Garmin inReach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duffylasker, May 30, 2017.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I think Garmin considers the 64 and inreach the same kind of genre (hiking/outdoors) of devices.

does that mean you can share tracks/stuff wirelessly between the two of them?

there is always some little known thing that surprises me about these things. :-)
  2. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    I don't think that a person can link the two wirelessly, although I have never tried, but the 64s doesn't have the ability to transmit wirelessly, at least not that I have found...it may be able to link via wires (never tried), if person would want two gps units mounted on our limited space cockpits....
    the 64s is a great navigational unit, it works just like a vehicle gps but with the added benefit of logging and navigating to gps points. although unit doesn't come with any quality maps so a person needs to buy micro sd cards that have the detailed maps on them.
    I carry it in my bags, because of its great nav ability (i have cards for more every inch of land from the southern tip of argentina up to the top of alaska) and its always good to have a backup that you can trust...
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:

just found a video of the 64 and Oregon transferring, so the 64 is capable. I bet since the inreach can transfer to phones it can also. that might be pretty handy in the field
  4. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    well, thats interesting, I didn't see anyway to make the 64 do that, may have to do some more research...either way, I learned something new :y0!...and that is always good...Thank you...
    ohgood likes this.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

we both did, it's always good to poke things with a stick in the interest of curiosity!
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin GPSs talking to each other is via a proprietory version of NFC. Only works between certain units.
    inReach to cell phone is via bluetooth.
  7. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone carry the Garmin Inreach on their person while riding?.....
    If you were thrown from the bike or the bike goes into water... wouldn't it be advantageous to have it on you so you could call help or use the S.O.S function?
    I purchased the cradle for my unit but I am second guessing if I want to mount it or put it on me somewhere...
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    well, that's surprising ! I thought NFC was only good for a couple cm, like tap n pay ?
  9. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    If I ever find a deal on one of them, I'll be putting it on my person. I'd hate to have it on the bike and not be able to reach it.
    Overanalyze likes this.
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it isn't NFC but whatever it is it barely plays nice with some other Garmin units.
    ohgood likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:

Not very “in reach” if you’re in a ditch 29 feet from your bike ;P
  12. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an impulsive and therefore often solo adventure rider, I splurged and use both the Garmin InReach Explorer+ (Iridium) and SPOT3 (Globalstar) simultaneously. Never had a problem with either. Can't speak to the InReach's BT wireless connectivity; always plug the puter in and load tracks to iPhone and InReach. SPOT does the dirty work on the handlebars, InReach and iPhone stay on my person. They won't be much use if I bail out low side and watch poopsie do cartwheels into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Both work well in reasonable canyons/forests/rain but of course there's a practical limit to any satellite device. Don't expect these things to work at the bottom of an abandoned mine shaft--not much you can do there but... listen for drums in the deep. :flush
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  13. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.giantloopmoto.com/produc...mergency-beacon-2-way-satellite-communicator/
  14. Saltyseaman

Saltyseaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep it on me for that very reason and consider it an emergency communication device that just so happens to also provide me with a backup GPS should my primary GPS fail. With the breadcrumbs you can at least backtrack out and know if you’re making progress in the right general direction and not going in a circle (did that before!). Tried it as a primary GPS, not great results. After using it on a few solo off road trips with the added piece of mind, wouldn’t leave home without it.
  15. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    For anyone who makes it through the technical arguments above, just know that when you land at a beautiful campsite in the middle of nowhere, with no cell service, the ability to send a text to the wife or other concerned party, and say you are stopping and are safe for the night, is well worth the $25 a month it costs.

You could also read this as my wife wouldn't let me do half the things i do by myself if she didn't know where to find the identifiable body parts needed to collect the insurance money on my dumb ass.
  16. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the Inreach for about 6 months... but this is primarily for back country hunting. Now that I'm taking the trip to Alaska in July, I started looking at mounting options. I'm still considering a "wired" bike mount option but I'm a little more convinced a body type mount is the way to go.
    I ordered and received the Giant Loop mount. I like it but it definitely has it's draw backs.
    It's primarily a backpack type of mount...ie it's designed to go onto some kind of vertical strap such as a backpack shoulder strap.
    There is an extra length of velcro to extend it to be able to mount on an arm or maybe a leg...? I'm convinced the arm option would be most uncomfortable hanging on there for hours at a time though... and to keep it in place, it needs to be sort of tight. If you were riding anything more rough than a gravel road, the thing would slide down... It'd also work better if you were wearing a jacket and the thing could bunch up under the velcro strap... that might keep it up but it's be too binding and restricting... and probably hot too in the summer as the ventilation on a Klim type jacket would be cut off in the arm area.
    The bottom line is, there isn't a real easy way to mount this Inreach and I knew that when I was clicking the "buy now" option.... but I might be able to modify the strap system to work for my trip. But so far the bike mounted option looks like it's the only real way this thing will work really good.
  17. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    Just put it in your pocket.
    Overanalyze and JeepDawg like this.
  18. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I attach mine to a strap on my tank bag. If I go down, at least my wife will know my last location.

You don't need a powered mount. It'll last for days on the battery before needing to be recharged.
  19. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Played with mine on a few local rides and while at work. I personally believe it works a lot better than my Spot Gen 2 or Gen 3 ever did. Although it was a nice chunk of change I think it will be worth it.
    AdamChandler likes this.