Garmin inReach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duffylasker, May 30, 2017.

1. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks I was actually trying to find an actual installed pic of it. Does it hold the inreach pretty well?
  2. hawkie41

hawkie41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have this and yes - it 'clicks' in with a positive click and seems to be very secure. I've not ever felt the need to remove it from the mount because of bumps or vibration.
  3. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you pair the inReach to a phone/ tablet it sinks all tracks to the phone/tablet, pre setup as well as the tracks the inReach has recorded.
  4. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Yep, it does.
  5. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Actually the apps works just fine with or without the inReach device, and I’d doesn’t matter if your device is registered. All that matters is that you have a current inReach subscription. You sign into the app with the same credentials as the website.
  6. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the app does not support the creation of tracks, and the only way to get Tracks you have created into the inReach and phone/ tablet is to drop them in on the website. I don’t believe the comment above about tracks being downloaded to the via satilite is correct. I believe you have to plug into your computer, go to the web app and sync the unit. I might be wrong about this, but I don’t think so.

Relative to tracks, the only think uploaded is points at ten minutes intervals. The inReach records point every one minute, depending on your settings, but only uploads a point every 10 minutes. So you get a lot of straight lines on the map between these points. When you sync the inReach it loads in the track with dropped every minute. Hope that makes sense.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i checked just now, users have to have an inreach device imei and authorization code to create an account (which requires an inreach device in hand), cellular service, and active subscription after the setup process, to use the phone application.

https://account.inreach.garmin.com/activate/Activation/DeviceValidation?cultureCode=en-IE

No inreach device, no login, no app, no navigation

If anything happens in the field and an application update or new phone is needed, the user is screwed until they get back to cellular service and go through the registration process again. Not great for adventures.

If it was possible to pay once and setup/use the application offline, I wouldn't mind.... But this is another really poorly thought out setup process for a navigation application.
  8. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    I just had to swap devices because my delorme inReach explorer died. When I called Garmin to ask about sending it in for repair I was told I had two options, buy a refurbished version of what I had for $225, which is a lot compared to the likely repair cost for a unit that just seemed to have a firmware issue, or upgrade to the new Garmin unit for 20% off retail. Didn’t really want the since my delorme outperformed my buddy’s Garmin by a significant margin in terms of speed to send and receive messages, but the bigger screen and mapping features drew me in.

During the swap there was a period where my delorme was released from the account, and the new unit not yet arrived and activated. During this period the app worked fine.

The scenario you describe will be an issue initially only. Once you’ve setup your account and registered your device the app will work. If your device then takes a shit on you in the middle of nowhere, no worries, the app will continue working. Once the imei number is in your account info you’re good. Doesn’t matter if the inReach on, trust me. I’ve used the app when I haven’t even turned on my inReach in the last year and it works just fine.

If your unit dies in some place where you are able to get a new unit, but have no access to the web, no worries, Garmin will update your account with info for the new unit, assuming you can a least call them, then you just do the activation via satellite in the field.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

Mmmm, dubious
  10. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    Two hard smoke outs, and it stayed in the cradle, even while I was banging my ass off the rocks...
  11. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to understand your comments...My Garmin works without a phone...and it works with the phone, when I don't have coverage, which is pretty much all the time I am out in the backwoods...If you set up an account, garmin will auto-bill your credit card and so your service doesn't have a break unless you ask to stop the service...
    and as far as Garmin looks at it, its purpose is not as a navigational tool, but as (the best in my opinion) a backup for emergency and/or life threatening issues...
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    break a phone while adventureing, and you can't pair your buddies to continue until you go back to cellular service, register, pair, etc

the earth mate app won't do anything until paired/registered via online.

the inreach won't navigate (this term is used very loosely when referring to the inreach) until it receives routes from the app.

so instead of the devices being redundant, they are dependent on each other.
  13. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    I guess that maybe true...I don't use the earth mate app, as I have other and far better ways to figure my way about, last summer I rode 5 western BDR's before I even knew there was an app for the phone...I use the inreach for what its main purpose is and that is to call for help when needed, get local weather and stay in touch with family/friends so they don't get their panties in a wad...
    ohgood likes this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    cool. the way it's marketed, its like they insinuate it's useful for navigation... but it's more like an after thought
  15. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    because it does have rather detailed maps loaded on it, it would seem to be worth something...but the only thing that I would see it worth though is tracking back to a start point, thinking hiking out into the woods...floating on the ocean...etc. etc.
    the goofy thing is it has better maps stock than most other garmins (without add-on maps)...it just doesn't have a "navigational chip"...oh well...
    thats why I use it for comms pretty much exclusively...maybe there will be an update to the software in the future...
  16. IMLST_AZ

IMLST_AZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I understand your point here??? If I break my phone it has exactly nothing to do with the function of my inreach, doesn't matter if I have cellular service, whether I'm using the app and, or paired to my phone.... and whatever etc means. The inreach has all the maps loaded on it. I follow the routes that I create and load on the device. My route to follow shows on the screen of the inreach regardless of whether I'm tethered to the phone or not. A working phone is not required.

The earth mate app is only used on my "phone" when I am connected blue tooth to the inreach. Since I have an inreach that is registered online that's not a problem. I guess if I wanted to use all the features the earth mate app without having an inreach, then that would be a stumbling block. I don't know too many companies that allow you to use their technology for free. And if they do...it's a bullshit version and loaded with ads or just a fraction of the actual functionality. The nice part about the phone connectivity is two fold. One, the screen on my phone is 3x the size and much higher resolution and Two, much easier to use touch screen and type messages on. None of which is necessary to the function of the inreach by itself but handy nonetheless.

Maybe we have a different definition of navigation. I have navigated thousands of miles using my inreach. I build a route, load it on my device and follow the blue line. It works... I follow the line on the screen. Isn't that what navigating is? If I'm in front of a Walgreen's and I want to know where the nearest Starbucks is, that's when I would get out my phone and check google maps I guess. But I would have to argue the point here.... that is what I would call building a route. What happens if I don't like the route that google maps builds me? or any other route building software? In the case I want to take the route I build, then I load it in to my device and "NAVIGATE" that route by following the line on the screen. In this case... the inreach is absolutely capable of navigating anywhere in the world. If you want find the nearest pharmacy and their hours, chances are you are in cell service then you could consult google maps (BUILD A ROUTE). Can you use a hammer to drive a screw? Sure... but there's better ways to do a certain job.

Again... It has usefully navigated me through thousands of on and off road miles, leaving an impeccable breadcrumb trail of where I have been. Anybody I choose to share my route with follows along in pretty much real time. Each bread crumb left in 2 minute intervals leaves information including my location, heading, speed and elevation. Again.... all completely independent of the earth mate app or not. All while having the ability to communicate with anybody in the world with a phone that can receive a text and any computer able to receive email regardless of cell service.

What is this "navigational chip" you speak of? You mean the ability to find the nearest chinese buffet(ROUTE BUILDING)? That's what google is for. You have a phone with google maps on it right? Use it. Again.... if you build a route on any number of route building software applications you can load it on an inreach. That is the point at which you begin to "navigate". Finding the nearest coffee shop (ROUTE BUILDING) is not the primary function of a rugged, weatherproof GPS/Satellite communication/tracking device.

Aside from all of this.... most all of my route building begins from "GASP" referencing "GASP AGAIN" a paper map. Of which I generally carry with me, since I have found their reliability factor to be pretty god damn astounding!
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:

1 the point is that creating a new route will require using an external device. the inreach does not have the capability to create routes, like other GPS units do. if that external device hasn't been paired (phone/tablet) it will require network connectivity to register/pair.

2 see above.
    3 ditto. you have to rely on another device to create the route. that means carrying a laptop/phone/etc to create a route. that's the point here
    4 OK, now I'm sure you've missed the point. if your plans change, how are you going to create and load that new route?
    Thinwater likes this.
  18. IMLST_AZ

IMLST_AZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. OK... I'm glad to see that we agree "navigating" and "route building" are actually two different things. So when you said "the inreach won't navigate (this term is used very loosely when referring to the inreach) until it receives routes from the app." What you really meant to say was. "I can't build a route on my inreach" So... can we then agree that "navigating" in this context is actually following the line on the screen to get you from point A to point B? Safe to say then... you don't like the work required to get the magic line on the screen to tell you where go? That part has little to do with the ability of the inreach to "navigate". One could even go so far as to say I am the one actually navigating... the line on the screen is just a suggested way to get there?

2. See above

3. Agreed... I build a route on another device. Load it on my inreach and go. I don't bring my laptop and build routes while I'm riding my motorcycle, hiking, mountain biking, boating, cross country skiing, horseback riding, or any number of other activities. That would just be silly.

4. The point is. If my plans change... I am no longer navigating my pre-selected route, I am now exploring. I can now use situational awareness, I can reference the fantastic selection of maps contained in my inreach, I can consult a paper map or I can even just see where the road takes me. I could even use my phone if I was resourceful enough to download a map of my intended travel area ahead of time so I could use google maps to build a route off line.

I'm not trying to have a pissing contest here. I am trying to point out the fact that an inreach is an excellent tool that has the capability to communicate "and" navigate anywhere in the world. I would be remiss if I sat idly by while you passed along a mis-informed opinion of it's usefulness.
    Thinwater likes this.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    no, I actually meant what I typed, not your interpretation of it, above.

I'm actually clarifying that the inreach cannot create, or navigate, routes.

if you prefer to wing it, that's cool, I enjoy exploring. most of the time I prefer to get to the destination, and creating a new route to supplement the route that either wasn't possible, or less fun than expected, is a really nice option to have.

:-)
  20. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    If you are not trying to have a pissing contest then might I suggest that you don't presume that "One could even go so far as to say I am the one actually navigating... " B.S.
    If you are going to make assumptions about our conversation, you might try reading earlier posts' to understand were the conversation started at and moved to...
    that being said, my "opinions" are based on facts...1. I have been using an inreach for 3 years before garmin purchased Delorme and converted the inreach for themselves...ie. I do have a bit of experience in using the inreach. 2. Last year I broke my wrist in a wipe out going up a hill and the inreach was worthless for navigating me to a hospital...unlike my garmin 64s, that got me to the front door of a fire and rescue medical squad, so it is not as good at getting about "on the fly"...
    3. Just as a point, I don't use Google maps for navigating...I can find about anything I need by knowing the area and actually getting out and seeing the world, and google maps aren't worth crap outside of the U.S. which is were I send a fair bit of time, and I hate chinese food and refuse to drink coffee from starbucks or any other major coffee chains...