin knows where you are at, via both tracking and gps lat/long readings...
    yes it does require a subscription to the service, but it can be suspended at anytime and restarted at anytime, so when you don't need it, don't pay for it...
  5. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    my inreach does feed routing and waypoints to my offline (I don't have a carrier) duraforce pro...I can upload mapping on the fly to the gps as well...the trick is that the inreach only mates with one other unit (at a time), so it needs to be your primary mapping system, in this case it is my duraforce pro...
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Is it sharing a pre made track. Or one that it created ?
  7. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    it is linked together, so they work in tandum...if you make a track on the "mirror" ie. the cellphone, it appears on the garmin, and vice versa...
    you can also make tracks on the website, download them to your garmin and they appear on the "mirror"...
    you can also transcribe text messages on the "mirror" and send them up to the sky via the garmin, but originated on the "mirror"...
    the thing to consider is the overall system, I like rever for their "social" side, in that all rides that other riders have done and allowed to be public show up on the app, so you can go on rides that may be new to you, but have been worked out by others, as well as you can add your rides to the system,and make it better as well...garmins system is not built to be shared in as easily a way...
    also, rever is tied to butler maps, the maker of motorcycle exclusive maps as well as the bdr routes...
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    So the in reach did not create the route?
  9. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    like I said earlier, you have 3 choices;
    if you want to go from point A to point B,
    1) go online with the computer and make a route, it will then download to your gps via the sky...
    2) make the route up on the mapping system (delorme/garmin earthmate in google play), it will then sync with the garmin...
    3) just ride the route and the garmin will log points and upload them to the garmin system, as well as show you where you have been on the phone.

I believe that the system is sound, but I still use rever for alot of my rides because I tend to travel solo most of the time and don't care to spend hours/days adventuring out in the boonies by my self with no on hand assistance, so I tend to travel known routes. ie. BDRs...
    that said, the garmin system is better outside of the U.S. as garmin is a world wide mapping system...
  10. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    didn't mean to hijack your thread, but these are questions you may have as well.
    I think that although it is a more expensive system, it would pay for itself the first time you need it...(unless you put the value of you life that low)
    the gps system is 24k mapping, it is extensive and very good, it doesn't tell you where to go, as that would be rude and it really doesn't know where you want to go (or should go)...but it is a good system especially if you tend (like me) to travel solo into areas without alot of help around...
    hope that these questions and responses are helping in you endeavor...
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Ok so the device does not create routes.
    Does it receive routes via to way GPS , or does it require the smartphone for connectivity?

I thought it uploaded and downloaded stuff via GPS ?
  12. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    No, the cellphone is not needed. The idea of a cellphone is because the screen is better and easier to work with, and allows for new route creating on the fly (you probably don't want to take your laptop out with you)...
    What It downloads via gps is tracking from your computer, text messages from friends/family, weather if you ask for it and most importantly, communications with rescue should you set an SOS...
    What it uploads is your texts out to family/friends, mapshare info, track logs, weather requests, and SOS...
    When i'm out riding, my duraforce is in airplane mode running on gps, I don't even have service on it. My galaxy with cell service is turned off and is stowed away...
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:

Im reading the manual, and it does not show route creation on the Garmin, which is why I asked if the smartphone was required to create routes, upload and download routes. Apparently that is the only way route creation happens unless you have a laptop with you. Correct?
  14. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    you can't create a "premade" route on the garmin, that can only be done on the computer, and in a lesser degree on a bluetooth attached cellphone/tablet...(yes you can link a tablet to the garmin as well), so you are partially correct, after the ride, you can create a route of where you have been on the garmin.
    after you ride someplace using a app like rever (which uses the gps on the phone) you can save the garmin route as a gpx file and export to other garmin gps units as well as into rever, although rever will auto save the route for you to later decide if you want to keep it or not...
    that is what I have a dedicated cellphone (the duraforce pro) for, it is how I work out tracks without a computer, and if I like the route, I export it as a (gpx) route and usually save it on my rever account so other people can enjoy the route as well...
    ohgood likes this.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:

bam, that's sticky material right there. thank you.

I kept reading different reviews that skipped over if it could actually be used for navigation... and wondered why. thanks again
  16. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    Ya as I was saying earlier, I actually use "here we go" and "rever" for my navigating, and use the garmin as a backup and of course for texting/emergencies just because of a lack of good navigation abilities. Never understood why they can't figure out the simplicity of putting a nav course on the road instead of over a 12000ft mountain without even a hiking trail...
    my garmin 64 will set up tracks on the gps and put you on the road, be it gravel or paved...
  17. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyway used this device in Mexico yet? I understand it comes preloaded with topo maps for North America and that Canada and the US are 24K but Mexico is a lower resolution. Thinking of purchasing one but would be interested on any feedback from users who've used it in Mexico.
  18. Dustination

Dustination n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the details on the inreach. I just picked one up and im working my way through it. This helps!
  19. Dustination

Dustination n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, does anyone have a suggestion for a good handlebar mount for Explorer inreach?
  20. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    I use the inreach charger mount with a ram mount for handle bars. See pic... 20170623_202505.jpg
    nickgindy likes this.